65 mustang fastback suspension - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 65 mustang fastback suspension

Hello all,

I am doing a full resto of my 65 mustang fastback. I have stripped it down completely and i am about to fix a few rust spots in the floor.

My question is that I am planning on putting a 363 ci motor in this thing but will mostly be doing street driving. I want it to handle well but i want to make sure i don't put too much or too little. I would like it to handle corners well but still maintain a good ride quality. I was thinking of this kit at Mustang Depot: Ultra Suspension Rebuild Kit - 1965-73 Mustangs from Mustang Depot with the stage 3 setup with the maier race 165 rear leaf springs.

I am definitely changing out the stock 8" for a 9" rear housing to handle the close to 500 horsepower i will be putting in it with the 363.

I would also like anyone's comments or experiences with the 363 as well since i have not bought the materials to build one yet but i am wanting about 500 horsepower. Thank you guys.
meanstreak65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

The kit you posted a link to has 700# big block front coils. I assume your 363 is a small block based stroker motor. Those springs are way too much for a small block car. I used the same kit for my 67 with a 347 stroker. My front coils are 620# and are way too stiff. The rear sway bar is over kill. I would do the shelby drop, with your stock coils. A 1 inch front sway bar, no rear sway bar and GR2 KYB shocks. Roller spring perches and roller idler arm are nice to haves also. My car rides like a truck. I have driven it without the seatbelts and had my head hit the ceiling on bumps.
67t5ponycoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe View Post
The kit you posted a link to has 700# big block front coils. I assume your 363 is a small block based stroker motor. Those springs are way too much for a small block car. I used the same kit for my 67 with a 347 stroker. My front coils are 620# and are way too stiff. The rear sway bar is over kill. I would do the shelby drop, with your stock coils. A 1 inch front sway bar, no rear sway bar and GR2 KYB shocks. Roller spring perches and roller idler arm are nice to haves also. My car rides like a truck. I have driven it without the seatbelts and had my head hit the ceiling on bumps.
Yes the motor will be based off a DART 302 block. Still trying to look at a 347 but will probably go with a 363. I am looking at doing the progressive spring option with the GR2 KYB shocks. I was wondering about the ride if the Race 165 was going to be too stiff but i am wanting to have a little fun from time to time. Do you feel or see any lateral movements of the rear end with out the sway bar? I am definitely lowering the upper control arm, plus the tcp has a mounting block that does it without having to drill more holes.
meanstreak65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.