1966 Shel(b)y - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Book 1966 Shel(b)y

Greetings fellow Mustangers!

After years of contemplating/planning and, more recently, several weeks of shopping, I've just recently purchased a very clean, rust-free and mostly original '66 convertible.

Shel(b)y’s original specs are as follows:

• Model Year: 1966
  • Assembly Point: San Jose, CA
  • Body Type: Convertible
  • Engine: 289cid 2V 200hp V-8
  • Exterior Color: Silver Blue (poly)
  • Interior: Standard/Blue with Blue Trim
  • Production Date: October 8, 1965
  • DSO: Denver
  • Rear Axle Ratio: 2.80:1, Equa-Lock Differential
  • Transmission: Cruise-O-Matic dual-range C4 automatic

Factory Options (from the included original window sticker):
  • Battery Heavy Duty-55 Amp
  • Front Disc Brakes
  • Limited Slip Differential
  • Tinted Glass with Banded Windshield
  • Visibility Group
  • Radio (AM) and Antenna
  • Wire Wheel Covers

Dealer Option:
  • Tonneau cover, p/n C5ZZ-76501A42-A

Though some of this information was posted in another thread, I am re-posting here with the intent of using this thread as an ongoing project journal. As such, stay tuned for more to come as the transformation begins…

pws

Mods: Arning/Shelby drop; progressive-rate front & 4.5 leaf mid-eye rear springs; 1" sway bar; Monte Carlo bar/export brace; Hedman shorties w/ 2.25" dual exhaust, Flowmaster S40; PerTronix Ignitor II; Cobra hi-rise intake & Holley 4V 600-cfm carb; AOD tras; 3.55:1 final gearing
SoCo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

thats a pretty mustang ya got there !
Old 09-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ok, by the Shel(b)y wordage, is that a hint that we are about to see a clone develop before our eyes?
Can't wait! But that is one beautiful ragtop if you decide to leave it as is, sans the 4WD look. Man, those are some tall springs in the rear! And is that a body side molding/door ding protector I see? What was someone thinking when that was applied? I'd take my chances with the parking lots.
with White LeMans stripes.

Last edited by ScottsGT; 09-21-2012 at 09:10 AM.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

nice one and welcome aboard
MrRon1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Welcome. Very nice pony you got there!

May I ask in what part of Colorado you are? I'm in Colorado Springs. If you're near CS, I want to extend an invitation to join the Rocky Mountain Mustangers. It's a very laid-back club with a lot of good people who own some amazing Mustangs.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to just show up at a meeting. We simply have dinner at the Mimi's on Powers, then briefly cover the administrative stuff. After that, we all go out to the parking lot to admire the Mustangs tied up outside.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 11:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Looks to be in great condition, congrats.

Caper50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 01:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

that is one really sweet convertable! Congratulations on the purchase
Old 09-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Very nice.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
Ok, by the Shel(b)y wordage, is that a hint that we are about to see a clone develop before our eyes?
Can't wait! But that is one beautiful ragtop if you decide to leave it as is, sans the 4WD look. Man, those are some tall springs in the rear! And is that a body side molding/door ding protector I see? What was someone thinking when that was applied? I'd take my chances with the parking lots.
ScottsGT:

Yes and no re: her name... My pre-purchase vision was indeed to to clone the red 1966 Shelby G.T.350 convertible (VIN #6S2377), however, since purchasing, I've decided to do somewhat of a stock/stealth-GT350 hybrid. While I'll maintain most all outward appearances as near stock (with allowances for a bit of creativity), I plan on converting most of the mechanicals to Shelby GT350 specs. As such, the name is partly a nod to ol' Shel and partly to my wife, Michelle, whose nickname is 'Chelly. Combining the two, I arrived at "Shel(b)y". Wait... damn! That's too long for a vanity plate. How about Chell-B?

Can't say on the springs... The car was advertised as "mostly original", however, it also had a restoration (albeit mid-quality and poorly documented) done back in 1993-'94. Good possibility that the stock springs were replaced at that time... Certainly can't imagine that the stockers would still be sitting that high. Maybe the original buyer selected the optional towing package.

Agreed re: taking chances in the parking lots... The (tacky) aftermarket side molding was added by one of the two previous owners and was removed the day after I got 'er home (just awaiting a good detailing to take care of the last bits of remaining adhesive).

pws

Mods: Arning/Shelby drop; progressive-rate front & 4.5 leaf mid-eye rear springs; 1" sway bar; Monte Carlo bar/export brace; Hedman shorties w/ 2.25" dual exhaust, Flowmaster S40; PerTronix Ignitor II; Cobra hi-rise intake & Holley 4V 600-cfm carb; AOD tras; 3.55:1 final gearing

Last edited by SoCo66; 09-23-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
Welcome. Very nice pony you got there!

May I ask in what part of Colorado you are? I'm in Colorado Springs. If you're near CS, I want to extend an invitation to join the Rocky Mountain Mustangers. It's a very laid-back club with a lot of good people who own some amazing Mustangs.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to just show up at a meeting. We simply have dinner at the Mimi's on Powers, then briefly cover the administrative stuff. After that, we all go out to the parking lot to admire the Mustangs tied up outside.
Klutch:

Thanks! I'm pretty proud of 'er.

I'm in Pueblo West, however, the car was born & raised in Springs (residing there all 'er life 'til this past August).

Thanks for the invite, while I plan on joining the local (Southern Colorado) Mustang Club, I'm sure that we'll have the opportunity to bump into one another from time to time. I'll PM you with my contact info.

pws

Old 09-21-2012, 03:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCo66 View Post
Klutch:

Thanks! I'm pretty proud of 'er.

I'm in Pueblo West, however, the car was born & raised in Springs (residing there all 'er life 'til this past August).

Thanks for the invite, while I plan on joining the local (Southern Colorado) Mustang Club, I'm sure that we'll have the opportunity to bump into one another from time to time. I'll PM you with my contact info.

pws

Indeed, we occasionally get together with the Southern Colorado Mustang Club. I Look forward to seeing you and your Mustang next time we do.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

Default 1966 Chell-B - History, Concept & Plan

HISTORY
  • Born October 8, 1965 in San Jose, CA… Denver District Sales Office
  • Purchased new by Owner #1 from Phil Long Ford, Colorado Springs, Colorado, October 12, 1965
  • Purchased by Owner #2 of Colorado Springs, Colorado on June 25, 1971
  • Sold to Just Right Motors of Englewood, Colorado on August 17,2012
  • Purchased by Patrick W. Scoggin (owner #3) from Just Right Motors on September 3, 2012

THE CONCEPT

“Chell-B” started out as little more than a concept in my head nearly ten years ago. Ironically, it was the release of the new (in 2005) nostalgia-themed Mustang that rekindled my interest in owning a classic pony. I say “rekindled” as I have always had a karmic connection to the Mustang as we were both “born” on the same day in April '64.

My dream car involved restoring-modifying a 1966 Candyapple Red convertible in the image of the red 1966 Shelby G.T.350 convertible (VIN #6S2377). In August 2012, with another investment opportunity having fallen through, I found myself with $26,000 burning a hole in my pocket…

The search was on and within a couple of weeks a suitable candidate was located in Denver. After a quick trip to inspect, test drive, and haggle, I stuck a deal and drove home with it five days later on September 8th. Ironically, it was later discovered that the previous owner was a long-time acquaintance of my father.

First impressions upon close inspection revealed that the car is clean, rust free and mostly original. Documentation from the previous owner indicated that the car had undergone a “complete total restoration” nearly two decades ago (1993) which appears to have included a mid-quality repaint in the original color, a new interior, and a new convertible top (in 1994).

Now that I have the car, a dilemma ensues… The car is not the factory red with black standard interior that I envisioned in my dreams, but rather silver blue with a blue/blue standard interior… A color combination which has since grown on me considerably. As such, I have decided (for now) to maintain the stock appearance while focusing efforts on driveability improvements. With this, I have established the following criteria for future modifications to the car (which remain subject to change at my whim):
  1. Maintenance of originality in overall appearance, while allowing for minor cosmetic modification; and
  2. Maintenance and/or improvement of mechanicals with focus on period-correct Ford/Cobra accessories and Shelby-style upgrades in braking, suspension, steering, exhaust and drivetrain performance enhancements.

THE PLAN

Based upon the aforementioned concept, my plan (in order of completion) is as follows:
  • Upgrade to dual mst cyl, Shelby quick steering kit (Pittman/idler arms), lowered A-Arms (Shelby drop), progressive springs, Monte Carlo bar; Hi-Po air cleaner; 1” sway bar; PerTronix elect. ignition; repro wood steering wheel; Custom Autosound USA630 w/ Kenwood dash & kick panel speakers (in progress).
  • Tri-Y headers & dual exhaust w/ Flowmaster S40 & turn-downs (Oct 2012)
  • Drivetrain I - AOD conversion; replace rear diff. gears (3.55:1), replace driveshaft (aluminum); Shelby high-rise intake manifold, Holley 4V 600 cfm carb (winter)
  • Drivetrain II - cam; heads; Shelby GT350 valve covers/oil pan; high capacity radiator & Hi-Po fan; 1-wire 60A alt; export brace
  • Rear Suspension - 5-leaf springs & Traction Master underriders
  • Wheels & tires - 15x7 Magnum 500 w/ 215/60R15
  • Interior - Standard/Pony? Hybrid?
  • Paint - media blast to metal & repaint

Along the way, I'm sure that there will be other cosmetic and/or wear & tear items to be replaced as I go along. Also, some smaller projects are certain to get bumped around within this sequence as time and $$ allow. Interior and paint fall later on the "to do" list as both are in decent shape as is and this will allow some time to consider whether to restore as original or follow my dreams.

pws

Last edited by SoCo66; 09-23-2012 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Misspelling & updated info
Old 09-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Best of luck. I look forward to this story unfolding.

Peter
1965 Fastback Restomod, GT350 replica, 5.0, SSBC 4WDB, Functional side brake cooling scoops, Fuel cell, WC 5 spd, 9 inch, 355s, Vintage air, Borgenson PS, Tri Ys, side exit exhaust. GT350 hood. GT 350 Dash Pod

Previous Ponies:
1967 Mustang GT Fastback, sold
2007 GT500 sold
1990 SSP Missouri state trooper 5.0 coupe
Pmustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

I am in OK but I have family in Pueblo West....we don't speak to them though lol!!
Good choice on the car...very nice!

- 347 Stroker - 417 HP, 416 lb. ft torque
- Holley Terminator EFI (Installation Thread)
- 4 speed Toploader
- American Autowire Installation (VMF & CJPP)
66FSTBCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #15 (permalink)

Why the Shelby spec items? Unless your goal is nostalge, there a much better modern options these days. Better suspensions, better brakes, aftermarket fuel injection, etc..

Honestly, if it were me, I'd drive it as is with minimal mods for safety, and find another for a project to go "Balls to the Walls" with.

Thank God your side trim wasn't those rivit on extruded aluminum channels with the rubber inserts.

Try placing the rear on jack stands and loosen all the spring to body bolts to see if the springs were just bolted on wrong. They might just be under tension from the bolts.
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.