67 fastback....347 or 427 rousch - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 67 fastback....347 or 427 rousch

I have just entered the mustang world by purchasing a 1967 fastback mustang. I've been doing all the reading I can about engine mods and would like to know if anybody has any advice on going with either a 347 or 427?

I apologize as I am sure this topic has been covered numerous times but I am a newbie and am just looking for the best advice I can get.

Thanks!
rock67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well your intentions of the car must be known, and how much your willing to change to meet the power of your planned power plant. With those considerations known, we can help you better decide.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock67 View Post
I have just entered the mustang world by purchasing a 1967 fastback mustang. I've been doing all the reading I can about engine mods and would like to know if anybody has any advice on going with either a 347 or 427?

I apologize as I am sure this topic has been covered numerous times but I am a newbie and am just looking for the best advice I can get.

Thanks!
Well depends on if you want to go fast get the 347 if you want to go REAL fast get the 427. I would go with a 351w based stroker 408-454 depending on your needs and how deep your pockets are. Will fit nicely in your 67 engine bay.
cmefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would like to make around 550hp. I recently talked to the owners at Gateway Mustang (great guys in Bourban, MO) and they helped me with some great suspension ideas. I will most likely go with their brake kits and a 3-link read-end. Just want to know if going form a 347 to a stroked 351 (to 427) is worth it. Not quite sure of the work needed to fit the stroked 351 into the 67 is worth the extra 100hp.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I would like to make around 550hp. I recently talked to the owners at Gateway Mustang (great guys in Bourban, MO) and they helped me with some great suspension ideas. I will most likely go with their brake kits and a 3-link read-end. Just want to know if going form a 347 to a stroked 351 (to 427) is worth it. Not quite sure of the work needed to fit the stroked 351 into the 67 is worth the extra 100hp.

Thanks for all the help!
in terms of net hp/tq (at the flywheel) nothinh makes power better than a BBF, but in terms of performance, nothing can beat a SB (small block) with few exceptions (racing conditions). BB's have considerable more weight, & even with suspension mods this has the final say in HP to weight ratio and handling (both stopping & cornering or emergency manuvering). SBF's for years (since the 60's) have been able to produce as much reliable power in comparison to BB going back to the 60's (yes, the ones in the 60"s were pricey bastards & for the common guy the BB was cheaper to build) . But today, take a look for example at the new Ford 5.0...550 hp & tq and if you want an additional 75-100 hp/tq, just buy a bolt on manifold from Ford! Looking back a couple of decades, none of this is new.....while I am not a fan of pointing to magazine built engines, about 20+ years ago Hot Rod Mag did a shootout amoungst a ford/mopar/GM engine builder for who could build the engine with the most hp.....the Ford guys won 9just by a small margin) but they did it with a de-stroked 302 (down to 290 cid)...IIRR the HP/TQ was in the 500 range and although the power band was pointed to the top end (racing type), it clearly demonstrated it could be done.

look carefully at your options (including the 347 vs 360 vs 5.0)
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 09:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:

Thanks for all the help!
I own 2 347's and a 408W and it is a night and day difference when you stroke the 351W. If you were staying with a stock stroke 351W then I would lean towards the 347 but that is another topic. The 351W stroker will bolt right in place of your 289/302 very easy conversion. The 408W will get you the 500-550HP you are looking for in a more streetable fashion then trying to get that out of a 347.

Last edited by cmefly; 06-24-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Jeff and CMEFLY...this is great info for me. Do you guys know how much weight differential there is between a stroked 347 and stroked 351 (to 408 or 427)? I really want to do an easy conversion by pulling my current 289.

You guys have been really helpful!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

"There's no replacement for displacement."

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
krd

First. There ain't no thing as an easy conversion despite what we think. Each conversion has its own problems and benefits. Second. There is very little weight difference in your two engines. The extra weight of the higher deck height would be roughly 50lbs I would think. They are both small blocks as such, just that one is a "big" SBF. The stroked 351's are a magic combination. Big power with a lot less weight than a real world BBF. If you develop the rest of the car to match the performance of the 427 go for that option. You don't have to use all the extra power all the time but it is nice having it there. Brakes, suspension, chassis, cooling, tires are all going to need serious attention for the power levels you will get. Make a nice driver tho won't it. :-)))

"I'm not addicted to Mustangs, I just can't give them up"
krd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
I won a special award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
"There's no replacement for displacement."
Ditto
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2012, 10:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the great info KRD....

I've been told that Roush is the way to go. Do you know if their 427R is a stroked 351? If so, it would seem like this would be a good fit for 67 fastback.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
krd

It is a stroked 351 configuration but with a new block, crank etc. Quality parts only. Not cheap but it is worth it in the long run. Best of both worlds big cubes/power in a small block sized unit. Don't be put off too much by my comments about the ease of this type of rebuild. It is a lot of work to do it properly but you will get great enjoyment out of it, especially if you do it all yourself.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

FORDSTROKERS.com would be my first choice. Talk to woody and all will be good. And yes a 351W is a very easy conversion in a 67 mustang.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:03 PM   #14 (permalink)
krd

It is an easy conversion if all you are doing is a straight engine swap. However if you do all of the extras that are needed to do the job properly, that is where the extra work/problems come from.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krd View Post
It is an easy conversion if all you are doing is a straight engine swap. However if you do all of the extras that are needed to do the job properly, that is where the extra work/problems come from.
Well I guess in all these years I have done it wrong. What is involved in doing it right? In a 65/66 it takes a little more planning with header and intake choice.

Last edited by cmefly; 06-24-2012 at 11:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.