Front Frame Rail Replacment, Need Dimensions - Vintage Mustang Forums

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Front Frame Rail Replacment, Need Dimensions

Afternoon guys,

I have a 68 that I am replacing the front frame rails on. I have already removed the passenger side rail and am ready to replace it. I have my measurements from prior but I want to double check everything. I have the 68 shop manual but is very limited dimensions. I have searceh all over to find a Liskey diagram for a 68 but have had no luck. I have read that the 65 diagram will work since all major dimensions stayed the same form 65 to 69. Can some one send me a 68 diagram or post a picture, or can someone confirm that the 65 dimensions will work.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 02:11 PM

I have 68 and 70 shop manuals. Underbody 68 vs 70 seem same except the appears to be an error on one point at rear that is dimensioned. The 52.50 dimension on the rear frame rail. Goes to an additional end hole that's not shown on the 70. One of these diagrams or the dimension has to be wrong. The width and diagonal are same, that means this other
can't be different!

Since 67 and 68 are same and 69, 70 are same body this pretty well covers 67-69 underside dimensions being same. The was a big change 66 to 67 to allow use of the big block engines. Hard for me to believe all major dimensions are same...what is major?

Slim

My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.

'68 vert. driver. Owned since Apr '78. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

What I am going off of is the 64-65 frame dimensions. It seemd to have double the amount of detail. What is throwing me off is the inner fender welds to the fire wall. I purchased the whole frame assembly from dyancorn. When I set it in place the engine crossmember, export brace and shock tower braces as well as the radiator support all line up. In my book that is pretty accutate. What is throwing me off is where the inner apron welds to the fire wall. I drilled out the old welds and can see their locations, however the new innerapron lines up 3/4 of an inch further out towards the exterior. Might be a design thing but I want to double check all dimmensions. the 68 shop manual only gives you 26.46 inner dimmension between the sway bar mounts. What I am looking for is inside to inside of frame rails a cross dimmesion of frame rails so I can sqaure them and any other known dimesions. The more I can get the closer to perfect it will be. Thanks for your time!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 03:55 PM

You're seeing what Ford did so the 67 and up could use the big block engines...it's wider can say how much. Just saying in this very important dimension they aren't the same!

Mustang resto shops must have these dimensions availible! Also collision manuals that body/frame shops use must have dimensions they work to.

Slim
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2012, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Slim. That's why I am asking. Regardless the new frame rails and aprons should be close to the old. You know the old saying measure once cut twice, or is that the other way around. Bottom line time and money always drives a project I just don't want to waste both of them. Thanks guys this site seems to have answers for everything.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 AM

22GT should have good info on this topic. Not too long ago, he had pics of a 68 GT500 Shelby cvt. that had been done at Glazier/Nolan and believe it had new frames. A co. like Glazier/Nolan has restored many 67/8 Mustangs. Be interesting to read what they say,
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 03:05 AM

Va. Mustang catalog shows the front frame extension rails complete 65-70. They are the same BUT have DIFFERENT aprons, shock towers, radiator core support and front cross member and front tubular cross member.
Owing to different cross members and aprons, you will need diagonal measurements from a 67/8. Did you purchase a complete frame rail with 65/6 aprons and shock towers? I hope not.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 09:09 AM

Rusty Gillis
Former SS/FA and SS/GA NHRA Record Holder

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 09:44 AM

I have measurements that Yelostang gave me years ago from an unmolested 68 vert. These are engine bay measurements and I used them when I replaced the front aprons and Rad support. Normally these would be on my site, but since changing providers....I haven't gotten the site back up. I'll see if I can find them when I get home this afternoon (at the Jersey Shore right now). If I can find them I'll post them or email them to you.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help! In response to the last few posts. I purchased dynacorn 68 complete frame rails and shock towers.

Rusty428CJ I have that same 70 mustang frame dimension list. The 19 1/8 for lower control arm boly holes matches perfectly. I also match my prior dimensions, before dismanteling, of the radiator support as well as export brace and motecarlo bar. the 30" dimension between frame rail holes lines up. So that is 5 dimensions that match. The 33 3/4 doesn't. not sure were exactly that is taken from. I need run my daughter to lacrosse camp this morning but when I get back I will post a pic of the apron and fire wall issue. It ends up being wider than what I cut out. I could understand if it was narrower then maybe it could have been an earlier year frame rail replacement. I am 99% sure that they are original with the amount of rust they had. Again guys thanks for working through this with me.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Gentlemen,

Here are a few photos of what I have. As it shows it is the passenger side frame rail with shock towers and aprons pre welded. It lines uo to within a hair everywhere except where the inner apron welds to the fire wall. Just not sure if anyone else has run into this. Not sure if this dynacorn "improved geometry" or what. Since this is my first build of this magnitude I would prefer to be very lets say detailed (anal) about he front measurements. I don't want the front wheels crab walking down the road.

Export Brace, engine cross member and radiator support all line up.jpg

Inner apron old spot welds.jpg
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Rusty428CJ.

It just dawned on me who you are! Spent the last hour riding to take my daughter to lacrosse camp reading the article on your work and your shop in Modified Mustangs and Fords.

Seams you guys are doing this exact same thing to the 66 fastback "Colt of Personality". Read this last week and liked the idea of adding the 2x2 tube steel inside the front frame rails and extending it into the floor supports. I had the local steel shop cut me some 14 gauge 2x2 to do the same thing. I appreciate your time and expert opinion on this. Any additional advice would be welcome!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68CVert View Post
I have measurements that Yelostang gave me years ago from an unmolested 68 vert. These are engine bay measurements and I used them when I replaced the front aprons and Rad support. Normally these would be on my site, but since changing providers....I haven't gotten the site back up. I'll see if I can find them when I get home this afternoon (at the Jersey Shore right now). If I can find them I'll post them or email them to you.

From the start the issue has been what is different on 65/66 frame dimensions compare to 67-70!

Got lotsa 67-70 dimensions.

Looks like Yellowstang has pointed out the differences.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:10 PM

What is the measurement at the top of the rear fender apron to fender apron where the hood hinges bolt. It should be 40". I have measured a couple that were 40 1/4".

Rusty Gillis
Former SS/FA and SS/GA NHRA Record Holder

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

It is exactly 40". Can you confirming the bottom of the frame rail inside to inside at the fire wall to make sure it is not canted out. I have 27 and 3/4 at the steering box bolt holes and again at where the frame rails enter the floor supports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page