Headers - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Headers

Does anyone know of a header that will fit on my 66 289 coupe? I bought some Patriot shorty's but not enough clearance to the shock towers. I have aluminum heads but they measure the same as stock. Any help on this topic is much appreciated. Thanks, Rocky K
rapidroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

I used Patriot long tube on my '66 w/289&C4. Just dropped in, no hassle. Be advised I have stock steering & suspension.
rayhicks1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I used Sanderson shorties. No clearance problems at all. I have a 66, 302, AOD, Borgeson power steering.
Hwyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I don't have the measurements handy, but you may want to measure the engine bay to make sure you don't have any shock tower sag (leaning inwards). Do you have a Monte Carlo bar installed? If not, that may help get you a little extra clearance and stiffen the front up at the same time.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rocky:

Not sure exactly what you're looking for but once clearance issues are defined, I have a near-new set of Patriot Tri-Ys (
H8426-1 Mustang Pertronix Tri-Y Headers Ceramic Coated 260/289/302 1965-1970 | CJ Pony Parts) which were just taken off of my '66 vert. PM if interested...

Mods: Arning/Shelby drop; progressive-rate front & 4.5 leaf mid-eye rear springs; 1" sway bar; Monte Carlo bar/export brace; Hedman shorties w/ 2.25" dual exhaust, Flowmaster S40; PerTronix Ignitor II; Cobra hi-rise intake & Holley 4V 600-cfm carb; AOD tras; 3.55:1 final gearing
SoCo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

I used Hedman #88306 Long tubes with a T5 and cable clutch with shelby drop. No issues with clearance except speed bumps! I do have all the standard stiffening items, tho'.

Steve

64 1/2 D code 5 speed Coupe
07 GT 5 speed Vert

Plus 9 more that I no longer own!
Smitten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

I used those cheap stainless tri-y headers from Ebay. They work perfectly and I paid around $170 shipped.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

In my experience, the Hooker Competition series (not the Super Competition series) fit very well. And they are reasonably priced.

If you have power steering, you'll have to replace the bracket where the hydraulic cylinder attaches to the frame rail. The replacement bracket lowers the cylinder on one end which allows it to clear the header on one side. It's an easy, three-bolt install.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had Flowtech's ceramic and uncoated long tubes in my 66. Both fit exceptionally well considering the cost (cheap). I'm currently running Doug's long tubes and the fit is even better but the price new ($700) is a hard pill to swallow. I found mine on Craigslist in Miami for $225 to my door from a private seller. I'll pay that any day....
I would definitely take 66resto's advice and try to find and compare tower measurements to make sure yours aren't leaning in too far. Every 66 I've owned (4), I've had to use a porta-power on the towers spread them out to fit a one piece export brace...

Last edited by tweet66; 11-13-2012 at 04:51 PM.
tweet66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.