71 Mach 1: Good buy? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 71 Mach 1: Good buy?

I have found a 1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with 89k miles, runs great, beautiful paint, as far as I know everything engine wise is stock.
I was wondering how reliable these cars are?
I understand there are MANY variables, thats why im considering bringing a mechanic out with me to check out the vehicle.
What should I look for in the car that are common issues with these vehicles?
Im currently still attending High School, and my parents concern is that this car will have alot of issues and break down frequently.
The car is also very cheaply priced at $7k which is a bit of a concern, as im assuming it implies something is wrong.
Any advice would be great, sorry about all the newby questions, im just very interested in this car, (Wanted one for years), and need to find out if its worth my time!
Jmolone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
I won a special award

Vintage Mustang tend to have rust issues. 1971-73 Mustangs have the fewest reproduction parts available of all the vintage Mustangs. You're dealing with a 42 year old car. You had better have a pile of cash or know how to work on cars. The car is going to constantly need repair of some sort. Vintage Mustangs were built cheaply and not designed to last more than about 10 years.

You're not going to like this, but I wouldn't recommend any vintage car as a teen's first car for safety reasons first and foremost. I know of at least one forum member that found this out the hard way. I know some forum members will disagree with me.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Last edited by Maxum96; 03-21-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member

My first car (still have it) was a 1967 Chevelle. It was a hot street car back in high school (still is) and everyone told me "it would be too much car". If you're responsible and have the know how and/or willingness to learn, then go for it.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/signaturepics/sigpic48336_1.gif
Fast67vellen2o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

those were what we drove back in the day. i have seen "many" new cars ripped in half during wrecks out here in lost angeles. i have never seen an old mustang rippied in two. always wear seat belt and if not equipped add a shoulder harness. any old car can be a money pit. an old mustang that has never ben completely rebuilt can be a money pit. even an old mustang thats ben rebuilt can be a money if i buy cause i will keep modifying it. i have a 68 torino thats a money pit. i have a 69 b2 to restore thats gonna be a money pit. the place i rent was built 2 years ago and is my landlords money pit ! yes he put down some really nice ceramic floor tile and used the wrong quick-set ! isnt that awful ??!! a freind had a 73 mach 1 that i used to drag race(i didnt wear drag when i raced it !) ! it was a screamer ! i say if you like that mustang and you dont mind spending money on it then buy it ! i'm all tripped out !
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 11:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmolone View Post
I was wondering how reliable these cars are?
No offense but if you have to ask this then perhaps a classic car is not for you. Are they reliable compared to a 2010 Camry? No, but that's not a fair comparison.

Reliability and unreliability are terms for new cars. These terms are only abstractly associated with classic cars. The entire experience is different than one where the sole purpose is transportation. Maintaining a classic Mustang is not easy. But the rewards are different.

If you want to know if there are trials and tribulations associated with owning a classic Mustang, the answer is yes. But they are more or less similar in nature to all cars of the era.

Last edited by jdub; 03-21-2012 at 11:06 PM.
jdub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 12:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

As the others pointed out, these are old cars, as such, they require work to keep going. You will need a decent set of tools, so add that to the budget.

If you like working on cars, it really isn't a bad choice. I purchased my '69 Mustang during my senior year and enjoyed many years of driving it (and fixing/restoring/upgrading/fixing/cleaning/fixing). Did I mention I had to fix it too? But then, I actually like working on it. ;-)

1996 Mustang Cobra Convertible (Procharged/423 RWHP)
1969 Fastback, 351C, TKO 600, T-lock, Shaker, slats, fold down, yadda yadda, etc.
1972 Mach 1, 351C, FMX
1931 Model A Station Wagon 150B

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...46%20small.JPG

Here are my cars:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...gEmporium.html
69 Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Just be sure you are ready to be late for some appts. (when you get out to the car and it won't start) AND I recommend you get AAA Towing package. lol Other than that, it's a blast to own a vintage Mustang!
GoldGlow72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

If car has been taken care of and perhaps been garage kept most of it's life, then there is a strong possibility that it could be a very reliable car to own. Bringing a person familiar with vintage Mustangs with you to look at car is, by far, the smartest approach to checking it out.

I personally feel that the 1971-73 model Mustangs get you the best bang for the buck, and if you find one without rust issues, will be a great investment too.

One more thing, I do believe that a 1971 Mustang model with a 351 was the quickest out of all the factory equipped Mustangs of that era, including all the 429s, 428s, 390s, etc. Someone correct me if I am mistaken.
Vero Wing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)

You will want to take a mechanic and maybe a body man, look at floors and frame. They will be able to give you a idea as to what it will cost in the next few years. If you are not very mechanical your will need to make friends with someone who is to be a mentor. A 45 year old car will need every rubber part if they have not been change before. Plan on going thru the brakes and fuel system and wiring. If your Love Mustangs nothing else will do. Welcome to your addiction!
mustang125 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 08:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Have you drove it yet? Since you're still in High School, I have to say you are pretty much an inexperienced driver. the '71-'73 body style has a very big blind spot. Almost like driving a van without windows!
What's your location?
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #11 (permalink)

I would advise a 2001-2004 Mustang, 6 cyl 5-speed for a first car. Safer, probably as fast as a stock 71 Mach, and much much more reliable.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6.../sigforvmf.jpg
5R07C, 4spd Toploader, Black Std Interior, Originally Ivy Green, Edelbrock 500cfm-4V on Perf 289 Intake,
Hurst Super Shifter, Baer SS4 Disc Brakes (4-piston, Aluminum, USA Made),
New Front Susp. w/Shelby Drop, New Steering, Drake Export Brace / 1" Sway Bar / Monte Carlo Bar, Mallory Unilite Distributor
lunarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

i think the car wouds be good for you as a w/e cruiser. to use it as a commuter
imo isnt going to be benefical. 10-12 MPG + relaiability, safty issue,s theft issues and the like.

youd be better off getting a late 90's beater for daily trans

1993 GT 11,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof. Untouched except for rubber and battery, Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid and new car smell.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...ior2010011.jpg

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/k...ior2010014.jpg
Blues Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 09:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yep, 89,000 mile is "like new" to an old car. But, you know there is no "1" or "2" in front of that....because the 13th owner said so, right? Better stand back and see that the 89K is true. Everything a little worn? Or worn plane out?
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Like everyone pointed out, be in good knowledgeable company and inspect it. You can update or modernize it to handle better. I bought and ordered my 1971 Mach 1 the way I wanted it without driving one. That blind spot is there, but you can get used to it. The day I picked it up I looked out over the hood and the car seemed to be pointed towards the sky with the NASA hood. I traded in my '66 Mustang convertible for it and it was different getting used to the larger size. Good luck.
To view pictures of my 1968 unrestored original (survivor) coupe, 11,845 miles (from Menlo Park CA): go to --http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/105333[/url] -- click on a picture to enlarge it, then click on the enlarged picture to super-size it.

Check back - New photos being added now and then.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

This may sound like a dumb question. What will be the purpose of the car? If it's climb in and drive it, by the way a Mustang would be neat, I don't recomend it or any other vintage car.

When a 71 Cadillac or Mercedes was brand new their reliability maybe slightly but not a whole lot better than a Mustang or Camero. Even low priced recent cars are very reliable. It's like going to a French restuarant...if you have to ask the price you shouldn't be there (did it once...wow!). By the way cars since 1990 almost all have electronic fuel injection and ignition. You turn the key, it starts and off you go. Tune up may be needed every 90,000 miles!

If you ask about gas mileage chances are you'll be disappointed. 15-20 mpg is normal whereas on recent cars 25-35 mpg is normal.

I've owned my 68 Mustang for 35 years. It has been very reliable in my opinion but I always tinkered with it because that's always been my hobby.

I got my first car when I was in high school. Had a part time job at a service station and most of my spare time was working on that car and/or other's car. Spent some time here and there for college degree, wife, kids and building house but cars have always been my hobby.

You and your parents need to consider if a vintage car is for you at this time in your life. In my opinion bringing a mechanic and/or a vintage car person along is secondary to making the right decision.

To be practical...strange for a car nut... you can get a really great condition used recent car for less than $10,000 (most I've spent is $7000). Recent cars 90,000 is the mileage for their first major service. 200,000 is assumed no problem!

Hey, I love Stangs, kills me to say all this but it's kinda like marriage. It's a lot more than a pretty girl...

Slim

Safety. The 71-73 is probably the safest of the vintage Mustangs. With that in mind they have little of what now is assumed on a car: Air bags, ABS, Traction control etc. Rear wheel drive can be an experience if you're used to front wheel drive.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.