back up lights - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default back up lights

Here's a new one for me. On the '66 coupe I recently acquired, the backup lights come on whenever the ignition is on. Some previous owner has gotten some wire crossed. Anybody have a cure? Thanks..
GTCS42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Have you checked to see if the backup light switch is shorted? It is 'NO" (Normally open) meaning that you will not have continuity across the terminals when it is in the OFF position. If that's working okay then check the wires to and from the switch to see if they are bare and touching anywhere.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is it a manual or automatic?
Old 11-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

Make sure the po didnt put a toggle switch somewhere to run the lights, and someone may have bumped or left on. I have seen it happen.

Kevin
1965 Fastback-Scat 331, Dart heads, FPA headers, Air Gap intake, 650 Ultra DP, Cobra pan, Lunati VooDoo cam 61003, C-4, 10 inch converter, Reverse manual valve body,Detroit Truetracw/3.50s, subframe connectors.
1968 S-code Torino Fastback= project
1966 A-code Mustang coupe=Basket case not sure what to do with it used some parts for the fastback.
65since88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

Should've mentioned it's a C4 auto with a 289.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default follow up

I finally got around to unplugging both sets of plugs...one for the neutral safety switch, the other for the backup lights....and STILL the backup lights stay on when the ignition is on. Thoughts about troubleshooting this?
Old 12-11-2012, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

The 1966 wiring diagram shows a black / red tracer wire traveling from the fuse box to the back up lamp switch on the transmission selector shift shaft. Since the backup lamps illuminate even with the wiring disconnected at the backup lamp switch on the transmission, trace this black / red wire to the backup lamps and determine if there is a splice with an added wire.
acarl1018 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Pull the fuses one at a time until you find the cricuit that is providing power to the lights. That's the first step. Once you find the circuit at fault, you will probably have to do a "hand-over-hand" inspection of the entire wiring harness to find out where the problem is. I would start at the backup lights and work my way forward. When tracing the wiring, I would keep a close eye out for any splices or those crappy Scotch-lock wire taps that people use when trying to wire up a radio - most of the time those end up being the problem. A previous owner may have tapped into that wire thinking that it was a good power supply and then ended up back-feeding it from another circuit that has power when the key is on.

The wiring in my car was so butchered that I ended up throwing it all out. Before I bought the car, a friend of mine owned it. If the headlights were on and you turned the ignition off, the car would stay running until you turned the headlights off. The wiring was spliced and respliced so many times that it was barely recognizable.
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdd2caa40.jpg
Greg'66 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

No wonder the previous owner's "solution" was to unplug both lights at the trunk connection!!
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

I would work back from the light and see where it goes. If you disconnect the switch and it is still on, it is shorted to something else.
GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.