hertz 67 coupe - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default hertz 67 coupe

i have a 67 mustang that my wife's grandmother bought from hertz in L.A back in 68 we have the owners manual that show it being sold to hertz then she bought it from a used car dealer and its been in her family ever since i am just wondering if the is any unknown value that i should be aware of be for we start modifying it the plan is to modernize it mechanically 2009 gt mustang front brakes 8.8 wt disk on rear 302 t5 speed trans rack and pinion the list goes on and on not making a race car its just 289 c4 drum brake car is terrible to drive and my mother in law insists we are ruining it
nos331bp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Although it is rare to find a Hertz rental (more so the documentation to prove it) from 1967, it isn't so rare that it should stop you from making upgrades to increase driveability and enjoyment. The 289 is perfect and shouldn't need any major changes aside from performance upgrades, but the T-5 will enhance performance, fuel economy and long distance driving. I chose to stay with the 4 speed toploader, but I have a tremec 3650 that I may go with if I am not totally happy with the driving experience with my 67. You will probably only need to upgrade the front brakes to disc, as rear discs are more for show unless the car is autocrossed or you just want the added looks of 4-wheel disc brakes. I would upgrade the rear gears to 3.25 on the 8" rear and add a set of the more affordable aftermarket brackets and calipers to utilize later Mustang brake hardware if you have to have rear discs. What will improve the brakes more than anything else is front disc and the power brake booster.
2005 Mustang GT
2003 Lightning
2010 Ford Flex (Wish the wife had opted for the twin turbo)
CHRISCADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

Quote:
i have a 67 mustang that my wife's grandmother bought from hertz in L.A back in 68 we have the owners manual that show it being sold to hertz then she bought it from a used car dealer and its been in her family ever since i am just wondering if the is any unknown value that i should be aware of be for we start modifying it the plan is to modernize it mechanically 2009 gt mustang front brakes 8.8 wt disk on rear 302 t5 speed trans rack and pinion the list goes on and on not making a race car its just 289 c4 drum brake car is terrible to drive and my mother in law insists we are ruining it
Huh?
Stan
President BAMA 2012-
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

You'll have to use some big wheels to fit 2009 brakes (probably 17"). I personally would stick with stock sized disk brakes and run 15" wheels. No need to change the rear end - the stock 8" is plenty strong, and the 10" drum brakes are more than capable. T-5 or AOD is a great upgrade, and should be paired with a new 3.55 pumpkin in the stock rear. Rack and pinion is an upgrade of dubious value, in my opinion - I would use a stock power steering setup with a correct, quick ratio steering box.

Other worthwhile upgrades: Pertronix or similar electronic ignition, dual reservoir master cylinder, shoulder belts, LED taillights, relay-operated halogen or better headlights, top quality tires.

None of these options mean a substantial or irreversible change to the car, and it's still a '67 coupe when all is said and done - never going to be a highly sought after one-of-a-kind. So you may as well make it safer & more fun to drive.

That's my 2 cents...

MrFreeze

- Raymond Chandler

'66 GT Fastback show car, nightmist blue, warmed up original 289 & T-5Z, 3.80 trac-loc, AC, PS, pony interior, Retrosound, rally pac

'66 Coupe driver, Bullitt green, 302HO w/ 351W heads, roller rockers, Holley 600, T-5Z, 3.55 trac-loc, collapsible column, tank armor, disk brakes, shoulder belts

'11 BMW 335i X-drive, 6 speed manual, all the bells and whistles
MrFreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks that was my opinion i already have the brakes wheels 8.8 with perches on it and the t5 got the brake brackets from mustang steve they are cool i have built 20 plus fox mustang and still have a couple so i do have some extra parts
nos331bp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wow! I had no idea Hertz used mustangs past 66'. But considering it's not a GT-350H I would agree with everyone else so far. It's a Mustang coupe that just happens to be previously owned by a rental car company and you should do what you want to it.

Oh, and you may want to try using a few "periods" in your next post. It took my three tries before I could figure out what your post was about.

1968 Coupe - Original Sprint B, J-Code Car
quik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would imagine the Mustang's throughout the '60's, especially the convertibles, were popular rental cars will all the major companies at the time.

PS: You're only ruining it if your punctuation and grammar are on a higher level than your mechanical skills.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5

Last edited by bartl; 11-19-2012 at 04:41 PM.
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

IIRC the famous Hertz Mustangs were Special 66 Hertz Shelby 350H. As quik mentioned above. These were actual Shelby Miustangs and were only 66 models. Urban legend (may be some truth to it) they were sometimes rented and raced. I would think maintenance was a nightmare, no to mention insurance!

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik View Post
Wow! I had no idea Hertz used mustangs past 66'...
Sorry, OT, but...
2006 Hertz Shelby GT-H Mustang - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

Shelby GT H Convertible Rent a Racer from Hertz
Old 11-19-2012, 11:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Still OT, they also produced 150 Shelby GT350 sportroofs in 1969.
Shelby GT H Convertible Rent a Racer from Hertz
66sprint200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nos331bp View Post
With regards to the brakes....the linings have likely been replaced with cheap quality parts...but here is one of the greatest issues and solutions.....

The issue with drum brakes (in general) is youth.......
to start with, the replacement linings at most parts houses have a braking co-efficient of around .25, that is about 50% less than what the oem called for in the 60's (which was .32 or better, most offered .38 replacement linings). Going back to the 70's and through today, linings rated at .49 or better are common and typically sell for around $140-$160 a set. longevity, typically 50k to 100k (miles) depends on your foot. Braking capability, every bit as good as oem grade disc brakes (noticed I said oem grade) as I have demonstrated to numerous "experts"........and remember, the 3/4 scale dirt track Jalopy cars that are running today are required to have drum brakes!

Second issue...most people have never been taught how to drive with drum brakes...yes the techniques, there are specific ones, such as applying pressure to the brakes when driving through water to keep the linings dry, etc.

3rd issue, 99% of today’s mechanics have never been taught the techniques of installing drum brakes...such as, cutting the linings to channel water out towards the backing plates (there are a few requirements on specifically how to do that).

Granted, disc do provided a lot of advantages, but that does not, nor should imply that a proper set of drums/linings, installed correctly should be any less safe.
It really all boils down to the friction co-efficient....anything greater than .49 will be better than oem in terms of its ability to bite. I would avoid Wagner, Raybestos & any rotor from the chain stores...as they are all made at the same foundry in China (rotors/drums)

With regards to brake linings in general,
Ceramics: They are good but do not develop any more friction than OEM linings

Performance Friction & Hawk: Good braking, increased friction but very dirty compared to OEM.

Wagner & Raybestos: a line of products that is 100% marketing and mfg from very low quality/inexpensive and/or imported products with the mfg's not providing any back-up or support on product failures (and I mean real ugly spontaneous, catestropihic failures)

VelveTouch lining- Used for many decades and was the original lining used in all Shelby Mustangs in the 60’s & was the standard on the Hertz cars....with few exceptions (I personally have used the Velvetouch lining since 1960’s until brake lining production ceased in 1986...while still available, they are for very limited applications), then switched to Carbotech. Wellman has been the builder of braking linings for all of the Formula 1 race teams for more than 30 years and VT is now available again.

CarboTech Engineering lining, which I have used for about 20+ years and been very happy on multiple full size (V8) cars and trucks. This particular lining has a high friction co-efficient, excellent pedal feel, wears (typically 50,000 to 75,000 miles before replacement is required) and produces less dust than OEM linings.

EBC also makes an excellent organic lining......almost dust free with excellent co-efficient.

I highly recommend speaking to them by phone for linings that would be best for your application. Fyi- braking co-efficient is what identifies the bite rating of the linings- you want the CE to be no less than that of the OEM.....this will drive most e-base distributors & big box store "experts" right out of their mind because they either cannot verify this info or you will find the spec is less than oem. IMHO, i would look for a CE that is .49 or greater.

With regards to drums (and rotors for that matter), I have previously run Brembo OEM replacement units that are cryogenically treated at Diversified Cryogenics, making them almost as hard as stainless steel- Applied Rotor Technology in California provides the same product- but I would not rely on their delivery as it is essentially a 1 person shop owned/run by a Boeing engineer who works back east, travels alot and works at ART on weekends the last of my phone conversations with him). Unfortunately, Brembo, Powerslot, Raybestos, Bendix, Hawk etc. are all purchasing their drums & rotors from the same foundary in China (with the exception of the $300 each composite high end units for Ferrari, Porsche, etc).

Both companies purchase the highest grade drums & rotors made, laser mic them for quality, scrap the ones that are out of spec and cryogenically treat the good ones which are now as strong as stainless. DC's service, price and quality are excellent as well.

The C4 auto is an excellent tranny...it was the equivalent to the GM Turbo 350 and can be built to handle anything a SBF engine can put out. IMHO, 1) that car has much "family" ownership in it and 2) minor mods are aways understood, recognized & appreciated by everyone but 3) while I am not a "purist" by any means, even most of the mod & custom guys would be disappointed to hear you had a complete, original, family owned vehicle that you essentially took apart, replaced components with parts that well, really are not going to perform any better that what should have been installed on it in the 1st place....

truthfully, if you are going to do that, buy a dime-a-dozen mustang...nobody will care & all will appreciate. Doing that to an original Hertz.....that can sell for $50,000 to $100,000 depending on the economy & auction, you would loose at least 50% from the mods you speak of.
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

Jeff,

I was with you until the last sentence.

His car is not a Hertz Shelby. Its a 67 coupe that was a Hertz rent a car. BIIIIIIIIG difference
Like 40k-90k difference.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #13 (permalink)

I say modify away. No real value with the Hertz history (unless it has GT350 associated with it).
GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

So Chris, how are you going to mate a TR3650 to a small block?
Someone takes his pants off and the rafters knock
Rock is dead they say
Long Live Rock!
67 conv. 289 4spd(mine), 67 coupe 289 Export(swmbo's)

ylexot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asm109 View Post
Jeff,

I was with you until the last sentence.

His car is not a Hertz Shelby. Its a 67 coupe that was a Hertz rent a car. BIIIIIIIIG difference
Like 40k-90k difference.
You are right................happens when you get old!
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.