66 Fastback A code - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 66 Fastback A code

Hi everyone,

I fell head over heels for this 66 Fastback that I got for my wife; both were born in the same year. I fell head over heels for her, too! Due to work related injuries, she can't drive the Fastback without power steering or brakes yet alone operate the 4-speed.
This Fastback was driven hard and put away wet. Scale 0-5, it's a 3 some of the body panels are a bit lumpy otherwise it'd be a number 2 car. Lots of new parts, lots of sheetmetal replaced, VIN no longer exist, etc. So, I'm tempted to replace the '68 302 and the 4-speed for 86-93 5.0 and AOD, add power steering and power disc brakes. 4 wheel drum brakes, single master cylinder at the moment. Power disc brakes is a no brainer. But, I think it would be a shame to convert a 4-speed to automatic. I mean... not like this is numbers matching car; however, wouldn't be easier to find V8 automatic instead of converting a 4-speed to AOD.

What do you think? Should I shop around and find somebody that would want to trade my 4-speed car for their automatic? What are the chances of finding a like similar condition Fastback... or why bother since I can't prove it anything without the VIN. All I got is the door tag, which has the correct VIN or warranty number, A code. BTW, is it possilbe to restore the VIN numbers in the inner fender & core support?

Thanks,
John

San Francisco
'66 Fastback
'67 Ranchero
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0080.jpg (94.1 KB, 145 views)
jahearne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Member

convert it to an auto and save the 4 speed trans and parts. its all bolt in and can easily be converted back. btw, nice lookin mustang.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahearne View Post
Hi everyone,

Lots of new parts, lots of sheetmetal replaced, VIN no longer exist, etc.

'67 Ranchero
?, If your missing all three VINs on the fender aprons you killed the value for resale. Don't try and sell this to some unsuspecting buyer. Find the parts you need to get her back in the car. However your throwing money into something that will always be an issue when it's time to go.

Is the picture you posted really old? Car doesn't look THAT bad.

Last edited by 66 6; 11-16-2012 at 07:37 AM.
66 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Are all 3 VIN stampings missing? Hardly legal to sell a car without a VIN these days. Looks like it's time for a state issued VIN since the door tag is NOT a legal VIN.
Look into the Borgeson system.
Borgeson Universal Company :: Ford Mustang 1965-04 :: 1965-1970 Mustang Power Steering Conversion Kits :: Mustang P/S Kit, 1965-1966 289/302/351W Manual Steering

Kevin Marti at one time was providing replacement panels with the VIN stamping done correctly, but he required pencil rubbing of the original damaged part and photos of the damaged area before he would do this, for obvious reasons. Not sure if he still does this, but in your situation, I think you are SOL getting him to stamp new ones for you. Have you pulled the passenger fender to see if the other two stampings are there?
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifter2 View Post
convert it to an auto and save the 4 speed trans and parts. its all bolt in and can easily be converted back. btw, nice lookin mustang.
+1 go for it. You'll get better gas mileage too.
tom991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would add a C4 and PB, save the parts. Hopefully you have one of the VINs that will prevent you from having to do a lot of work.
GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies. I was the unspecting buyer. I bought it that way with the sheetmetal already replaced and didn't think anything of it till now because a 4-speed car adds 10% to the value according to KBB and now we need an automatic. The car looks great from 10 feet away and that's a recent picture. We've had the car less than a year. It has WA state VIN number that's riveted to the door post. I'll pull the passenger fender to see if the numbers are still there. If no VINs then I can't prove the car's pedigree, so I might as well convert her over so my wife can enjoy it a daily driver. Yup, it's all bolt-in, save the original parts and we're good to go.

This is my first Mustang. I've had Fairlane based Rancheros & Comets most my life, 1966-up. No stranger to Fords and very very familiar with the small block six cylinders as my last two Rancheros had a tri-powered six and now a two barrel converted six; one with a T-5 and now AOD.

Thanks again for the replies & compliments! Take care and we'll see you around,

John
Old 11-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

convert it to the 4r70w and never look back...
gremlinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

I swapped an auto trans into my 4-speed car when I was living in the city.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

I bit the bullit and purchased a wrecked 1992 Notchback for its 5.0, AOD and related parts. Got an automatic console, Mustang Steve is building the power brake booster, Borgenson power steering kit just arrived and AOD conversion parts are on the way...

'66 Fastback
'67 Ranchero

Old 12-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
If no VINs then I can't prove the car's pedigree, so I might as well convert her over so my wife can enjoy it a daily driver. Yup, it's all bolt-in, save the original parts and we're good to go.
Well, the VIN does not reveal the transmission type, so it really makes no difference. Ford destroyed the 64-66 Mustang records in 1979, so there's no way to research it, either.

As for the VIN, check for the ones under the fenders. If you can authenticate the VIN, have the visible VIN replaced.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22GT View Post
Well, the VIN does not reveal the transmission type, so it really makes no difference. Ford destroyed the 64-66 Mustang records in 1979, so there's no way to research it, either.

As for the VIN, check for the ones under the fenders. If you can authenticate the VIN, have the visible VIN replaced.
...But the data plate on the driver's door indicates the transmission type. Mine originally came with a C4 toploader, but had a C4 when I bought it. I'm putting a T5 in eventually, already have all the parts, and with the original looking type shifter nobody will be the wiser.
tom991 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I was the unspecting buyer. I bought it that way with the sheetmetal already replaced and didn't think anything of it till now because a 4-speed car adds 10% to the value according to KBB and now we need an automatic. The car looks great from 10 feet away and that's a recent picture. We've had the car less than a year. It has WA state VIN number that's riveted to the door post. I'll pull the passenger fender to see if the numbers are still there. If no VINs then I can't prove the car's pedigree, so I might as well convert her over so my wife can enjoy it a daily driver. Yup, it's all bolt-in, save the original parts and we're good to go.

This is my first Mustang. I've had Fairlane based Rancheros & Comets most my life, 1966-up. No stranger to Fords and very very familiar with the small block six cylinders as my last two Rancheros had a tri-powered six and now a two barrel converted six; one with a T-5 and now AOD.

Thanks again for the replies & compliments! Take care and we'll see you around,

John
The Washington State VIN is the legal VIN on that car. As far as staying true to the the factory original equipment, most cars on this forum are modified in some way or another so build it the way you want and enjoy it. Don't worry about the next guy.

*67 Vintage Burgundy 390GTA with most of the bells and whistles*
JeffTepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Did he say if he looked for all three vins? I bought a coupe a few months back and the guy had gone through all the trouble of getting a state vin on his car because he replaced the front inner apron. When I got the car I pulled both fenders and found the original vins on both sides.
Stevea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

Fix it up for your wife! Let's say hypothetically it loses $0.25 in value, so what?

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.