Trunk gasket crap - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mustangs View Post
EZ

How do you find Carpenters parts. I went on 5 of his authorized dealers sites and either couldn't find him listed as a supplier (NPD, Summit) or the dealers didn't have a listing of suppliers and a site search for Carpenter brought back a 0. I'm not about to do that for the multitude of dealers he has listed on his site. He has no info on his site about his products part numbers or description so you can't search for that.

Am I missing something?

Ron
You can get them from Glazier/Nolan. G/N doesn't repack them, so the Carpenter label is still on the package.

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #32 (permalink)

This is how it comes from NPD:
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps83b093b8.jpg
Greg'66 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
I never said it "didn't fit right", I simply stated that the Carpenter US-made was softer and had a slightly (emphasis on slightly) more petit profile. So, yes, the US-made Carpenter would be a preferable product to use at a higher price. That last sentence applies to most EVERY "cheaper/pricier" choice we have in our catalog, yet a good amount of folks still want to save the money... Don't blame us for that...

I get to slap my forehead every day as I watch people "settle" for mediocrity in exchange for saving a buck. I hope it's not the new normal.

Obviously the OP had issues getting his w/s to fit/seal right, and apparantly it was the Carpenter import (prior to this, there had been no issues reported on the Carpenter import to my knowledge, only the Drake w/s had been in-question). That, by itself, does not equate to us knowingly selling a product that can't work. We've been selling the imported Carpenter w/s for many years, thousands upon thousands of them have gone out the door, so if every install resulted like the OP's experience, we'd have a torch wielding mob out in the parking lot (i.e. we'd have a stack of complaints and exchanges... Which we do not have...). We do remove products from our product-line if we determine they're not functional within reason/value, but our (Carpenter) imported trunk w/s has no record of complaints to-date... Prior to this thread, and when I made my comments, all of the discussion had been focused on a different brand import.

I'll be keeping my ear to the ground, and if anyone else here has purchased our 43720-2 w/s and had similar issues, PM me.

But we have to offer the choices... And along with that, we'll happily take back any cheapo item you buy from us (in fact it's too cheap to bother returning, we'd just run the exchange and tell you to toss the cheap w/s), and exchange it for the better version. You learn a valuable lesson in the exercise, and it only further amplifies the benefits we (NPD) afford you by offering the premium stuff, and the cheap stuff alongside, so that you can RECOGNIZE that it's not just "all the same", and choose accordingly. Without the choice in front of you, you're shopping rather blindly...

Having the choices in the catalog is the best way for us to educate the buyer that there are different options available on the market... Otherwise, you'd be prone to assume that everybody sells the same stuff coming over on the same boat, and you'd shop on price alone. Lord knows there's enough of that going on as it is.

Anyhow, again, if the Carpenter import is giving anyone else headaches, email over the site or send me a PM. But typically, when it's a high-volume sku, if it's "unworkable", we hear about it every day.
Rick, I just want to add, I was in no way knocking NPD, I have 5 vintage mustangs and every single part I buy comes from NPD. My son and I just finished a 3 yr nut and bolt resto on his 65 fastback. I live less than an hour from the MI store and can't tell you how many trips I made there. I go see every part I buy in person, cause not all parts are created equal!

malarson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #34 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

No worries, I was just clearing up any confusion, because when it comes to "repro" trunk weatherstrips, extrusion tools are CHEAP, and there's probably 8-10 different manufacturers/choices available out there.. THANKS for your past and ongoing business, we certainly do appreciate it.

Rick
NPD
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #35 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

Incidentally it was your guys at Charlotte who insisted it was no trouble at all to go dragging stuff out of the warehouse just to show me side by side comparisons of why I should spend a few more dollars on better parts. Which I did, of course.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 PM   #36 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

That's great to know, and that's how they're supposed to serve our counter. There's an enormous value and benefit to being able to see what you're buying before you buy, and compare competing products before you buy...

This requires three things that we prioritize HIGHLY.

1. Having every single part in-stock, period, regardless of size/popularity/expense.
2. Having salespeople willing to take their time with you, given you've invested your time in driving to see us.
3. Maintaining multiple warehouses to make reasonable-access available to a broader area of the U.S..

We pitch a ton of sheetmetal over our counters, to people who will drive over state lines for the luxury of inspecting/comparing, and then carrying-with to avoid truck-freight expense and risk.

But bottom-line, if you don't have your cart stocked with apples, there's no point/purpose in visiting the cart.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #37 (permalink)

Hey Rick, was that you on My Classic Car hawking rust preventatives?

malarson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Yes, that was me desperately trying to fill 5 minutes of television...
Old 12-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #39 (permalink)

Will brand-new in-the-package weatherstripping harden over time? Say for instance if it is stored on a shelf (or wherever) for 10 years or more.

Daily Driver
2006 GT Convertible

Toys & projects
1968 GT/CS
1965 Craigslist Mustang
1969 Barn-Find Coupe
1965 Fastback money pit
stephanorf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #40 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Ehhh.... Man, that's really environmentally-conditional... In general, YES... Or sometimes, it'll return to it's primary elements (i.e. turn to mush/goo).

I've thrown away plenty of NOS Ford weatherstripping that finally decided it wanted to follow the laws of entropy...

But heck, all you can really do is squeeze it, tug on it, and make a call...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.