1967 Dynacorn Fastback - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 1967 Dynacorn Fastback

In this build I will show the good and bad features of building a Dynacorn body.

My customer has wanted a Fastback Mustang for a long time but could not find a good body that did not require a lot of rust repair so he decided to buy a 1967 Dynacorn body. He started calling around and could not find a body back in January. He called Dynacorn and they told him they had no idea when they would get one in. He was getting discouraged and had to go back to work where he works 10 weeks and than is off 10 weeks. When he got back in town he started checking around and still nobody had one. He found a project that was never started that came with a lot of extra parts so he bought it.

Some of the good points are the shock tower braces, extra welding in the engine compartment and a lot more spot welds and the export brace

Another good feature is the one piece seat riser.

I have never seen an after market valance fit this good but it is bolted together instead of screws.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Lakeland1.jpg
rusty428cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hey, I really like that one-piece seat stand!

Thanks for sharing this, Rusty. I look forward to following the build. Now, to get to the elephant in the room, how do you plan on registering the car? Must you register it as a kit car? Or, in your state, can you use the VIN from a production Mustang?

That's interesting that your customer could not find a Dynacorn body. I assumed they were cranking them out right and left. But perhaps they had a short production run then stopped. (??)
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
Hey, I really like that one-piece seat stand!

Thanks for sharing this, Rusty. I look forward to following the build. Now, to get to the elephant in the room, how do you plan on registering the car? Must you register it as a kit car? Or, in your state, can you use the VIN from a production Mustang?

That's interesting that your customer could not find a Dynacorn body. I assumed they were cranking them out right and left. But perhaps they had a short production run then stopped. (??)
It will not have a Vin from a Mustang. The only used Mustang parts he has are front seats and quarter louvers.

There were no 1967 or 1968 bodies available. He also thought about a 1965 Fastback but again they had no idea when they would be available.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

You always do quality work so I'm anxious to see how you handle some of the nuances that a Dynacorn body presents. I'm sure it won't be anything less than spectacular once you're done with it.

1966 Coupe

302 w/ 289 Heads | T5 from '88 5.0 | Patriot mid-length Headers | 2.5" aluminized x-pipe over rear axles | dual 2.5" Dynomax Ultra Flo mufflers | 3.55 rear gears | 24" Aluminum Radiator | '70 gas tank (22 gallon)| 130 Amp 3G alternator | 1" lowering springs | Shelby/Arning Drop | 1" front sway bar | Export Brace | Monte Carlo bar | TMI Pony Sport Seats w/ headrests | 3 3/8" tach | 2" triple gauges (water, volt, oil) |
LeLus66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

We have not had the time to work on this yet but have an issue with the door gaps. This is what we found so far:

The hood bumper brackets are not straight

Dynacorn does not spot weld the quarters they are plug welded and than they ground the welds to much.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi,
That's a weird occurrence with the hood bumper brackets?
I like many others, thought you you made a call, laid down your dough, placed and order and took possession soon there after. Do they build on-order? Anyone?
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, MD
kenash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Snipe656 Send a message via MSN to Snipe656 Send a message via Yahoo to Snipe656

I always figured they made bodies in batches. Would imagine there is a bit of tooling involved to make them and they'd not want to re-setup things on a per order basis. I'd actually love to build a car up from one but roughly ran the numbers years ago and seemed the costs to do so far exceeded starting with something more complete and reworking that into what I'd want.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to 2manyhobbies

Subscribed!
Modified Mustang & Ford article: ?/2014
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...thing-done.jpg
2 years of hard labor later
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...-place-day.jpg
2manyhobbies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

This could be the thread of the century. Your going to miss all the rust you usually deal with

Cheers Peter
1965 Fastback Restomod, GT350 replica, 5.0, SSBC 4WDB, Functional side brake cooling scoops, Fuel cell, WC 5 spd, 9 inch, 355s, Vintage air, Borgenson PS, Tri Ys, side exit exhaust. GT350 hood. GT 350 Dash Pod
1990 5.0 SSP Notchback fox mustang. MO police car with full "as in service" police equipment. F&R radar, siren, PA, Roof lights, Spotlight, rear antennas, scanner and police radio.
Previous Ponies:
1967 Mustang GT Fastback, sold
2007 GT500 sold
Pmustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty428cj View Post

The hood bumper brackets are not straight

I recently replaced my core support with a dynacore one and my hood bumper brackets are not straight either. I need to drill them out and re-weld them on straight. Seriously, how hard is it to make this stuff correct? W T F...

1967 Mustang GTA 390
2012 Mustang GT/CS 5.0

Freshly media blasted and epoxied! Metal work begins soon!
http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps298d1fad.jpg
TTA89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

The door and trunk bolts are metric

We thought at first they had metric threads but they are the same as all Mustangs so I changed them. Notice there is no ecoat under the fender brace. We will be sanding the complete body and spraying 2 coats of SPI epoxy.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

So they are metric or not? I confused!
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 06:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

I would be interested after you finish to get your opinion to see if it was worth it to start with the rust free body or buy a good used one and repair the typical rust.

I know each original body is different, but I pretty much assumed that if the Dynacorn body was pretty much ready to go (with only minor stuff) it would be a much better way to proceed.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rusty, I know this may be a bit out there, but after seeing the work that goes on in your shop and the speed with which it gets done, along with your attention to detail, have you considered contacting Dynacorn about possibly assembling the bodies in your shop?

If there are no bodies to be had it can mean two things, either they are selling faster than anticipated, and assembly can't keep up; or they are not, and the whole body program is going down the drain.

The biggest expenditure for a venture like this would be the body buck or jig, and subassembly jigs. Somehow, I think you'd do a better job of that than is presently being done.

Just a though.
PrecisionTrans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rusty,
For all of the hype that precluded these bodies, you'd a thunk, these issues would be non-existent. The worst of which, is those bumper brackets. Be nice to keep track of the "mysteries" as they unfold in your restoration.
Has anyone tried to contact them on this, do you know? That metric thing is crazy, as well as, the omitted e-coat.
Thanks for your comments!
333 Cu.in. T5z, 3:55, Dual 40 mm DCOE Webers
Performer RPM, CI cam, TFS/TWs, Tri-Ys, Discs w/Shelby Drums
Severna Park, MD

Last edited by kenash; 07-09-2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: typo repair
kenash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.