1966 Shel(b)y - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #31 (permalink)

Default Project Update (28 Oct 12)

In late October the engine intake components were replaced/upgraded and consisted of installing a Holley 4160 Street Performance aluminum 4-barrel carburetor atop a Blue Thunder reproduction Shelby SM2S-type aluminum high riser intake manifold. Also installed was a pair of Ford Racing reproduction Cobra open-letter finned aluminum valve covers.

The AOD transmission rebuild was completed week before last and installation/conversion commenced utilizing components from CJ Pony Parts’ AOD Conversion Kit (P/N AODCK) consisting of Ron Morris Performance crossmember, California Pony Cars’ slip yoke, Pioneer Automotive Industries’ transmission mount, Lokar Performance Products’ AOD Kickdown Cable Kit & Throttle Cable Bracket/Springs, and CJ Pony Parts’ AOD Shift Linkage.

Contrary to conversations with another forum member, who stated that it could be made to work with minor modification, the right side tri-Y header did indeed interfere with the AOD transmission case and thus are being replaced with a set of Hedman thermal-coated “shorties” in order to accommodate the transmission install. Anyone in the market for a set of near-new Pertronix ceramic-coated tri-Y headers?

Upon completion of the AOD install, it’ll be back to the shop to finish the exhaust (tie in to the new headers and installation of the H-pipe assembly, which was deferred until after the tranny swap). At this point, I will also weld in the support plate to accommodate the installation of an export brace.

Parts are on hand for a couple of small projects that will follow which include the afore mentioned export brace, installation of a new trunk kit and swap of original glove box & instrument bezel for repop deluxe-type woodgrain pieces.

Still on the “to do” list (due to backorder) are replacement of shocks and rear leaf springs, under ride traction bars, and final gearing change (2.80:1 > 3.55:1).

Mods: Arning/Shelby drop; progressive-rate front & 4.5 leaf mid-eye rear springs; 1" sway bar; Monte Carlo bar/export brace; Hedman shorties w/ 2.25" dual exhaust, Flowmaster S40; PerTronix Ignitor II; Cobra hi-rise intake & Holley 4V 600-cfm carb; AOD tras; 3.55:1 final gearing

Last edited by SoCo66; 11-01-2012 at 01:26 PM.
SoCo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #32 (permalink)

Default Project Update (19 Nov 12)

In early November, with new headers installed, the AOD installation/conversion was "completed" and the car was returned to my mechanic for completion of the exhaust system (tie in to new headers & installation of H-pipe assembly), suspension (new shocks, 4.5-leaf mid-eye rear springs, under ride traction bars) and final gearing swap (2.80:1 to 3.55:1).

After driving just a short bit, however, there was a pronounced "out of balance" vibration noticed at higher RPMs and it was discovered that the incorrect flexplate had been sourced/installed during the tranny conversion, thus necessitating a trip back to the shop for resolution… Additionally, somewhere along the recent process, the center steering arm was also bent (bowed against the trans pan) which will now also necessitate replacement.

Once resolved, items remaining on the immediate “to do” list include installation of export brace as well as a few cosmetic upgrades (installation of a new trunk kit, gas cap, sunvisors and swap of original glove box & instrument bezel for repop deluxe-type woodgrain pieces).

Based on my original plan, over the winter I plan to undertake some, if not all of the following upgrade projects:
  • Cobra aluminum oil pan
  • cam & heads
  • one-wire alt
  • radiator upgrade
  • Interior – seat foam/covers & door panels

Mods: Arning/Shelby drop; progressive-rate front & 4.5 leaf mid-eye rear springs; 1" sway bar; Monte Carlo bar/export brace; Hedman shorties w/ 2.25" dual exhaust, Flowmaster S40; PerTronix Ignitor II; Cobra hi-rise intake & Holley 4V 600-cfm carb; AOD tras; 3.55:1 final gearing
Old 11-19-2012, 10:44 AM   #33 (permalink)

Way to keep at it. How does it sit now with all the changes?
GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350R Klone View Post
Way to keep at it. How does it sit now with all the changes?
Thanks! The car's stance is much improved now, with the front lowered approx. 1.25" between Arning/Shelby drop and new progressive-rate springs. Rear height is also better though I've not taken measurements to see exactly how much drop was accomplished w/ new 4.5 mid-eye leafs. These advertised a 1" drop over stock, but since the "stock" springs were likely over aggressively re-arched at some point in the past, the difference is likely more than this.

Updated pix coming soon, but not likely until the next update after the turkey day holiday.

pws

Old 11-21-2012, 11:56 AM   #35 (permalink)

I will on the edge of my seat until I see some new pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCo66 View Post

Updated pix coming soon, but not likely until the next update after the turkey day holiday.

pws
Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #36 (permalink)

Default Project Update (2 Dec 12)

Chell-B finally returned home December 1st, following a two-month “world tour” of local shops.

Most recently completed was the swap of the (to the correct) AOD flexplate, installation of engine bay export brace, final alignment of exhaust, and repair of leaking thermostat (replaced housing, chrome). The bent center steering arm was repaired and alignment confirmed. Upon return home, several recently received items were installed including replacement of trunk kit (consisting of filler board, underlayment, vinyl/fleece trunk mat, spare tire mounting kit/cover & jack pack), gas cap, sunvisors, transmission bezel and “deluxe” woodgrain glove box door. Installation of matching “deluxe” woodgrain instrument bezel is next up…

Now starting to piece together components for my partial interior make-over... TMI Two-tone "pony" seat covers in light blue/white with matching standard door panels.

As promised, here's a few pix of recently completed projects...

Corbra repop hi-rise intake & Holly 4V-600 cfm carb

Engine compartment, above & below (in dire need of detailing)

Thermal-coated Hedman shorties replaced tri-Ys (necessitated due to AOD swap)

Rear stance (above & below) greatly improved w/ installation of 4.5-leaf mid-eye rear springs

pws

Old 12-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #37 (permalink)

Nice car!
69DroptopGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #38 (permalink)

Nice ride. I love Brittany blue.
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
md02geist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #39 (permalink)

THAT is a great Stang! Good work!
stang69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #40 (permalink)

Location: Churchville, a little town outside of Rochester NY.

Sittin pretty now! Nice vert!
Txasflood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by md02geist View Post
Nice ride. I love Brittany blue.
Thanks for the kudos. The color is actually "silver blue" per the data plate (code "Y"), however, it did receive a repaint about 12 years ago and I'm not entirely sure how accurate they were in paint color selection...

pws

Old 12-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #42 (permalink)

Default Project Update (2 Dec 12)... Cont'd

Here's one more photo w/ new "deluxe" glove box door and instrument bezel installed.

Still a couple of kinks to work out that came up during the re-install of the gauge cluster, but hey, that's what winter weekends are for, right?

pws

Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #43 (permalink)

Very nice. That is where the rear tire is suppose to be!
Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #44 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to txtrailerdaddy1

So now you've had the AOD in for a while, and you did the lower gears...... 3.73 as I recall and I didn't read back. I've been hearing the issue with the AOD, especially when going with lower gears, is that it shifts through the gears really fast, and in particular the 2-3 shift. Have you noticed this? Hows the car behaving with the lower gears, and what kind of mileage are you getting? Im getting ready to get mine going and just wondering.

1967 Base coupe w/ Fox Body 5.0 EFI, AOD, 5 spring leafs for the rear, new upper and lower arms & bushings, 1" sway bar, Shelby drop, KYB gas-adjust shocks x4, Borgeson P/S, CAA A/C, AAW wiring harness, RJM EFI harness, 20 gal fuel tank, VHX Digital Dakota gauges, Tin Man sub frame connectors, 2.5" Magnaflow dual exhaust. http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...-my-build.html
txtrailerdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #45 (permalink)

Why is the horn button crooked? Have you done the internal engine upgrades yet? When you do, you should do this:

http://www.mustangbarn.com/PDFs/Port%20Matching.pdf

Last edited by 22GT; 02-09-2013 at 09:03 AM.
22GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.