triple carbs on an inline 6 - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagner View Post
So I have seen many pictures on inline sixes with the triple carb setup and I would love to do it to my car someday. I, unlike many other people, love my inline 6. I would just like some more get up and go. Where do you get this setup? does anyone sell a kit. I looked on ford sixes website and didnt see one. Also, it seems to me that this would make a drastic improvement from the stock one barrel. Am I right? I also looked at the 2 barrel adapter but that just looks dumb. Why have a 2 barrel carb if the manifold hole is still the sixe for a 1 barrel. Anyways, what is yalls opinion?

IMHO and experience over the past 60 years, you won't notice any appreiable power, but if you just want to "modify" something, then a 4BBL(
less expensive), is the way to go, but don't expect anything in the seat of your pants. :-)

Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #17 (permalink)

With a 3-1V, upgrade cam, T5 5-speed, dual headers, front discs, Arning drop, and 1" front bar, it'd have the power of a mild V8, and the handling of a GT. A budget upgrade and still get good milege. And drive people nutz at cruise night.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

I quite like mine.

Old 09-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #19 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I just got through with the restoration of the engine I was supplied with when I bought my T code. I ended up with a 302 and if you look at my gallery of "More photos of the coolest car in Australia" you'll see what I've been up to. I would have enjoyed the original 6 just as much. My brother is 12 years older than me so I remember well, how he used to take anything from any where and convert it into something it wasn't supposed to be. He raced cars on dirt and when he finished with one of his production sedans he placed the motor in a road car. I was a 225 slant 6 originally and he had gapped it for racing, bored to to its' third sleeve, placed triple carbs and extractors on it as well. The gearbox used to blow quite often with the torque it put out so watch out for that side of things as has already been mentioned. Everywhere we went people would come from everywhere to see what was under the bonnet. I think I can recall a sticker somewhere that said get in, sit down, Hold on and shut up. I was never ashamed to be in that car. The new owner, after he sold that car forgot to fill the 2nd radiator that was set up in the boot and blew the motor a week later, so pay mind to that as well.
mustangpaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 01:12 AM   #20 (permalink)

Thanks for all the help guys. I am just curious at this point about this and I will be doing research about it so I can one day do it to my car. As to the just get a V8 post, yes V8's are cool and powerful and everyone wants one. BUT everyone has one. thats all you see at shows nowadays. I love my I6. I will probably buy a few more I6's in the future. Not to say I dont want a big block mustang one day, because I certainly do. I am at the R&d stage right now. I want a fun car, and I feel like a built 6 with a T5 and some suspension upgrades would be fun as hell. Plus I can get a super nice 6 for a small fraction of the cost of a V8. I can have 2 6'sfor the cost of one V8. And two is always better than one when it comes to mustangs hahaha
tdagner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #21 (permalink)

I started my journey on road of the lust for rust with a 53 Chevy pickup, so I did a bit of discovery on performance upgrades albeit for a brand x motor. And then there's these freaks: Ford Six Performance 200ci to 250ci Swap Notes
Yowza. Might just have to do that to the 60 Falcon Wagon provided I ever find one...
Someone takes his pants off and the rafters knock
Rock is dead they say
Long Live Rock!
67 conv. 289 4spd(mine), 67 coupe 289 Export(swmbo's)

ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim View Post
Rolls, Mercedes, Jaguar, Duesenberg, Hudson Hornet, Chebby Stovebolt just a few that "struggled" with inline 6s with some success!!
As well as BMW.
tom991 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by datac View Post
I quite like mine.

I love this. There is no way I would do a V8 swap in this car. I've always loved your sig and wanted to see that motor in your car. Not trying to thread-jack here, but do you have more pics? I'm sure everyone would love to see them.

1968 Coupe - Original Sprint B, J-Code Car
quik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2012, 01:39 PM   #24 (permalink)

Thanks, there's more pics than anyone could want to see here:

Picasa Web Albums - S - Mustang

Here's a crummy video just after break-in, car is bloody loud:

Mustang pictures by wfteoslh - Photobucket

Still a long ways to go, need to get the windows in and the top back together...
Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #25 (permalink)

From SF Craigslist 9/17/12
I have no connection to the mds or seller.

Falcon / Comet 6 cyl. performance parts - $600 (San Francisco)

Date: 2012-09-14, 9:18PM PDT
Reply to this post b6xqz-3272900028@sale.craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

These parts are for a 144-170-200 c.i. 6 cylinder engine in Falcon /Comet/ Mustang/ Maverick and Econoline. Includes cylinder head already machined for Offenhauser 3 carb intake, Offenhauser intake manifold, Clifford 6=8 aluminum valve cover, Mallory dual point distributor, exhaust header for dual exhaust, header gaskets and all bits and pieces for linkage, two different Clifford performance cams, solid lifters, pushrods, and extra length rocker adjusters. All parts except cylinder head are new and have never been used. Rare as a whole package. Would make a really cool set up plus the horsepower! $600.00 obo

hot rod rat rod custom upgrade modify engine cylinder head performance headers ford vintage inline 6 clifford holley weber mercury classic 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1970 1971 1972
mst4evr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 PM   #26 (permalink)

That's an OK deal for a bunch of parts, especially if you're not keen on cutting your own head for the Offy. Keep in mind that those lifters aren't hydraulic, so you'll likely want something different in your 200...
Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #27 (permalink)

Ford Six Performance Home/Index - good forum of 6 cylinder nuts. Great resource for asking questions on what you can do with the 6 cylinder. I'm there quite a bit myself while figuring out what to do with mine. The forum is specifically about 6 cylinder engines - there are car owners of all flavors there, and IIRC even a subforum for other brands. I go there for my inline 6 info and here for my general mustang stuff.

Classic Inlines Performance Parts - Home - these guys have picked the ball up regarding ford inline 6 performance. Clifford seems to have taken a back seat in recent years. Get the falcon 6 performance book from them as a first step. It's kind of pricey for what it is but it has a lot of information on what you can do to improve the engine, and have several stages of recommendations, mild/cheap to wild/expensive.

And no, I don't work for classicinlines, nor am I moderator on the forum.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:05 PM   #28 (permalink)
bui

Hi Datac, i don't know u still looking at this if u do, i want to do some like what u had done to your, what i should buy N where. Thank you, my email, nbui@apple.com
bui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #29 (permalink)

Well since I started with a V8, I had to go with 3x2's. Got off a friend so was cheap. LOVE the wow factor at a cruz.

FYI a 6V web site for general info.
http://www.ford6v.com/6vclassified/6vclassified.htm

Last edited by sixtysevenGTconv; 10-22-2014 at 08:38 PM.
sixtysevenGTconv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2014, 11:50 PM   #30 (permalink)

Upgrade the head to a later style. The 200 log head is very anemic and restrictive. Not to mention a pain because the manifold is cast with the head as one.

302 factory four speed 1 of 245 (still has original drivetrain)
.030 overbore, TFS 170 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, Lunati cam (.571/.587 lift 231/239 @.50 duration), 10:1 compression, Quick fuel 650 DP, Eagle Rods, hurst shifter, 3.55 posi...
happystang is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.