carb question - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default carb question

I got my hands on a holley carb #list-4452-1-3411 I know its a factory ford carb it came off a 67 ford with a 390. Its a 600cfm I am wanting to put it on my 67 mustang with a 302. Is this a good carb? it looks better then the edelbrock 1406 I currently have on it. my question is if this is a better carb?
silversol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to My427stang

Ford actually used the 4452-1 as a replacement carb on anything from 302-429 in 1968.

It will work fine, if it doesn't, there is a setup or rebuild problem, it shouldn't need rejetting or any modification, these are pretty easy carbs to bolt on and go

As far as better, it should make a little more power at the peaks, but on a 302 it won't be significant. Edelbrocks are pretty responsive down low, so it really depends on how you drive it and how the Edelbrock is tuned

I doubt the 4452 will have electric choke though, unless it was modified, so if that is a concern, I'd probably leave yours alone if its running good.

The benefit of the 4452 is that it will look more factory stock, and lots of Holley guys out there to help tune, but I wouldn't expect anything drastic.

If you are looking for power, consider a recurve of the distributor if you havent done it. Stock Ford distributors have too slow of an advance and a secondary issue of too much once it comes in. A performance recurve really helps drivability
13 Ram 2500 Laramie Quad Cab 6.7 diesel

Last edited by My427stang; 11-17-2012 at 11:06 AM.
My427stang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of making more power. Im looking more from a drive ability stand point it does have a automatic choke on it. The distributer has been up graded to a msd one.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds good, those did have an automatic choke, but I was asking if it had electric choke. From the factory it used a hot air tube that took air from the exhaust manifold. If it hasn't been converted to electric choke, you'll need that hot air tube setup, more difficult if you run headers.

I would guess the Edelbrock has a fully electric choke, which is very different

How did you set up the ignition curve on the MSD? They also deliver very slow advance. Having it set at 14 initial, 22 degree bushing to have it all in by 2600 will make it feel like it added a cylinder
Old 11-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by My427stang View Post
Sounds good, those did have an automatic choke, but I was asking if it had electric choke. From the factory it used a hot air tube that took air from the exhaust manifold. If it hasn't been converted to electric choke, you'll need that hot air tube setup, more difficult if you run headers.

I would guess the Edelbrock has a fully electric choke, which is very different

How did you set up the ignition curve on the MSD? They also deliver very slow advance. Having it set at 14 initial, 22 degree bushing to have it all in by 2600 will make it feel like it added a cylinder
Damn you're right about the choke! To be honest i just dropped the distributer in and didnt touch it. Where can i find a 22 degree bushing for it?
Old 11-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

It should have came with a bushing kit. If not, get an advance curve kit for it and set it up for all in by 2600 or so. Depending on your initial, you could run a 20-24 degree bushing out of the kit, and make up the rest with initial timing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.