Stroking a 289 to 331 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stroking a 289 to 331

I recently burnt up a piston in mine and I had it bored .030 over I was thinking would it be a bad idea to throw a 331 kit in it I plan on buying some afr 185s as well. I already have hooker longtube super competitions headers, rpm air gap intake, and 650 holley. Is the there any truth in the talk of cylinder wall length being a problem. And any good ideas on a custom cam manufacturer!?! I know a custom cam will be the diffrence on this motor.
Hookedup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

The headers are tuned as well there actually really nice. And it's a 68 mustang coupe, c4 with shift kit and 2500 "area" hughes stall. Stock rear with new 3.50 gear!
Old 11-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

No, there is no truth to the rumor nor will a 3.25" stroke cause you any problems. When you have your kit picked out and know what pistons and heads you will be running, contact your cam grinder and give them the specs and tell them what you want the car to do and they will pick the best grind. Once you have the cam's specs, you can pick out the best valvetrain components (springs, locks, rockers, etc.), to work with that particular cams profile.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

If you are going to stroke it i would go with the 347. I own both a 331 and 347 and there really is no reason to leave out the extra 16 cubes. I would stay with the Scat kit with a cast crank and I beam rods for your application and Forged flat top pistons. i have AFR 185 heads on both engines and they make very good power.
cmefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's what I figured I've actually been told by reputable people that the 289 blocks were a little stronger
Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bump
Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookedup12 View Post
I recently burnt up a piston in mine and I had it bored .030 over I was thinking would it be a bad idea to throw a 331 kit in it I plan on buying some afr 185s as well. I already have hooker longtube super competitions headers, rpm air gap intake, and 650 holley. Is the there any truth in the talk of cylinder wall length being a problem. And any good ideas on a custom cam manufacturer!?! I know a custom cam will be the diffrence on this motor.
On your custom cam look into FTI - Flow Tech Induction
cmefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ill check them out my engine builder contacted me today to tell me we would start after thanksgiving so ill be thinkin between now and then on what to go with
Old 11-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
LSG

Tongue 289-331

Hooked, yes, by all means build up a 331. A 347 is also just fine, but may cost you some more. The block will be just fine. If you're really stretching a budget, you can buy a 3.25 stroke crank that has 2.123 rod journals and reuse the 289 rods. You'll want to look at pistons with something like a 1.425ish pin height.....which is what lots of custom pistons have, its a normal height if one builds an orange 383. Custom pistons like this will have .927 pins, so you'll have to hone out the .913 289 rods. Cut the piston notches where you want them and re-balance the assembly and you have a nice 331, really cheap.

The factory heads will be just fine IF you re-valve them with 1.94 and 1.6 valves, and you should put hard seats under the exhausts. There is nothing wrong with aluminum heads, but its money you don't have to spend if you don't want to. LSG
LSG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSG View Post
Hooked, yes, by all means build up a 331. A 347 is also just fine, but may cost you some more. The block will be just fine. If you're really stretching a budget, you can buy a 3.25 stroke crank that has 2.123 rod journals and reuse the 289 rods. You'll want to look at pistons with something like a 1.425ish pin height.....which is what lots of custom pistons have, its a normal height if one builds an orange 383. Custom pistons like this will have .927 pins, so you'll have to hone out the .913 289 rods. Cut the piston notches where you want them and re-balance the assembly and you have a nice 331, really cheap.

The factory heads will be just fine IF you re-valve them with 1.94 and 1.6 valves, and you should put hard seats under the exhausts. There is nothing wrong with aluminum heads, but its money you don't have to spend if you don't want to. LSG
Sound advice.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmefly View Post
If you are going to stroke it i would go with the 347. I own both a 331 and 347 and there really is no reason to leave out the extra 16 cubes. I would stay with the Scat kit with a cast crank and I beam rods for your application and Forged flat top pistons. i have AFR 185 heads on both engines and they make very good power.
Sound advice as well.

68 J code sprint, 408W
11.59@ 120.95mph in street trim.
frdnut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.