NSS Install problem? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NSS Install problem?

OK, so I read through about a bazillion other threads asking various questions regarding the Neutral Safety Switch. I thought I had it figured out, but alas, poor Yorick.

So if I get it, on my brand new under-dash wire loom, I'm supposed to separate the ignition wire connection near the firewall (circled in the pic below) and then connect my NSS into the loom. That makes perfect sense! I can see the Red-with-Blue-Stripe wire near where the plug goes through the firewall, right next to the two Red-with-Blue-Stripe leads coming from the NSS loom. Bingo...here it is:

Ah...but it can't be as easy as that, can it! Once the wires circled above are separated, it becomes obvious that there is a size discrepancy between the NSS wires and the above mentioned wires. See pic:

the NSS wire connections are too big to fit in the itty-bitty tiny little terminals in the under-dash loom. There's no way they're going to fit together. Arg!

I haven't ready anything about this in any of the threads I was scanning.

Has anyone else run into the same issue? Do I need to cut and splice my brand new loom to get this to fit?

Thanks,

Daily Driver
2006 GT Convertible

Toys & projects
1968 GT/CS
1965 Craigslist Mustang
1969 Barn-Find Coupe
1965 Fastback money pit
stephanorf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hasn't anyone else run into this issue? It is a new loom from CJ Pony Parts and an original FORD NSS harness.

Thanks!
Old 11-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanorf View Post
Do I need to cut and splice my brand new loom to get this to fit?

Thanks,
It would be helpful if you would show all four terminals with better lighting. If the yellow end that is pointing up is a male then it appears to be the same size as the red male pin. If this is true they both should have females to plug into. If the yellow one is a female then your right it is the wrong size and you need to replace one set to match the other. If this is the case, because connectors are always a weak link, I would remove all four and replace with a solder splice covered with heat shrink tubing. This would give you the best and longest lived connection.

This link shows one way to do it:
Soldering Tutorial: Inline Splicing - Socialphy

Stagger your splices as below and don't forget to slide the heat shrink tubing on before you connect the wires.

__________________________________outer
__________inner
-----------------Splice----------------------------wire
__________inner
__________inner
---------------------------------Splice----------------------------wire
__________inner
__________________________________outer

Heat shrink wall __________

-----REMEMBER-----

BUY AMERICAN, YOUR LIFESTYLE DEPENDS ON IT!
4mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Can't really see the detail to well, but if you're sure you have the right wires then I'd "repair" the under dash wiring to match the OE NSS harness. Yeah, it's probably easier to do it to the NSS harness, but we KNOW that one is right.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here's a closeup of two of the connectors. The connector on the left is in the under dash loom, and the connector on the right is the NSS loom. As you can see, the male connector is way to big to fit into that female connector.

I wish I had realized this sooner, because now if I want to splice the new loom it will be very difficult since it is so high under the dash and close to the firewall.

I have an urge to create an "intermediate" connection to bridge the two terminals without actually cutting either one of them.

Daily Driver
2006 GT Convertible

Toys & projects
1968 GT/CS
1965 Craigslist Mustang
1969 Barn-Find Coupe
1965 Fastback money pit
Old 11-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
Can't really see the detail to well, but if you're sure you have the right wires then I'd "repair" the under dash wiring to match the OE NSS harness. Yeah, it's probably easier to do it to the NSS harness, but we KNOW that one is right.
Hmm...well, I'm not completely sure I got the right wires. I'm doing this for the first time and there seems to be a lot of discussion about where the NSS loom plugs into the under dash loom.

ok, here is a closeup of the wires I took apart to add the NSS circuit. This is a closeup of the section where the gauge feed goes through firewall. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct place to add the NSS circuit?

Hopefully someone on VMF has re-wired a 1965/6 with automatic transmission using a stock-style replacement under dash loom.

Thanks,

Daily Driver
2006 GT Convertible

Toys & projects
1968 GT/CS
1965 Craigslist Mustang
1969 Barn-Find Coupe
1965 Fastback money pit
Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

The NSS taps in to the wire coming off the ignition switch "S" terminal, which should be Red with a Blue tracer, so that the NSS is in series with that circuit, which then proceeds to the "S" terminal on the Starter Solenoid. An Ohmmeter can help you trace the circuit.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Alright, evidently there are two NSS under dash looms. I think the 1965 loom has the larger connectors and the 1966 has the smaller connectors.

I think the one on top is the 1965 version, and the one on the bottom is the 1966 version.

At least I have one that fits!

Thanks for all of your help.

Daily Driver
2006 GT Convertible

Toys & projects
1968 GT/CS
1965 Craigslist Mustang
1969 Barn-Find Coupe
1965 Fastback money pit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.