Help me out please... - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help me out please...

Hey all,

I'm looking to do a power steering upgrade as well as a tilt column upgrade in my 66. I'm a tall lanky guy so an extra inch or two will REALLY help me on the steering issue, and the old manual box is so burned out that I feel like I'm going to break part of the steering wheel trying to turn it sometimes.

What combo of power steering / tilt column parts do I need to make this work pretty effectively?

I'm trying to keep the budget on it somewhat under wraps. I don't need it to be a race winner, just a weekend cruiser. Power steering that is tight and comfortable would probably go a LONG way towards this.
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
md02geist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

For openers is your steering box full of the correct grease and properly adjusted?
Next there's fairly easy ways to increase leg room by 2+ inches. Dunno what you mean by tall and lanky. I'm 6' 6", the seat mod is one of the first things I do on any car. The dealer did the mod on my 64 1/2 as part of delivery set up.

Tilt and power will easily exceed $1000. Hey on a new car that's a tune up plus shocks!

Get some cats and shop around,

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

+1 on steering box grease. Over time the original stuff turns into the consistency of clay. Shooting some new stuff in there while running the wheel back and forth from lock to lock (helps to jack the front wheels off the ground) to "mix" it back up can help a great deal. +2 on cutting down the seat riser to provide more head and knee room. IMHO the best tilt/power solution would be an Ididit column and Borgeson integral box.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
+1 on steering box grease. Over time the original stuff turns into the consistency of clay. Shooting some new stuff in there while running the wheel back and forth from lock to lock (helps to jack the front wheels off the ground) to "mix" it back up can help a great deal. +2 on cutting down the seat riser to provide more head and knee room. IMHO the best tilt/power solution would be an Ididit column and Borgeson integral box.

Also there's a track mod discussed here at length (pun is intended) that adds 2+" rearward adjustment.

Slim
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys but I still would really like power steering. So if anyone knows a good combo let me know
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
Old 11-21-2012, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post

Does the Borges on mate up directly to the ididit or the stock column..?

:
Next On the Agenda:
Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I did exactly what you are asking... visit my site to see what I did... feel free to ask any questions... it was a learning process that was easier done than said as it turned out.... LOL

1966 Mustang RestoMod Borgeson

1966 Mustang RestoMod Ididit Tilt

1966 Mustang GT RestoMod Project: 307c.i.d.,Holly 600 4brrl, TrickFlow Heads, Power Disc Brakes, Integral Power & Tilt Steering, AOD, 9" 3.50 posi rear end & a bunch of other stuff.

Project start date 1999. Completion date... fagidaboudit!

Hye-Po Deluxe 6-gauge bezel www.hye-po.com

RestoMod Product
http://www.myrestomodmustang.com
Like the MyRestoMod project on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/1966-M...88268267888907
HyePo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 06:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

On a 66, the steering shaft coming out of the box is 3 feet long. The steering wheel bolts directly to it Adding tilt or the borgeson means major cutting on the stock components or wholesale replacement.
Old 11-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asm109 View Post
On a 66, the steering shaft coming out of the box is 3 feet long. The steering wheel bolts directly to it Adding tilt or the borgeson means major cutting on the stock components or wholesale replacement.

Actually, the only cutting that is required is if you are NOT going with an Ididit tilt... then you only need to shorten the tube as Borgesen provides new shaft that is the correct spline to fit into their intregal power steering box... and as far as the difficulty in cutting the tube... one can use a hack saw if they're real careful and take their time to keep it straight... took me about 1/2 to cut and replace the tube/steering shaft assembly... then, of course, I yanked it to install the tilt... which was just as easy...

on a 1 to 5 level (5 being the hardest), i'd rate this a 2.5 for the average person if your car is stripped... 4 if you have to work around everything in place.

1966 Mustang GT RestoMod Project: 307c.i.d.,Holly 600 4brrl, TrickFlow Heads, Power Disc Brakes, Integral Power & Tilt Steering, AOD, 9" 3.50 posi rear end & a bunch of other stuff.

Project start date 1999. Completion date... fagidaboudit!

Hye-Po Deluxe 6-gauge bezel www.hye-po.com

RestoMod Product
http://www.myrestomodmustang.com
Like the MyRestoMod project on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/1966-M...88268267888907
HyePo66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.