1967 coupe - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

Tongue 1967 coupe

I am in the process of buying my first Mustang. My wife finally broke down and told me I am a better person when I have a hobby. It's a 67 coupe and it needs some work, exactly what I wanted. I couldn't be happier! It needs enough work and I want to try to catch all the cancer(haha) so I'll have the car mostly torn down over the course of the next few years. That being said I need some advice, would you guys replace all the wiring while the car is in pieces or wait till its done and then go back and replace what I need.

I would think I should bite the bullet and replace all the wiring so I know its good with no shorts as long as I already have the car apart. but complete wiring harnesses are expensive and this restoration will be a buy what I can when I can.
Magna83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

You will find that most Mustangers have a favorite year. I'll bet yours is 67. Mine too. It's OK not to get things done, so, do go to all the birthday parties, the dance recitals, and everything else that pops up. It will get done some day. Keep your eyes on the prize - a finished Mustang. Better to take your time and get it right so there isn't any "I wish I would haves......"
Wiring: There is a fellow here on this forum named Midlife. He rebuilds.refurbishes Mustang wiring harnesses. Look him up.
67 GT 350 (#0036)("Miss July" 2004) owned since 1971. And I still drive it...SAAC 29 Concours GOLD, Div II, MCA Concours Trailered Gold 2X,
Also: 67 GTA S code COUPE (under construction)
General Shelby and Mustang enthusiast, MCA certified Concours judge
Roddster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the suggestion and the reassurance it will get done. I have atleast 3 years unless I win the lotto or a wealthy unknown family member dies and leaves me $.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #4 (permalink)

I just ran across a photo from 2005 of my '66 in partial disassembly. It's now 2012 and it's in "full" disassembly. Stuff comes up and sometimes you have to move non-essential projects to the back burner. I still have hopes to complete it in time for the 50th Anniversary (Mustang, not mine )

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would only order stuff for what you will be working on next month. As I went along, I changed some things and ended up with some stuff I bought but cant use. Also, I found out I had a bad switch or a missing something and it was almost a year later so I couldn't return it.

NPD ships so fast, you can order today for next week. Sometimes even the weekend.

I would wait till I had all the rust replaced and engine and everything else sorted before worrying too much about wiring.

-Dan
88cougargt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

bartl-I am 27 and this being my first resto I will be amazing if I have it done by MY 50th.

88- Thanks for the suggestion. What is NDP? My biggest concern is having to go back through once I have the motor and everything done to replace wires that I can't get to. I am a bigger guy and space is usually at a premium.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

NPD - National Parts Depot

They are one of the preferred vendors for buying parts. CJ Pony
Parts and Glazier/Nolan Mustang Barn are my two preferred vendors but all 3 are pretty good.
www.jobslick.com or http://www.facebook.com/JobSlick

Last edited by 69SlowResto; 11-12-2012 at 10:19 AM.
69SlowResto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Most of the wiring is no big deal. The only really "tough" area is the underdash harness. I'm no small guy either and removing the driver's seat and tossing some cushions in goes a long way toward comfort.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hey, welcome to the club. I turned 29 in October.

I guess what I meant was, know what type of engine you are going to run. 289, efi 302..etc. The dang thing will run you quite a bit of cash (at least mine did) and so buying the immediate needs was important to me (I limited myself to a monthly budget).

It took me about 3 years to get my car back on the road. Not a full resto though.

The wiring would be the easiest after your metalwork is done and before you install your pedal cluster or dash vents. Also grill-work and interior would need to be out to make it easier. Having the engine in the car did not pose any real problems for me.

Also, there will be something I like to call "The Project Doldrums". This is where the car seems so far from ever being finished that you feel like you want to give in and just sell the lot. To overcome this, I made a HUGE list of everything that needed to be done. Every nitnoid thing that I could think of. It's a huge mental bump as you tick things off and can see progress being made.

Here is mine if you are interested:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0lBV3VtYUItd0E

It's a little out of date. I found out my heads were shot and had to pull the engine. I've been swapping in a latemodel 302 roller for the past couple months.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

I bought a running car that looked OK and needed nothing major done right away except for tightening up mirrors and such. Well, I get it home and find a accel pump leaking on the 2V carb. I decide to go ahead and swap out the intake and carb for a 4V, because I'd planned on it anyway. With this, I find a non standard dist, old hoses that need replaced, wiring from McGuyver and, well, I can't have crappy looking valve covers with a shiny new intake and carb can I?

So while the parts are coming together for that, I decide I really need to get a look under the vinyl top to make sure I didn't buy a car with a soon-to-be sun roof. To get it off, I had to remove quarter trim....which requires the inside side panels to come off, which requires the rear seat removed...

Got the top off, cleaned it up and figure I could drive it with just primer on the top for awhile. But I don't want to put the rear seat all back together if it will just have to come out later...and while it's out, may as well do the carpet.

I don't know how it happened but my nice decent driver is all in pieces in my shop!
Old 11-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChief View Post
I bought a running car that looked OK and needed nothing major done right away except for tightening up mirrors and such. Well, I get it home and find a accel pump leaking on the 2V carb. I decide to go ahead and swap out the intake and carb for a 4V, because I'd planned on it anyway. With this, I find a non standard dist, old hoses that need replaced, wiring from McGuyver and, well, I can't have crappy looking valve covers with a shiny new intake and carb can I?

So while the parts are coming together for that, I decide I really need to get a look under the vinyl top to make sure I didn't buy a car with a soon-to-be sun roof. To get it off, I had to remove quarter trim....which requires the inside side panels to come off, which requires the rear seat removed...

Got the top off, cleaned it up and figure I could drive it with just primer on the top for awhile. But I don't want to put the rear seat all back together if it will just have to come out later...and while it's out, may as well do the carpet.

I don't know how it happened but my nice decent driver is all in pieces in my shop!
I'm planning on "sprucing up" my engine bay with some fresh parts and paint. I really hope my project doesn't turn out like yours!

1968 Coupe - Original Sprint B, J-Code Car
quik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChief View Post

Funny how that happens... after a few goes at it you will be surprised how fast you can get the interior out and in again.

68 coupe with a 351W
Mods: a lot... just ask if you're interested
07 gt
99 Gixxer 750 (When four wheels are too many)
Franks68coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

This is a well documented medical condition. Often triggered by the smell of gasoline and grease.

Whileimatitus - Starts out as replacing a headlight and ends with a complete restoration. Causes feelings of nostalgia, Nausea, Upset stomach, empty wallet, and can persist for years. Usually until the project completes or the wife leaves. In the case of the latter, the patient often adjusts to his new lifestyle of living in the garage and can live a somewhat normal life.

Often secondary infections set in including:
Toomanyprojectivits - Symptoms include baggies of nuts+bolts with no labels. Buying the same part more than once because you forgot you purchased it the first time.
Craigslist finger - Aches in the pointer and middle finger often associated with browsing the "for sale by owner" or "car parts" section of CL.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM   #14 (permalink)

Wow, can I ever empathize with everyone. Bought my '67 coupe in May 2012 drove it home and into my garage and it has been in there ever since. Ran out of gas getting it home (gage wiring issue). Defroster didn't work (plenum gone). While working on the defroster and gas gage I saw the condition of the wiring. YIKES! A rats nest. Forty-five year old wiring had been chopped in to, spliced and the insulation was hardened and falling off. Ripped out all the wiring and installed an AAW harnes from front to back. That allowed me to run brighter lights, electric fan, third brake light, and so on. Ripped out the interior (except for headliner). Cleaned the floor pans and brushed on a good coat of Bill Hirsch magic paint. Dropped in a new gas tank and tank armor. Added steel behind the rear seat, a new steering wheel, etc. She is almost ready to drive again. Still want to overhaul the 289 and the T10 four speed. Rack and pinion and rear disc brakes are also on the menu in the future. Whew! The list keeps going.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've been in the same boat for years, bought mine when I was 18. Drove it for a few years, got a better job and decided to build the car I wanted... I'm now about to turn 40, have a family, and the mustang is still waiting for re-assembly. In the process, I've put it up for sale multiple times, spent WAY more money then the car was worth, and I still enjoy the occasional bit of time I get to spend working on it. I just like to think about all of the people who wish they still had the car they were driving way back when.

Good luck on your project, but most of all enjoy it!
iamdiffrnt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.