rally pac with a pertronix what gives? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-01-2012, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default rally pac with a pertronix what gives?

Just installed a scott drake rally pac and confirmed that it worked great. Then I did a tune up on the car and changed out the points for a pertronix and the rally pac quit working. I had read up on whether or not it they would work together and everything I read said they would work. I could throw the points back in and see if the rally pac starts working. Anybody got any ideas?
67t5ponycoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Anyone used and rally pac and a pertronix together?
Old 05-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

If it's the scott drake rally pack it should work fine with electronics- mine worked with my pertronix and after I converted to duraspark II it still works fine. It connects up a little different than the original rally pacs. Sorry I don't remember all the details but I think one wire runs to the coil (like most tacs). John
Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Theres another post here about the scott drake rally pac that says everything connects the same as original except you have to run a wire to the distributor side (-) of the coil- for the tac. This is whst I remember. John
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the info John. I will try some stuff when I get it back from the alignment shop.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Did you bypass the resistor wire? The stock points positive wire is something like 7v (correct me if im wrong on volts guys) its done so you dont burn through points. When you switch to the pertronix setup i believe your supposed to bypass that and run the full 12v to it theres lots of info about it on here that could be your issue.
Old 05-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have always run it through the resistor wire in the past but I never put a rally pac on one either. That could be the problem. When I get it back I will try to jumper a full 12v to the pertronix and see if it makes a difference.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm going to have to start my own thread. I have a 66 with a stock rally pack and someone disconnected it when they installed the petronix. Not sure what to do now!
president89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Guess there's a bit of a prob with the SDrake rally pac and Pertronix. With an original Pac, merely connected it to a ready source in the 66 harness with Pertronix-no trouble.
yelostang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

So I put 12v on the pertronix and tried it. The car ran but no tach on the rally pac. Put points back in it and ran the car, no tach on the rally pac. Check for voltage input on the rally pac and all was good. Check continuity on the wire to the coil and all was good. I'm thinking I fried the tach. So I still don't know if you can run a pertronix and a rally pac.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

I don't know if you fried your tac or not but you certainly can run a scott drake rally pac with a pertronix, I have. cj pony parts has detailed instructions for hooking up a scott drake rally pac. You have to run a seperate wire to the (-) side of the coil for the tac to work. And yes I have 12v running to the coil (removed resistor wire). John
Old 12-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #12 (permalink)

I know this is an old post but I am curious as to whether the tach was fried or how the matter was resolved. I just had the same issue and nothing helped. No way should the tach have fried with my unmodified system.
lathamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 12:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

FYI - I just fixed mine. The wires in the tach were reversed. That CJPony installation tutorial was the key to finding it.
lathamjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2013, 10:38 AM   #14 (permalink)

Converted my 66 convertible a few years ago. With the original Rally Pac and using the factory resistor wire for the Pertronix, there's never been the slightest sign of trouble.

Adam, you are correct on the voltage. It drops to approximately half the battery supply voltage that can vary with load and charge rate. So about 6-7v.
1967 Shelby GT350 #3014 Concours Gold MCA and SAAC
1965 K code Fastback owned since 1977- MCA Concours Gold
1966 6-cyl. Sprint Convertible owned since 1978
1966 C-code auto Convertible restored 2008. Exercised regularly in season!
All owner-restored in my garage, never trailered.
MCA #68134

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...DSC03292-1.jpg
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...DSC03005-1.jpg
ajd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.