Pertronix II Relay - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Pertronix II Relay

This Pertronix II has been giving me fits since I installed (on two cars). Same issues on both cars. Fires up on cold engine fine. Runs rough after warming up and a real bitch to start when warm/hot. All my research shows the issue(s) are the resistor in the Ignition wire. So to keep this "Clean", I am opting for the Relay configuration.

Here is my question to all you professionals.

Should I use a SPST (Single Pole Single Throw) or, SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw)?

I plan on going direct to the constant power on my solenoid fuse that is hooked up to my single wire Alternator.

Thoughts PLEASE.

Cheers,
Rik
69cobraman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

You don't need a double throw relay - though it wouldn't hurt to use one (you'll just have an unused wire/post.

I bought a bunch of double throw relays and relay harneses cheap years ago so that I have them on hand. With all the old vehicles I end up messing with it's really handy.

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-5-Pin-Relay-Socket/dp/B0002ZPUMG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1351536039&sr=8-5&keywords=12v+relay
http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS125-12-VCD-Automotive-Relay/dp/B0002KR9GG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351536039&sr=8-1&keywords=12v+relay
Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd do none of the above.... I'd simply bypass the resistance wire (leaving it in place) with a length of 12ga primary wire.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
I'd do none of the above.... I'd simply bypass the resistance wire (leaving it in place) with a length of 12ga primary wire.
I'd do the same only after I tested with an alligator clip jumper to make sure this is the problem.

Ron

-----REMEMBER-----

BUY AMERICAN, YOUR LIFESTYLE DEPENDS ON IT!
4mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

How long is the actual resistor wire and did you just splice into the wire ahead of it? I installed a relay for the same reasons since my MSD distributor really wanted 12V. But now, of course, my rally pac won't work and I need to either run a new wire or do this bypass.
mph65k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2012, 12:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

On my 66, I have a fused #10 wire switched by a relay (SPST) feeding an aux fuse block. I unplugged my pink resistor wire from the bullet connector off ignition switch and connected the relay to ignition switch. I ran a #12 wire off the new fuse block to my HEI and a #14 to my electric choke. They both get a excellent source of power and work great. No voltage drop from all that factory wiring harness!

Rehab is for quiters!

Huskinhano is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default UPDate

Finally completed the Relay installation this weekend for the Ignition Switch to Coil. So far so good. The car starts right up on both cold and hot engine easily. I need to do more testing after a hot Texas day. This may be the trick...

And LOCALFIEND- Thanks for the links. I used those and purchased a Relay that could tolerate water. Figured being under the hood, it would be useful.

Cheers,
69cobraman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.