Reverse lights - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Reverse lights

I'm replacing my reverse light housings and the gaskets are kicking my butt! Is there a trick to getting those things to stay on the housing while you're installing them? The gasket has a TINY lip that fits around the housing that seems impossible to have stay in place when you go to install it on the car. Any tips or tricks?
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm confused. I was going to do mine a couple weeks (but never did.. haha).. Shouldn't the gasket just slip over the studs, and the studs slide through the rear valance?
JohnnyK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

They do slip over the studs but mine has a little lip on the gasket that appears to just barely slide over the edge of the housing. It doesn't want to stay in place.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

On my 68 the gasket (I found some NOS ones) is too small to sit in place while the nuts are tightened.

No big trick, just patience. Put the gasket over the studs and start the nuts on. Push the housing toward the valence an work the gasket in place as you tighten the nuts. Be patient you'll end up with the gasket in place and tight against the chrome housing!

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

The backup light gaskets give me more trouble every time I install a set! In the past, I've actually cut a slit in the bottom to make them fit. But that's cheating!

The best tip I've heard is to put them in boiling water for a few seconds. They will soften and stretch just enough to get on the housing and be installed on the car. I've never tried it, but it sounds reasonable.

By the way - your color combo (burgundy with the white vinyl top) is really, really nice!
Dan66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan66 View Post
The backup light gaskets give me more trouble every time I install a set! In the past, I've actually cut a slit in the bottom to make them fit. But that's cheating!

The best tip I've heard is to put them in boiling water for a few seconds. They will soften and stretch just enough to get on the housing and be installed on the car. I've never tried it, but it sounds reasonable.

By the way - your color combo (burgundy with the white vinyl top) is really, really nice!
Have you tried what I described? Also use plastic utinsil picnic knife(s) to slip in the lip of the gasket when working it around into place.

Last edited by slim; 11-08-2012 at 01:06 PM.
slim is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice guys! At least I know I'm not the only one. It was starting to feel like one of those projects that seem so simple but somehow I complicate them by making it harder by missing something obvious! I'll try warming up the gaskets a little then working the nuts/housing/gaskets in place slowly like 'slim' said.

Dan66- I really like this color combo too! Thanks!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.