65 Mustang -Discs - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default 65 Mustang -Discs

I was surprised to see that the 65 disc brake setup uses a different distribution block than the 65 drum setup. Does the dist. block used in the disc setup split like a T and provide some fluid to the front brakes and some fluid to the rear brakes? If so, then does the front system send fluid to some sort of proportioning valve that then splits the fluid out to the two different front brakes? Just confused how the disc system dist block only has two outlets on it...?

Thanks!
Rob
rhough is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thumbup discs

You pretty much have it figured out. The original set-up is 1 system- MC goes out and you're on a skate board with no brakes. With discs, it's 2 seperate systems- 1 as a back-up in an emergency. You switch to a 67 distribution block to split into 2 systems and use the proportioning valve to adjust pressure so both work together.
69 GT Convertible- 75,000 miles
08 Coupe
08 P-71 Police Intercepter
200 F-250 Lariat, 2010 F-250 King Ranch
PonyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

The '65-66 distribution block has one inlet and two outlets. Front brake pressure in and the out to the left and right side. The master cylinder has 2 outlets, one to the front brakes and the other, with residual valve, to the rear brakes.

The proportioning valve is installed in the rear circuit and looks like this...with a simple inlet and outlet and a spring controlling the valving.

PS: There's no back-up. You split a line and the pedal goes to the floor - period. You need to get to '67 before getting a true dual-circuit brake system.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5

Last edited by bartl; 11-25-2012 at 02:38 PM.
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartl View Post
The '65-66 distribution block has one inlet and two outlets. Front brake pressure in and the out to the left and right side. The master cylinder has 2 outlets, one to the front brakes and the other, with residual valve, to the rear brakes.

The proportioning valve is installed in the rear circuit and looks like this...with a simple inlet and outlet and a spring controlling the valving.

PS: There's no back-up. You split a line and the pedal goes to the floor - period. You need to get to '67 before getting a true dual-circuit brake system.
All most correct.

The second port of master provided pressure to the Proportioning Valve then to Rear Brakes.

NO Residuals on a Disc Brake setup.

GOOD JOB Bartl.

Dan @ Chockostang
CHOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

The pic of the disc setup was very helpful. I have four wheel drums on my 65 and I recently upgraded my system to a dual reservoir MC with a t-split for the front brakes. The brake lines are a rats nest right now and I still have all original brake lines. This winter I want to buy and mount a new t-split for the front brakes, so I'm going to buy the disc brake t-bar distribution block. I'm trying to figure out what prebent brake lines will work best. I'm thinking ill order the front lines for the 65 disc setup and ill order the front to back lines from the 65 dual exhaust with drums. Anyone have experience with this same scenario? I do realize that these prebent lines will not be perfect for my setup... Primarily I'm concerned with the long front to back line and the long line from the t-block to the passenger side front brakes.

Thanks!
Rob
Old 11-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Confused dist block

If you use a 67-70 dist block, it'll be all you need + 1 short brake line from the m/c to the dist block. The prop valve is plumbed into the discs and the rears use the regular factory lines, and the fronts are converted to std disc hoses & lines. If you have the dual m/c, the rest is basic plumbing.
08 Coupe
Old 11-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

I actually have a 67-70 distribution block on the shelf... I think the only thing preventing me from using it is the lack of a brake pressure switch. I need to look into where to get one if I go that route... Which really probably is a good idea.

Thanks for the reminder!
Rob
Old 11-27-2012, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default discs

Not sure what you mean by "brake pressure switch", but if that's the proportioning valve, almost any mustang supplier has them. If I remember, they run about $50.
08 Coupe
Old 11-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

The 67 block has six ports: Two inlet, three outlet, and one port for a pressure sensor that triggers a light (if hooked up) to alert you if you have a brake pressure problem. I have the distribution block already... But not the pressure sensor.

Mustangsplus.com | Mustang Parts :: Brakes :: Proportioning Valves/Distribution Blocks :: 1967 Disc Brake Distribution Block
Old 11-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I went back to an old discussion i had and this is what I need to complete things:
Mustangsplus.com | Mustang Parts :: Brakes :: Brake Light Switches :: 1968-69 Low Brake Pressure Switch

Thanks,
Rob
Old 11-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

What is a pressure sensor??

We need a guidance here??

Dan @ Chockostang
CHOCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 01:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

It is what you referred to as a "light switch" in this post:
65 Brake Failure Sensor

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.