Boiled over - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Howsa289
Default Boiled over

So when I bought my 65 the engine in it had an over heating issue. New Tstat. Flushed the system 100 times. New head gaskets. New water pump, remember this part. So gave up and bought a replacement 289 which is te mosquito killer some of you got the pleasure I experiencing at the Shelby autobahn show. That engine I just recently pulled to rebuild sometime in the future replacing it with a 70 302 from a friend of mine I took the timing cover and water pump off of the original 289 with the over heating issue and put it on the 302 so the timing pointer is on the driver side and the water inlets line up with my radiator. So, got the 302 running. Runs good, but I have all the same symptoms as the first 289 with the overheating So here are my engines

Engine number 1. 66 289 that came with the carand over heated. The timing cover and water pump are one size. Which is bigger than engine number 2. This timing cover is smooth on top. Aluminum water pump

Engine number 2. 65 289. The timing cover and water pump are smaller. Timing cover is ribbed on top. No over heating issues

Engine number 3. 70 302. I took the timing cover and water pump off engine number 1 and put on this motor for the reasons mentioned above. This motor over heats.

Is there a chance this water pump flows backwards? There has to be something stupid going on with this pump. I'll take the pump off and take a look at the veins. If I can't figure anything out I guess I'll transfer engine number 2's timing cover and pump to the 302. Which I'm reluctant to do since I just put all new gaskets and seals on the 302 but what good are they if the engine overheats right. I know this post is all over the place. Hopefully it isn't too confusing. Anyone have any ideas ?
Howsa289 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a 260 in a sunbeam Tiger that had some fierce overheating. I replaced everything except the pump and it would still overheat at speed on the hiway. Replaced the pump with a high flow pump from Edelbrock. Car now runs at 190 all the time. Perfect.
Pumps are cheap so replace it.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howsa289 View Post
So when I bought my 65 the engine in it had an over heating issue. New Tstat. Flushed the system 100 times. New head gaskets. New water pump, remember this part. So gave up and bought a replacement 289 which is te mosquito killer some of you got the pleasure I experiencing at the Shelby autobahn show. That engine I just recently pulled to rebuild sometime in the future replacing it with a 70 302 from a friend of mine I took the timing cover and water pump off of the original 289 with the over heating issue and put it on the 302 so the timing pointer is on the driver side and the water inlets line up with my radiator. So, got the 302 running. Runs good, but I have all the same symptoms as the first 289 with the overheating So here are my engines

Engine number 1. 66 289 that came with the carand over heated. The timing cover and water pump are one size. Which is bigger than engine number 2. This timing cover is smooth on top. Aluminum water pump

Engine number 2. 65 289. The timing cover and water pump are smaller. Timing cover is ribbed on top. No over heating issues

Engine number 3. 70 302. I took the timing cover and water pump off engine number 1 and put on this motor for the reasons mentioned above. This motor over heats.

Is there a chance this water pump flows backwards? There has to be something stupid going on with this pump. I'll take the pump off and take a look at the veins. If I can't figure anything out I guess I'll transfer engine number 2's timing cover and pump to the 302. Which I'm reluctant to do since I just put all new gaskets and seals on the 302 but what good are they if the engine overheats right. I know this post is all over the place. Hopefully it isn't too confusing. Anyone have any ideas ?
I heard someone tried octane booster, and it worked for them. No telling how much was shaved of the heads. Wanna see flow, remove the tstat and point the upper hose to the side. Do this with water only.
ivancaicedo237 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Does your water pump have or require a metal plate behind it? If it requires the plate, water may not be circulating properly.
65fstbpieces is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

Pictures and casting numbers?

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.