best transmission for 351w - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default best transmission for 351w

Hey guys,
Been having lots of issues with my tranny lately and ive decided its come time to either fix or replace it.

Ive identified it as a small case cruise o matic. I for some reason always thought it was a medium size but im assuming the bolt pattern doesnt lie.

I can understand now why its always been giving me a hard time since i first bought the car.. Im assuming it just cant handle the 351.

Rather then just having it rebuilt, I might go ahead and buy something that will give me more performance. Seems like the internet is 2 sided with the c4 or c6. Just wondering what people are running here on their 351w and there opinions on the matter.

also if i should foresee any possible issues during a swap.

p.s 69 fastback, stock 351w.

thanks
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

C-4 if built properly will be the better transmission for performance. I would look at BROADERPERFORMANCE.COM The 351w uses the small block ford bolt pattern same as the 351C and 289/302
cmefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

I like to run AOD's or 4R70W's behind my 351W's, I'm addicted to having overdrive.
Both C4's and C6's are good solid transmissions. But considering how you can build a little lightweight C4 to handle more power than your 351W is likely to make I don't see any reason to use a big HEAVY C6 unless you are determined to run a bone stock automatic.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I like to run AOD's or 4R70W's behind my 351W's, I'm addicted to having overdrive.
Both C4's and C6's are good solid transmissions. But considering how you can build a little lightweight C4 to handle more power than your 351W is likely to make I don't see any reason to use a big HEAVY C6 unless you are determined to run a bone stock automatic.
I'm curious:
weight of C4 vs. AOD vs. 4R70W?
Size will the AOD and 4R70W fit in a 65/66?
Cost to build for 550HP?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default 351W

took out the C4 from my 67 351W took it to a trans guy and Poof all done and clean so posted on craigs for $400 sell today and will find a AOD from JY selling my chicken coop for $165 also need $500 for media blast maybe this weekend will be good for me !
hughnews1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-poke View Post
I'm curious:
weight of C4 vs. AOD vs. 4R70W?
Size will the AOD and 4R70W fit in a 65/66?
Cost to build for 550HP?
Are you thinking of swapping out the G force trans?

68 J code sprint, 408W
11.59@ 120.95mph in street trim.
frdnut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

For a Ford the C4 is always the winner of the lightest.
The numbers are out there but an AOD is lighter than a C6. An AOD for 550hp will probably have to be bought from Lentech or Baumann. Price them there. AOD's fit the early cars, though it's a bit tight and finding headers to fit is problematic.
a 4r70W is the somewhat upgraded electronic version of the AOD. For your purposes consider one about identical in size,weight, and shape as an AOD. They cost more as they need a stand-alone electronic controller. At least one member here has a 4R70W retrofit and loves it. My 4R70 is in my driver F150. I've retrofitted a couple of AOD's though.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

so ive been looking around for a used c4, and its impossible to find any used ones.

Spoke with a few people who think im crazy and say its impossible to have a small case cruise o matic on a 351w. Ive attached some pictures of my pan for identification.(you can see that little recess front driver side.)

If this somehow isnt the small case, maybe im better off just having it rebuilt??
If i had it rebuilt i dont want to lose out on performance i would have with the C4.

any opinions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trannyguide.jpg (14.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg tranny.jpg (95.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

It should be an FMX. Does it have an iron case?
'84 GT-350 5.0, 5-speed
'91 LX Convertible 5.0, 5-speed
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

Its probably an FMX. If you can find someone to rebuild the FMX they are not a bad transmission, just heavy. As others have said the C4 will be the lightest and they can be built to handle just about anything...all it takes is money.

I've got an AODE transmission hooked up to my 351w. Hooker Super Comp Headers clear the transmission just fine. The AODE is stronger then the AOD but you either have to have a computer controller to run the transmission or do what I did and go with a full manual shift kit. Same thing with the 4R70W. Overdrive is a wonderful thing if you are running any kind of steep gear out back. Cruising down the highway at 70mph with 4.11's is no problem.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...DSCF0139-1.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...1/DSCF3667.jpg
1969 Mach 1- 357w: 11:1 compression, ported Canfield heads, FTI billet solid roller cam, Vic Jr., 850 Mighty Demon
Full manual AODE transmission w/ 9.5" Art Carr converter; 4.11 detroit locker

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2554478
6t9mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #11 (permalink)

Food for thought. A C6 will take anything you can throw at it even in stock form. They're heavy, they're big. But, they can be had for pennies on the dollar vs a well built C4. That said, if you have a daily driver that et's don't factor into, use your FMX, a C6 or convert to an AOD. If 1/4 times matter have a C4 built to what you'll need. Even a 66-69 C4 can easily handle a stocker 351w built with good parts and they can be found everywhere including dumpsters where most end up.
rickgto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

well i cant tell if its aluminum or steel but I do have a picture maybe you guys can tell. I would go try sticking a magnet to it but the car is in storage and cant get to it anytime soon.

Maybe if it is a FMX ill just get that rebuilt to save some money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trans.jpg (92.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
For a Ford the C4 is always the winner of the lightest.
The numbers are out there but an AOD is lighter than a C6. An AOD for 550hp will probably have to be bought from Lentech or Baumann. Price them there. AOD's fit the early cars, though it's a bit tight and finding headers to fit is problematic.
a 4r70W is the somewhat upgraded electronic version of the AOD. For your purposes consider one about identical in size,weight, and shape as an AOD. They cost more as they need a stand-alone electronic controller. At least one member here has a 4R70W retrofit and loves it. My 4R70 is in my driver F150. I've retrofitted a couple of AOD's though.
Will Long tube headers fit with the AOD transmission. I have a 302ho and a AOD going in and have a set of long tube headers from a 68'. I have a 66' Coupe
ezstang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by at8once View Post
well i cant tell if its aluminum or steel but I do have a picture maybe you guys can tell. I would go try sticking a magnet to it but the car is in storage and cant get to it anytime soon.

Maybe if it is a FMX ill just get that rebuilt to save some money.
The bell housing looks to be aluminum, but I can't tell about the case. I would bet dollars to donuts that it's an FMX, as that's what came in '69/'70 Fords with a 351 windsor or cleveland.
'84 GT-350 5.0, 5-speed
'91 LX Convertible 5.0, 5-speed
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 02:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

I haven't done this, so others will have to chime in. I know there have been mentions of certain headers NOT working with an AOD but I don't remember specific brands being mentioned that do work. People do use AOD's with headers so some obviously fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.