Head gasket, or ????? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Head gasket, or ?????

I have a 66 coupe, 1968 302 block, fairly aggressive Crower roller cam, hyd. lifters, roller rockers, alum. heads. The motor has about 300 to 400 miles on it.
About two weeks ago I got on it a little (opened secondaries) and the heater hose came off the fitting on the intake manifold. Put it back together and checked all the other clamps. They were all just a little loose, so I figured the heater hose just wasn't tight enough.
Today I jumped on it pretty good up through 3rd gear. There is now water coming out between the intake and the head just above #4. I can see the gasket is blown out there and the water just flows out with the motor running.
I would think head gasket, but I checked compression and all cylinders had 130 to 140, with most at 135. If the head gasket was letting pressure in the the water jacket, wouldn't compression be down on that cylinder.
I know I have to take the intake off and replace the gaskets, but should I pull the heads at the same time, or put the intake back on and then use the tester to check for combustion gasses in the radiator. Any thoughts on what the problem may be are appreciated.
Hwyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

Sounds like you just have a leaking intake gasket. Some gaskets fit on aftermarket heads better than others. They might not have fit well enough to start with.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks, hopefully that is it and I can fix it in a couple of hours. I was just worried that the two times I got on it, I seemed to have some sort of blow out in the cooling system, like a sudden over pressure. The attached picture is the latest problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2006.jpg (95.3 KB, 27 views)
Hwyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
I won a special award

I have split aftermarket intake gaskets in the past when I torqued the intake manifold down unevenly or too tight. I seriously doubt you have a blown head gasket. Your radiator cap would relieve the pressure once it got above 14-16psi or whatever it's rated at.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

Chinese intake manifold? Possibly the machining is off and may not have a good seal.

Rehab is for quiters!

Huskinhano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

Doubtful on the head gasket.....
Milled heads & un-milled intake?
Or maybe just crappy intake gaskets.
Try using water only when you replace the intake gaskets-
saves on your coolant expenses. If you get no leaks, drain
and refill with antifreeze.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
- Douglas Adams
GT289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

I would use a Fel-Pro blue strip intake gasket along with a thin film of ultra blue silicon sealer around each port on both side of the gasket. They are reinforced to help prevent blowouts. If that was an un-reinforced gasket it could blow as you found out. In the pic the gasket looks like it's a plain Jane "racing" gasket. Those really are not made for long term endurance. I have a set of those that I used only for mock-up during my engine build. Bruce

Last edited by LindenBruce; 11-10-2012 at 01:24 AM.
LindenBruce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.