New guy with questions - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New guy with questions

Hi everyone. So a few months back i decided to bite the bullet and finally buy my dream car. A 1965 mustang fastback. When i got it home i took it apart and have been slowly buying parts for it. It is currently at the body shop getting some body work and paint. i still haven't decided what color. But i am thinking either some shade of blue with the shelby stripes or gun metal grey. it was originally paint code 5.
When i get it back from the shop i plan on redoing the brakes and suspension, both front and rear. i got global west upper control arms. and am thinking of using roller spring perches. It has no ac or power steering.
As for the motor i only know what i was told but the info i got was its a rebuilt hipo 302. with a top loader 4 speed with a lakewood scatter shield. the engine has a crane cam 605 lift with a 294 duration. 13:1 compression ratio .30 over and with aluminum flat top racing pistons. it also had a deep sump oil pan i guess to hold more oil.
What can you tell me about the motor? i plan to get headers and exhaust when i get it back any suggestion. long or short headers. i guess for fitment issues.?
thanks in advance for any help.
lizardking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 04:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

Just speculation on my part, but the power plant doesn't sound very streetable. Way too much lift, way too much compression (can't get my mind around 13/1 with flat tops. Heads and/or block must be milled out the wazoo, and valve eyebrows cut in pistons must be really deep. Not a criticism, just a way of suggesting that you verify cam specs and possibly compression before you make any decisions. Just by way of a bit of info, if the motor was represented as a HiPo 302, I don't believe they ever produced such an animal. Overall, the car sounds pretty awesome.
Best,
Al
Al Newman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you run it as is definitely need the long tube headers. Will be a beast on the street though... And you will not be running pump gas with that compression.
65289vert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Someone either lied to you or didn't have a clue about that motor. I have pop ups in my 5.0 with Twisted Wedge heads and I'm only at 10:1. If that really is the cam, that sounds too radical to put on a street car. Not only long tubes, but a 4:56 gear to get it up in the torque curve quicker too.
I'd start asking for receipts of the build or photos of pistons, etc...
The later 302's, AKA: 5.0 is known as the HO for High Output, but the only HiPo Ford ever produced was the 289.
Sounds like you have a good plan on the suspension though.
with White LeMans stripes.
ScottsGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

You want to GET headers for it? What's it got on it NOW With 13.0:1 CR surely it doesn't have stock manifolds?

You can get a fairly decent idea of dynamic compression ratio from a cranking compression test, but it's always nice to know EXACTLY what you have for internals and to see what head work has been done so that you can pick the right stuff without guessing.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks for the input guys. Right now there are just exhaust manifolds on the car. Somebody told me that they are off a 69 302 mustang. But i know its hitting the zbar and actually knocked it loose while at the shop. I read somewhere i can get a clutch cable from mustang steve to replace the current zbar setup?
I think my motor is a 289 made into a 302. I guess the best thing to do is take it to a shop and have them check for me exactly what i have under the hood and then come up with a game plan.
I read that if the compression is that high i might have starter problems as well and there is the entire issue of gas as well.
lizardking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.