Toploader cast numbers - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Toploader cast numbers

So I pulled the old toploader out. It took me and my wife a day to do it (we are both new to this and learning as we go). The cast numbers on the body itself just below the top pan says: C5AR-7006-D W 1(or it could be I too). And at the tailshaft it says: C7OR-7A040-A and W 1 (again, or it could be I too). I am not expert but I think the C5 means it came from a 1965 car. But I don't know what the cast numbers on the tailshaft means. Also, does the W means it is a wide ratio gear box?

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

Man I wish my woman would take intrest in working on a car. Im new at this too, but she has no intrest in cars. You got a keeper man
goyard74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

There should be a metal tag riveted to the passenger side of the case between the mounting holes. Stamped RUG- or HEH- that will help you identify what it orginally came out of.
v159hill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

goyard74: Yes she is a keeper. She doesn't get scared to getting dirty under the sun. Her dad flips cars and old beat up houses and sells it. I guess that explains everything. Her dad is a Ford nut too (thank God. It would have been hard to break the ice.). The car is basically our project.

v159hill: That was the first thing I did looked for but to no avail.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is how it looks. I can't seem to upload cast numbers on the body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0676.jpg (98.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0678.jpg (101.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 08-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Here it is.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok here is the cast on the body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0675.jpg (100.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 08-19-2012, 09:35 PM   #8 (permalink)

David Kees website says that C7OR-7A040-A tail housing is for 1967 up Fairlane, Cyclone 427, 428, 1968-69 Mustang 428, 429, 14" length, 31 spline. And C5AR-7006-D is 1965 casting used from 65-67. Wide 8 hole case.
Decode your casting here: David Kee Toploader Transmissions, Inc. "ID Charts".
Not sure what the "W" means...but it does not refer to wide or close ratio gearing.

Joe

Currently own:
1965 Mercury Comet Hardtop
289/Autolite 4100/4spd Toploader

1964 Ford Falcon convertible. 289/C4. PS, power disc brakes, power top
jmd66fb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

jmd66fb: So from the numbers, is it possible that this is the original transmission?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

The tag on the side will tell you more than the casting numbers.
67t5ponycoupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

ok. that sucks.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member

all 65-67 mustangs came with the C5########### cast in the side of the main case. this case has a treaded hole and screw that holds the top detent spring in. the 64-65 uses a "hatchet head" rail assymbly. in 66 ford went to a different rail kit. in 68 the casting number became C8######## on the side of the main case. the tag on the side tells what car , engine combo and gear ratio it "came from the factory" as. a lot of guys like me have made wide ratio close ratios and visa versa and left the tag on when we sold the car or toploader. its best to put the trans in 1st gear, mark the input , mark the output and turn the output shaft 1 full turn. if the input turns 2-1/3 turns its a close ratio , 2-3/4 turns its a wide ratio. all factory big inputs were close ratio only BUT theres some aftermarket wide ratio big inputs that look just like the factory close input. remember your dealing with transmissions 45 years old and no telling what some guy like me changed inside. btw , i only use the C5 main case and i use 4 hatchet heads in the shift rails instead of 2. the easiest shifting are the 66-up rails with round oval head detents.

Last edited by supershifter2; 08-21-2012 at 03:22 AM.
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Super shifter: sorry i don't quite understand when you say four or two ratchet. is it safe to say that this is the original transmission? Thanks for the info. I'm having it freshen up here in Houston.

Last edited by zhlange; 08-20-2012 at 12:52 PM.
zhlange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhlange View Post
is it safe to say that this is the original transmission? Thanks for the info. I'm having it freshen up here in Houston.
maybe /maybe not the original trans. i called Dan Willians and he said it could be a leftover 67 trans ford put in it cause in 68 the casting number on the case should start with c8 not c5. the tail housing is the correct number for up to a 67-69 big block. big block mustangs have the shifter mounted a few inches from the end of the tail and small block mustangs have the shifter mounted at the end of the tail. there is spose to be a tag on the passenger side of the main case at the front. it has letters , if the tag is there get all the letters off and post them.

Last edited by supershifter2; 08-20-2012 at 07:34 PM.
supershifter2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
all 65-67 mustangs came with the C5########### cast in the side of the main case. this case has a treaded hole and screw that holds the top detent spring in. the 65-67 uses a "hatchet head" rail assymbly. in 68 ford went to a different rail kit and didint tap the hole and changed the casting number to C8######## on the side of the main case. the tag on the side tells what car , engine combo and gear ratio it "came from the factory" as. a lot of guys like me have made wide ratio close ratios and visa versa and left the tag on when we sold the car or toploader. its best to put the trans in 1st gear, mark the input , mark the output and turn the output shaft 1 full turn. if the input turns 2-1/3 turns its a close ratio , 2-3/4 turns its a wide ratio. all factory big inputs were close ratio only BUT theres some aftermarket wide ratio big inputs that look just like the factory close input. remember your dealing with transmissions 45 years old and no telling what some guy like me changed inside. btw , i only use the C5 main case and i use 4 hatchet heads in the shift rails instead of 2. the easiest shifting are the 68-up rails with round oval head detents.
Good info!
Can you elaborate on the hatchet and smooth detent shift rails? Why did Ford change the design (for smoother shifts?) and why do you use 4 hatchets instead of the 2? I just overhauled my narrow case Toploader and Im curious.
Thanks!

Joe

Currently own:
1965 Mercury Comet Hardtop
289/Autolite 4100/4spd Toploader

1964 Ford Falcon convertible. 289/C4. PS, power disc brakes, power top
jmd66fb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.