Just rebuilt front drums, how do they look? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Just rebuilt front drums, how do they look?

Just rebuilt my front drums (new springs/shoes/adjusting kit/wheel cylinders/brake hoses). Does everything look right? I seem to be missing the "shoe retracting assist spring" that goes under wheel cylinders. It shows it in the shop manual that there should be a long double hooked spring that attaches to the front and rear shoes that goes underneath the wheel cylinder. The new spring kit didnt come with them, and they weren't on my car before the rebuild. Any idea?

How do they look? Did I mess up anything? (This is the drivers side wheel)

Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Looks good, I remember that spring your talking about but don't know for sure if they were used on all models. I like to squeeze the open ends of the springs on top closed just a little more but that's just me.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooponies View Post
Looks good, I remember that spring your talking about but don't know for sure if they were used on all models. I like to squeeze the open ends of the springs on top closed just a little more but that's just me.
Good idea I'll squeeze em closed a bit more. Do I have the shoes on the right sides?

Last edited by VANILLA_GORILLA; 04-15-2012 at 06:26 PM.
VANILLA_GORILLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

The part you may be missing is in this pic of my rear brakes. The reason I say "may" is that it's been many years since I messed with front drums.

1966 Mustang 2+2
silverblueBP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

All that spring does is to keep that part from rattling. As far as the shoes being on corectly I can't tell you either way one nore for the future anytime doing brakes mainly drums take apart one side at a time and use the other side as referance its a really good rule to follow. keeps from having to second guess things. Other than that it looks good in my book
Old 04-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzilla View Post
All that spring does is to keep that part from rattling. As far as the shoes being on corectly I can't tell you either way one nore for the future anytime doing brakes mainly drums take apart one side at a time and use the other side as referance its a really good rule to follow. keeps from having to second guess things. Other than that it looks good in my book
That's what we did, one side at a time, looking at the other side for reference. Oh, and a lot of pictures were taken too, which helped. That spring I think does more than prevents rattling. I'm sure it helps retract the shoes, but I have no idea why it was missing.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yes you have the shoes on correctly. The left shoe is on the left foot and the right shoe is on the right foot. Just my attempt at a little humor. The shorter shoe goes to the front and the longer shoe to the rear. I'm looking at your pics and it looks like you have the adjusting cable on backwards to me. I not sure it makes alot of difference but I like the flat side of the eyelet against the shoe so it's not at any angle.

Last edited by tooponies; 04-15-2012 at 06:55 PM.
tooponies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblueBP View Post
The part you may be missing is in this pic of my rear brakes. The reason I say "may" is that it's been many years since I messed with front drums.

That's the parking brake equalizer bar which pushes the front shoe out when the parking brake lever moves.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooponies View Post
I'm looking at your pics and it looks like you have the adjusting cable on backwards to me. I not sure it makes alot of difference but I like the flat side of the eyelet against the shoe so it's not at any angle.
Good eye. I don't think it really Matters much but I also always put flat side towards backing plate
Old 04-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzilla View Post
Good eye. I don't think it really Matters much but I also always put flat side towards backing plate
So should I flip it around or does it not matter? Cause I really don't want to have to remove the springs and put them back on. Also, a bit of googling about the "shoe retracting assist spring" yields a lot of people saying its not Needed.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

I know the spring you mean. The assist spring. These cars were buit with them, but at some point Ford decided they were not needed, and stopped servicing them. No one makes this spring.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

This comment will turn a few heads.

You did not mention new drums.

So, Did you size the drums to be sure they were not too large?

If you have used drums, have you had the shoes arched to the size of the drums? The shoes should be resized to the curvature of the drums for 100% shoe contact.

In the days when the cars were used everyday some shops would size the shoes to the drum. They used a tool that was essentially sander with a shoe clamp and a precision adjustment on a pivot. Many shops just put the shoes on knowing the cars were driven every day and the shoes would wear in after a few weeks of daily driving.

Most cars now are not driven enough and that few weeks of wear could equate to years of driving for some cars that are restored. So you could go around with less than 100% brakes for years.

Of course, try and find a place that has the tooling to arc a shoe these days.

If there is a gross difference you could put sand paper in the drum and work the shoes some to get them closer. The Model A guys do this to help get their shoes close in size when they do not have the better tooling.
kevlarguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

Damn ! Kevlarguy you must be older than me. I forgot all about the arcing of the shoes to fit the drums.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #14 (permalink)

Default General brake question

I believe the arcing of the shoes is also called "bedding in" the brakes by going out and making several hard stops from high speed on a deserted road.
Also have a question, my chrysler buddy says the short shoe is the secondary, but the diagram and pics show the long shoe is the secondary. Any body have a definitive answer?
summitcounty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANILLA_GORILLA View Post
That's what we did, one side at a time, looking at the other side for reference. .

just some freindly advise: forget using the other side as a reference. use the shop manual or the page 22GT sent you.

ive seen it too many times where novice brake DIY (including yours truly back in the day when i did my first brake job) copied the other side only to copy someone elses mistake. I drove around for years with my shoes and springs reversed only b/c i used the other side as a reference.

not that it really mattered b/c i never noticed it but none the less it wasent correct.

1993 GT 11,000 miles, Built 2-12-93 Auto, 3:27 Axle, cloth, sunroof. Untouched except for rubber and battery, Purchased new 8-3-93. still has the factory windshield fluid and new car smell.
Blues Power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.