Carpet kits...again - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Carpet kits...again

I know, this subject has been beaten to death about the ACC carpets and quality, or lack of.
Has anyone noticed that TMI is now offering carpet kits? Any idea if it is just an ACC repackaged or an all new line up offering us a better quality?
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

According to the web site, TMI makes their "Interior products" in Corona, California. If that includes, carpet, then it's not ACC Carpet. It's worth a phone call for confirmation.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
According to the web site, TMI makes their "Interior products" in Corona, California. If that includes, carpet, then it's not ACC Carpet. It's worth a phone call for confirmation.
+ 1

Let us know what you find...
Old 11-09-2012, 03:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

No, they are not making their own Mustang carpet (although they would like to someday)... They are selling Trim Parts brand carpet sets...
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
No, they are not making their own Mustang carpet (although they would like to someday)... They are selling Trim Parts brand carpet sets...
You don't say if that is a re-packaged ACC product?
bryancobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Naw, Trim Parts molds their own carpets... But it's the same Dorsett carpeting that ACC also uses..

Trim Parts has tried to get us to buy their carpets, but they don't have a COMPLETE enough line for us to be able to make the seismic shift. I also can't say whether or not you'd consider it better or worse than ACC. It's shades of grey in positives and negatives..

Also, I think they only recently finally invested in machinery to properly attach the heel pads.

Didn't realize you guys weren't aware of the Trim Parts option..
69bossnine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
Naw, Trim Parts molds their own carpets... But it's the same Dorsett carpeting that ACC also uses..

Trim Parts has tried to get us to buy their carpets, but they don't have a COMPLETE enough line for us to be able to make the seismic shift. I also can't say whether or not you'd consider it better or worse than ACC. It's shades of grey in positives and negatives..

Also, I think they only recently finally invested in machinery to properly attach the heel pads.

Didn't realize you guys weren't aware of the Trim Parts option..
I have sent several emails to the guy who is the CEO of the AMERICAN company that produces Weathertech molded floor mats. His company uses 100% American materials, equipment, and labor.

He has the laser measuring and digitizing capability.

I tried to convince him that making HIGH QUALITY molded carpet for classics would be a very good goal. Almost as large of demand as his mats for SUV's and trucks.

Yes it's apples and oranges mats vs. tufted carpet but there's a big-time vacuum to be filled!

MY BELIEF IS THAT SYNTHETIC BACKING COULD BE MOLDED PER A DIGITIZED 3-D DEVELOPMENT, AND TUFTED AFTER BEING MOLDED USING CNC TUFTING EQUIPMENT THAT PLACES EVERY TUFT MATHEMATICALLY, SO THAT CONVEX AREAS HAVE THE SAME NUMBER OF TUFTS PER INCH THAT THE CONCAVE AREAS HAVE.
http://www.weathertech.com/assets/1/...oyou112SCR.pdf

Last edited by bryancobb; 11-09-2012 at 05:14 PM.
bryancobb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Member

So what is considered the most like original quality replacement carpet? Mine is an early 65 (64 1/2) style black carpet that is bald along the center hump and begs to be replaced. Haven't done it due to higher priority restorations. I'm aware that the heel pads should be molded to the carpeting, not sewn, but what about the tuft quality etc?

1965 200ci I6 Hard-top,
Black & Wimbeldon-White and Awesome Car All-Over!
5F07T381000
Dogface GI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.