Summit or Holley Carb?? - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
Holley O-4779C
That's a kind of pricey! What does that one have that the street avenger doesn't? Other than 750 cfm.

- 347 Stroker - 417 HP, 416 lb. ft torque
- Holley Terminator EFI (Installation Thread)
- 4 speed Toploader
- American Autowire Installation (VMF & CJPP)
66FSTBCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #17 (permalink)

I've never used the Summit version of the carb but have used the Holley version a while ago and it was a fine carb once tuned. I don't think you can go wrong with either carb. All things nearly equal I'd go with the Holley branded carb - you'll have an easier time finding local guys that know them and how to tune them as they're used for racing in nearly every class.

That said - since your ultimate goal is to do an EFI setup I would just rebuild your edelbrock carb - about $40 worth of parts and you'll be like new again (new floats, float needles, and a top gasket and base gasket) - pull the carb, clean it up real good, set the float levels and run it until you can afford an efi setup. There is nothing wrong with the edelbrock carb that you have once you get it back to running good and that's what I'd do instead of spending a bunch of cash on a carb you're only going to temporarily run. If you want electric choke I'm fairly certain that they sell an electronic choke conversion kit for it for about $50-60 - which might be worthwhile if you're going to run it for a year or so - even with that and the parts to refresh the carb you're under $100 for everything. I wouldn't go with a "tuned" carb from anyone if the thought is to get rid of it anytime in the near future as they cost more and depreciate a little faster than a std. holley carb (at least from what I've seen)

Just remember with a Holley you'll have to figure on getting the fuel lines / fittings to hook it all up so that will be a little bit of money in addition to the carb itself.
bwiencek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

I agree with the above. You mentioned you want something easy to tune. An Edelbrock carb is about as easy at it gets.

Order a rebuild kit, an electric choke and a calibration kit for your Edelbrock. Rebuild the carb, intall the electric choke and follow the instructions in the owner's manual to calibrate it. It's easy peasy and you'll be amazed at how well it runs. Once you get it dialed in, you might not even want to bother with the EFI.

I've looked at Quick Fuel and Pro Systems carbs. But it appears they don't offer a street carb with a choke. Or, did I just miss such a carb on their web sites? I plan on driving my '70 Mach 1 a lot and I don't want to have to pump the throttle to keep it running when it's cold. Otherwise, the Pro Systems carbs look great.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
I agree with the above. You mentioned you want something easy to tune. An Edelbrock carb is about as easy at it gets.
+1 on that.
Tune, rebuild, out of box performance, appearance..you can't go wrong with an edelbrock.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:46 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to 2manyhobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwk66 View Post
+1 on that.
Tune, rebuild, out of box performance, appearance..you can't go wrong with an edelbrock.
Appearance, mmmm not so much.
Modified Mustang & Ford article: ?/2014
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...thing-done.jpg
2 years of hard labor later
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/me...-place-day.jpg
2manyhobbies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #21 (permalink)

check out the factory rebuild Holleys , they are new carbs that were returned for warranty . Holley refurbs them back to specs and test them so it's like getting a new carb at a discount .
holley sells them on Ebay
Old 11-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #22 (permalink)

2manyhobbies's guy said he has a holley street avenger 670 w electric choke. He bought it as "new" and is going to give it a look over and he would sell it for $200-$225. This guy seemed to know his holley carbs.

- 4 speed Toploader
Old 11-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemstang66 View Post
check out the factory rebuild Holleys , they are new carbs that were returned for warranty . Holley refurbs them back to specs and test them so it's like getting a new carb at a discount .
holley sells them on Ebay
I actually read somewhere (Hold on now, here comes another internet rumor!) that these actually perform better than the new carbs built off shore since they have been gone through by Holley techs and not just assembled off the line.
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:00 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyhobbies View Post
Not the summit carb, its a copy of the newer top plate design that holley came out with and was pretty much abandoned.
Holley fans wouldn't buy the 4010, because it looked "weird". When Holley discontinued it, they eve destroyed the tooling. The Summit version is an upgraded design by the same designer. I had Holley on my driver for 15 years, and I have since used the Summit a couple times. For me, the Summit is clearly superior. One-piece base and bowl assembly, like the Autolite 4100, annular discharge rings for improved performance and fuel economy, again like the 4100, and uses standard Holley tuning hardware, which neither of the carbs I used required. It also costs less. Not ugly, either-

Old 11-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav65mus View Post
I have been running many different types of carbs for the last 30 years. I have become a big fan of the annular booster carbs from quickfuel. (they are an upscale holley type carb) The annular boosters which were what was in the autolite 4100, are also in the summit carbs, and some demon carbs work very well at taming the rich idle produced by lopey low vacuum performance cams. The annular boosters atomize the fuel better with a lower vacuum signal and on my motors produce a much crisper throttle response than any edelbrock, carter, or downleg booster standard type holley ever produced even when tuned perfectly with an afr meter attached.

You pay a little more for a good quickfuel annular ( about $550 for an ss model) but as you come to find out over the years in performance equipment you usually get what you pay for.

After having an annular booster carb, you won't want to run a down leg booster on the street. They just work so well! The 4100, or the Summit will be a great street carb as well as the Edelbrock. Id just get a electric choke kit, a rebuild kit and a calibration kit and the E will be a great running carb too.

I'm not knocking Holley carbs, just that there are other choices just as good if not better.

Rehab is for quiters!

Huskinhano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:16 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsGT View Post
I actually read somewhere (Hold on now, here comes another internet rumor!) that these actually perform better than the new carbs built off shore since they have been gone through by Holley techs and not just assembled off the line.
There are some on eBay for $245 obo.

- 4 speed Toploader
Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph65k View Post
Glad to hear your 347 is running well. If you recall, I also recently got my 331 from Blueprint. So far so good, will be continuing some tweaks and upgrades. Tuning, transmission, rear end gearing, etc.

I'm running a Demon, Speed Demon 575, manual sec, no choke. Had it on my 289 Hi Po and now on my 331. I switched from a Holley and like the Demon a lot better. Plus as Hobbies mentioned, it is a nice looking carb to boot.

Can't comment on whether it's easier or harder to tune than others. Seemed like my Holley was a pain, but it probably needed a rebuild.
Glad to hear you like your engine! I have about 1,200 miles on mine now. Your car was on their page....looks great!

I like the look of the new Demon carb...kind of different. The demon and holley carbs are very comparable in price. I think I'm going to try that street avenger that 2manyhobbies guy recommended. Save a little money and it sounds like its still new or will be like new when he goes through it.

- 4 speed Toploader
Old 11-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66FSTBCK View Post
Glad to hear you like your engine! I have about 1,200 miles on mine now. Your car was on their page....looks great!

I like the look of the new Demon carb...kind of different. The demon and holley carbs are very comparable in price. I think I'm going to try that street avenger that 2manyhobbies guy recommended. Save a little money and it sounds like its still new or will be like new when he goes through it.

The engine is doing good, I'm around 700 miles I think. At times the lifter noise seems a bit more than I was expecting, but might be partly due to a small exhaust leak. Trying to track it down but not finding any obvious signs. How is your lifter noise?

I didn't see it on their site, where is it? I had emailed Andrew and just happened to attach a couple of photos for him, wasn't really thinking about them posting on the site.

I do like the way the Demon looks. 575 seems to be ok for now, but may prove to be a little small, not sure yet. I am at altitude (live at 7000 ft) and I've read that the Demons cfm rating is a little lower than a comparable Holley. I find it to be easy to tune, once you know a couple of things of course. But if you're targeting EFI soon, no sense spending too much.
mph65k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph65k View Post
The engine is doing good, I'm around 700 miles I think. At times the lifter noise seems a bit more than I was expecting, but might be partly due to a small exhaust leak. Trying to track it down but not finding any obvious signs. How is your lifter noise?

I didn't see it on their site, where is it? I had emailed Andrew and just happened to attach a couple of photos for him, wasn't really thinking about them posting on the site.

I do like the way the Demon looks. 575 seems to be ok for now, but may prove to be a little small, not sure yet. I am at altitude (live at 7000 ft) and I've read that the Demons cfm rating is a little lower than a comparable Holley. I find it to be easy to tune, once you know a couple of things of course. But if you're targeting EFI soon, no sense spending too much.
Mine is a bit noisy too, but not bad. If you click on my video link you can hear it when the camera is on the engine. Everyone I have talked to said that it's normal so I'm not concerned about it. You bought the roller engine?

I guess I saw it on their facebook page. Looks nice though!!

- 4 speed Toploader
Old 11-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66FSTBCK View Post
Mine is a bit noisy too, but not bad. If you click on my video link you can hear it when the camera is on the engine. Everyone I have talked to said that it's normal so I'm not concerned about it. You bought the roller engine?

I guess I saw it on their facebook page. Looks nice though!!
Good to know on the lifter noise. Mine is quieting down a little, might try some different header/exhaust gaskets next spring. Yes, it's a roller engine. I guess I was expecting it to actually have less noise than my solid lifter 289 Hi Po engine. I did finally click on their facebook page and saw it.
mph65k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.