Oil + additive or oil with additive in it??????? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Oil + additive or oil with additive in it???????

I just got my engine rebuild done and it requires ZDDP in the oil. My question is, do I use regular oil and put the ZDDP additive in it or should I go with oils that have it in the oil already. Such as Valvoline VR1 or royal purple Is one way better than the other, and is one more expensive than th other ?
73 Mach 1 H code (sold)
91 5.0 LX Conv. (sold)
78 (yes a 78) mustang (sold)
"In the words of Ricky Bobby" If you ain't first, your last Ha, Ha Ha
t.klapperich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I tend to use the cheaper, regular oil and the additive, it really comes down to overall costs and whats cheaper.
Fstbk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

i use joe gibbs racing oil they pretty good and it pretty dependendable oil. but sometimes it pretty hard to get ahold of but they have almost oil for any high preformance engine.
steven65stang2893speed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.klapperich View Post
I just got my engine rebuild done and it requires ZDDP in the oil. My question is, do I use regular oil and put the ZDDP additive in it or should I go with oils that have it in the oil already. Such as Valvoline VR1 or royal purple Is one way better than the other, and is one more expensive than th other ?
For engine break in I would use a break in specific oil such as Joe Gibbs or Comp then switch to VR1.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

i run the valvoline race oil. its not much m,ore than regular oil and its already got the zinc in it. it keeps me from forgetting to buy the additive when i change the oil. but +1 to what tommyk said, for a fresh engine use break in oil.
have a 4bt cummins under the hood (no longer with me and boy do I miss that truck)
The Scooter-'08 GSXR 600 white on white, olson
pipe
Spot- 2004 Land Rover Disco II, snorkel, roof rack, and tube bumpers are in the planning stages now.

"He was a good christian boy untill he got tangled up with loose women, hard liquer and fast cars"
-My parts guy
rodeo5530 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

I use Amsoil 10W-40, which has the necessary zinc in it but am planning to switch to Amsoil's new "Street Rod" oil, made especially for flat tappet engines. I will go to the 10W-30. Since you can change their synthetic less often, timewise, I don't think there is any question that synthetic costs very little extra and protects better
janthut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyK View Post
For engine break in I would use a break in specific oil such as Joe Gibbs or Comp then switch to VR1.
I'm going to agree here. The VR1 is under $5 quart, case of 12 runs me $52 at my local mom and pop parts store, ZDDP runs around $8 a bottle for one oil change.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Just about every cam mfg recommends adding ZDDP (and sells) to the oil. I personally spoke to Ron Iskenderian (Isky Racing Cams) when this 1st came about a few years ago, he recommended adding 1 bottle of ZDDP ((6 oz IIRR) to each oil change and with the mod engines (Ford 4.6, etc.), about 1/3 of a bottle with each oil change.
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't race my 68 vert. Never in 50 years thought racing oil was best for plain driving...wierd I guess!

I use Valvoline 10W-30 in my original never rebuilt 68 289 C code. Since they reduced the ZDDP I add cam shield each change.

Slim
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
I don't race my 68 vert. Never in 50 years thought racing oil was best for plain driving...wierd I guess!

I use Valvoline 10W-30 in my original never rebuilt 68 289 C code. Since they reduced the ZDDP I add cam shield each change.

Slim
Not weird. In fact you have a good point. Racing oil doesn't clean as well, and probably not the best choice for a daily driver. I use it for two reasons. One, the zinc is there, don't have to think about it. Two, both vehicles get very few miles and I change every six months regardless of mileage. No where near even 3,000 miles a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.