64 1/2 Resto redo - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 64 1/2 Resto redo

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but not new to Mustangs. I have a raven black coupe with a 289 auto that I've owned for the last 23 years. I did the restoration back in 1990 and I think its time to make a few changes.

The body and paint are still in great shape and I don't plan to make any exterior changes, but I've decided to make some major changes to the interior. The car originally came with white interior with black appointments. When I did the restoration I was working in a foundry and didn't want to see that white interior get foundry dust ground into it, so I changed the color scheme to all black. I've never really been thrilled with that choice of color or with the quality of the work I did back then. Patience was not my strong suit when I was 23!

I've been having some electrical issues with it for the last few summers and I've found that working on nearly 50 year old brittle wiring is a losing battle, so I decided to order a new wiring harness from American autowire. I also decided that since I was going to have to pull a good bit of the interior out to change the harness that I might as well take the opportunity to correct my past mistakes with the interior as well as add some creature comforts to make driving more enjoyable.

I'm still not going back to white interior, but I've decided on a red and white color scheme. Red dash pad, white dash, red doors with white door panels, red and white upholstery, and red carpet. I've also decided to lose the factory console. I like the looks of it, but from a functionality standpoint, its darn near useless, as well as expensive to restore. I'd rather and will go with an aftermarket console.

Finally, I've decided to add one of those behind the dash air conditioning kits. It does not have air now, but I always wanted air in it but I never really liked the looks of the factory units that hang under the dash, so when I saw the behind the dash units I thought it would be perfect for what I have in mind.

I think I've talked myself into a lot of work, but I think in the end it will be worthwhile. Wish me luck.
3.00:1 open rear

Resto redo
ravenblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome to VMF. You say you'd like to have behind the dash A/C. Are you referring to 67/68 type? Have you seen one on a 65/66 Mustang? I know the kit is available from Classic Aut Air but seems like installing in the 65/66 could be a real bear. The Stangs from 67 and newer were made to accept the in dash (integral A/C) factory option. For example the 65/66 radio goes where the A/C center outlet is on the 67/68. Also that area is crammed with flexible duct/hoses.

I think it would be really neat, not trying to convince you not to do it. Just saying it's likely a tough project for DIY and probably costly if you hire it out.

Good luck,
enjoy,

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

Welcome and good luck, been there in a hurry and always regret the out come
MrRon1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRon1 View Post
Welcome and good luck, been there in a hurry and always regret the out come

Been where?
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

I had decided on the classic auto air unit. I've not seen one installed but I saw their kit for 64-66 Mustangs. I've been over the installation instructions several times and while it doesn't look like a lot of fun, it does look doable, and it should be easier to do it while I'm doing the AAW harness and interior redo.

Resto redo
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

In a hurry trying to complete the car and than not very happy with the out come of it
Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yep, MrRon, that's how it usually goes. Fortunately, raising 5 kids has done nothing if not taught me patience. LOL It helps that I'll probably be doing most of this work over the winter so I won't be missing much, if any, drive time.

Resto redo
Old 11-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

boy automotive design has come a long ways. I love my factory console to but agree it's usless. They couln't of put one cup holder in it? As for a/c, the under the dash units work pretty good and you really don't notice it when driving. Most center consoles go to the bottom of the dash anyways so.... If it were me I'd use an under dash unit. Early ones have round vents that are nicer looking than the latter rectangle ones. But hey it's your car and Mustangs more than anything were made to suit there owners. Now if you really want to give yourself a job try retrofitting an 80's fox body a/c into a 66 shell. I thought I was pretty cool doing this when I was 17. That poor car will never be the same.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

If your doing most of the work and have 5 kids, u might want to thank the wife as well.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRon1 View Post
If your doing most of the work and have 5 kids, u might want to thank the wife as well.
One kid is gone to the Marines, so only 4 at home now. My other son is leaving for the Marines in January, leaving only the three girls at home. Me and 4 females in the household...Yeah, I can see me spending some quality time in the garage with the Mustang this winter.

Resto redo
Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default here we go

Well, I decided that after an unplanned transmission rebuild in my Jeep, I'm finally ready to get started on the Mustang. I've got most of the parts I ordered late last year, enough to get me started anyway, and the stang taking up all of the garage space.

I think I'm going to be taking a lot of pics along the way, or at least I'm going to try to. Here is what I have to start with.

i217

The pics aren't the best so I will have to try to steal the good camera back from my daughter.

Resto redo
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

By the way, I'm also planning on doing some sound control. I have some peel and seal to use on the floors and some duct insulation to use on the vertical surfaces with spray adhesive. I know where I can get closed cell foam pretty cheap, but the mass loaded vinyl is pretty pricey. The best price I've found is this stuff at Home Depot. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UOsMU2go7bU

Does anyone know of any less expensive?

Resto redo

Last edited by ravenblack; 01-09-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #13 (permalink)

Got a bit more done this morning. I found a couple of interesting things. The speedometer is date stamped FEB 7 1964 and the speedometer housing is date stamped FEB 11 1964. I knew this was a pretty early car and I guess it doesn't surprise me that some components are dated even earlier, but its still kind of cool to see it. To me anyway. Makes me wonder, and maybe somebody knows, just when they started production of these cars. I know the introduction was on Apr 17 1964, but when did Ford start building them?

Here are some pics of the progress.

As you can see, the needles on the speedo and gauges need to be repainted. Does anyone know just what color of orange they are? I guess it wouldn't matter too much as long as they're all the same color.

Resto redo

Last edited by ravenblack; 01-09-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Production started on March 9, 1964. I believe that there were pre-production cars as well. Do you know the production date for your car. If you post the first few numbers of the VINs sequence number, we can figure out the production date.

More for less
degins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

According to the door plate, the date code is 16D. I believe that means April 16, 1964. The last six digits are 114715. I think Ford started out with 100001 so that would make this car the 14715th Mustang built.

Resto redo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.