What is my car worth? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What is my car worth?

I just bought a 65 with the orginal 200 inline 6 engine, keys, and even the owner's manual. I am going to restore it completly from inside out. I have the orginal hubcaps, bumpers, lights, etc. Can someone give me a rough estimate of what it should be worth once I restore it? It will look just like it came off the showroom floor. This is my 1st restoration project and I'm just curious as to what a restored 65 all orginal including the manual and keys would be if I sold it when finished.
snowbabie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome aboard. Hate to greet you this way. About half what you put into restoring it.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Agreed, from one inline guy to another
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

shoot, dont think its just the inlines that come out like that. the v8's do to.
have a 4bt cummins under the hood (no longer with me and boy do I miss that truck)
The Scooter-'08 GSXR 600 white on white, olson
pipe
Spot- 2004 Land Rover Disco II, snorkel, roof rack, and tube bumpers are in the planning stages now.

"He was a good christian boy untill he got tangled up with loose women, hard liquer and fast cars"
-My parts guy
rodeo5530 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

+1

You can always buy an already restored car for less than you'll put into restoring one. In my case, I enjoyed bringing a "dead" Mustang back to life, and figure I'm about $3k upside down at this point (which is actually probably pretty good).

Figure out what stage you want to get to, then look around at the prices for a similar car- that's what the car should be worth at the end. Then, as you get into the restoration, just keep track of how far you're willing to get upside down.

Although I tried to stay pretty close to original on mine, I didn't get too anal about it- because even a concours-perfect 6cyl just isn't going to grab big bucks.

Best of luck with the restoration- pics, pics, pics!
Pete

http://just-a-six.tumblr.com
'65 Coupe, 200ci, T5spd, Silver Smoke Gray, Std Red Interior, DUI ign, Chockostang disc conversion, 3.55 8" rear, CI dual header/exhaust
'03 Convertible, V6, auto, Silver Metallic, Black Top
'06 Coupe, V6 Pony Package, Windveil Blue, Parchment Interior
'14 GT Coupe Sterling Gray, 5.0, 6M, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Brick Red interior, FRPP
Varilux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for your honesty. I was just wondering, but I know that the satisfaction of doing this project with my son, the time and memories we will share and eventually giving it to him and being able to see and drive what I accomplished will be worth far more than I could ever sell it for.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

you sir have the correct state of mind for restoring a mustang or ANY old vehicle for that matter.
have a 4bt cummins under the hood (no longer with me and boy do I miss that truck)
The Scooter-'08 GSXR 600 white on white, olson
pipe
Spot- 2004 Land Rover Disco II, snorkel, roof rack, and tube bumpers are in the planning stages now.

"He was a good christian boy untill he got tangled up with loose women, hard liquer and fast cars"
-My parts guy
rodeo5530 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I know that the satisfaction of doing this project with my son, the time and memories we will share and eventually giving it to him and being able to see and drive what I accomplished will be worth far more than I could ever sell it for.

EXACTLY! And- you and the son can point to it and say "WE did that... remember when we installed the dash pad and somehow forgot to take the ignition sleeve off the dash first and had to take it all back apart?"

(Whoops- flashing back to our restoration ).

Be sure to take pics like this one!

(Oh, and slap a T-5 in that puppy! Best thing you can do for comfortable cruising on the highway.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kidandme.jpg (67.9 KB, 34 views)

http://just-a-six.tumblr.com
'65 Coupe, 200ci, T5spd, Silver Smoke Gray, Std Red Interior, DUI ign, Chockostang disc conversion, 3.55 8" rear, CI dual header/exhaust
'03 Convertible, V6, auto, Silver Metallic, Black Top
'06 Coupe, V6 Pony Package, Windveil Blue, Parchment Interior
'14 GT Coupe Sterling Gray, 5.0, 6M, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Brick Red interior, FRPP
Varilux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum also! Great place. I've been here since Nov. last year. I don't ever want to leave. What color is your car? What is the interior? Any options? While it is a pain to post a photo (I'm still tinking it has got to be easier than I'm makeing) it's always fun to see pictures of early mustangs, regardless of condition! What part of the country are you in Snowbabie?

Last edited by Idaho Stanger; 03-28-2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Spelling
Idaho Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 05:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

A nice restored i-6 coupe is probably worth $10-12k.
thetvirus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Mike the stang is primered right now,m the people I bought it from was starting to restore it themselves, but due to circumstances were not able The original color is to me looks blue and interior is black. I will post pictures in the near future. I know it will be a long process but I can already see the rewards visually. I am in Alabama and have ALWAYS loved the older body styles. They were once made by the hands of hard working Americans and when rebuilt it will still be made by a hard working American. I grew up dating guys who did nothing but rebuild engines on the weekends, so this will also be a memory that I will revisit.

Last edited by snowbabie; 03-29-2012 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.