65 spindle question - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 65 spindle question

Upgrading 65 coupe I6 to V8- I have 69 v8 drum spindles, as well as the 6 cyl drum spindles- Will these work or is the geometry wrong? I have read soooo much about conversions I am now confused- It looks like they work for other yrs but not for 64-66- but IDK.

Oh- my goal is pwr disc front/drum rear (might go disc in rear but not required)
dzahm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzahm View Post
Upgrading 65 coupe I6 to V8- I have 69 v8 drum spindles, as well as the 6 cyl drum spindles- Will these work or is the geometry wrong? I have read soooo much about conversions I am now confused- It looks like they work for other yrs but not for 64-66- but IDK.

Oh- my goal is pwr disc front/drum rear (might go disc in rear but not required)
The 69 V8 spindle will mount up fine and the suspension geometry will be fine, but the steering arm geometry will be off somewhat. The steering geometry may or may not be a problem depending on what else is done the the front end. It is our experience that using a 67+ spindle on a 65-66 along with WIDE tires and wheels and/or the Shelby drop, or cut springs is a recipe for "bumpsteer" (the tendency for to have steering input in respond to suspension travel).

I'd recommend using model 65-66 correct spindles. If you chose to upgrade to V8 spindles, you must also upgrade the steering linkage to V8 spec.

More for less
degins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I was aware of the need to change all components. I am planning the drop, and of course wide wheels and tires. I don't want bumpsteer, so I am avoiding granada stuff, but didn't want to buy if I didn't need it. So I will get some 64-66 spindles- anyone know what part # I need (I am assuming I will find spindles already removed thusly will want to verify they really are 64-66 V8 spindles prior to purchase)
dzahm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Yeah I was aware of the need to change all components. I am planning the drop, and of course wide wheels and tires. I don't want bumpsteer, so I am avoiding granada stuff, but didn't want to buy if I didn't need it. So I will get some 64-66 spindles- anyone know what part # I need (I am assuming I will find spindles already removed thusly will want to verify they really are 64-66 V8 spindles prior to purchase)
C5DA Spindles are 65 66 V8.

Left 3108--Right 3107.

I think I have several coming in tomorrow??

Dan @ Chockostang
CHOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Chock, where are you in Illinois? I will be heading up to Chicago in December for Christmas. May save a few bucks on shipping and drop my steering box off.
2007 Premium MustangCoupe (V6).. Please don't shun me

Done
Replace Full floor pan
Replace Firewall
Replace Full cowl
Replace Radiator support
Shelby Drop done
Front disc brakes on

Up next:

4 wheel drum to disc conversion, rebuild front suspension/steering, taillight panel, trunk floor,302 and AOD upgrade, wiring harnesses back in, and hopefully only patch panels on the quarters

E=MChuck Norris
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle View Post
Chock, where are you in Illinois? I will be heading up to Chicago in December for Christmas. May save a few bucks on shipping and drop my steering box off.
West Central Ill.

You sure are welcome to drop in.

Dan
Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
The Granada spindles in and of themselves do not cause a bumpsteer problem in these swaps. It has more to due with someone doing a improper installation / adjustment. Usually it's someone trying to cut corners to save an extra buck and not using all of the right parts.
I've done the Granada swap on both of my 65's and like you one was a I6 to V8 conversion. Both operate flawlessly with no problems.
mxg30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you use the 69 drum spindles all you have to do to compensate for the bump steer is use a set of baer tracker tie rod ends or bumpsteer correction kit from pro motorsport(dr gas) I believe.
14CHARLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 02:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
69 Mustang spindles have the same geometry as Granada spindles.

CSRP now offers new 65-66 type spindles.

More for less
degins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14CHARLI View Post
If you use the 69 drum spindles all you have to do to compensate for the bump steer is use a set of baer tracker tie rod ends or bumpsteer correction kit from pro motorsport(dr gas) I believe.
Exactly right!

The 69 Drum Spindle is a C6OA Spindle. This was used first on the 66 Fairlane V8 Cars, then on all 67 Mustangs, Fairlanes, Comet, Cougar, etc, then on ALL Drum brake 68 69's--All Drum Brake 6 cylinder, and V8.

As You stated, if proper alignment, parts are used, these are excellent spindles to use in the 65 66 conversion, are FoMoCo parts, use the Mustang Tie Rods, Fit the Mustang wheels, Fit the Bigger rotor, etc.

Bolt on the K/H 4 Piston per caliper Disc Brakes, you got Big Brakes, and are Mustang, Fairlane style.

Much better selection than jumping through all the hoops fitting the Granada brakes.

Dan @ Chockostang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.