I have a "D" code that has already been basterized with a 1966 289 w/4 speed. The car sat for 12 years. I got it running but it smokes real bad. Found a good deal on a rebuilt 1988 302. Just woundering what I should look for as to what changes would have to be made so it fits into my car. I already have an eldelbrock intake and carb that would fit as I want to stay away from computers and keep the carb. I am more concerened about the transmission fit up.
Dunno what you mean by bastardized? I had a D code 65 ("64 1/2"), the D code was the early generator slightly lower compression A code 289. The big change was alternator VS generator. Many non concours VMFrs would view this as an upgrade. A few more horsepower and alternator which was a huge upgrade from 64 to 65.
The 302 came out in 68 and there is much discussion how to tell the difference between 302 and 289. Many 289s were built in 68 using 302 identified blocks.
Your issue is 1988 vs vintage Mustang. For all my blabbing the 88 timeframe Mustang was a deadzone for me! Is it roller cam, EFI yet? Funny oil pan? Sorry I'm no help!
My '64 1/2 vert. Ordered May '64. D code 4 speed, handling package, caspian blue, accent group, Ford blue manual top.
'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
Around 1985-ish I put a 1979 302 into a 1966 6-cyl coupe where someone had already installed a 289 + BW10 + 9 inch rear. It still has four bolt front wheels and five bolt rear.
I swapped the manifolds, distributor and accessories but left the rest of the engine intact. The 302 has a rear crank sensor which to this day is attached to the engine and the connector just dangles. The challenges I had were related to the balancer and crank pulley. The 289 crank pulley would not fit on the 302 balancer so I left the 302 crank pulley on the engine. This caused the crank pulley to strike the water pump pulley, ever so slightly. I don't recall the details, but there was some issue with ignition timing. I believe the 302 balancer did NOT have timing marks on it. Ever since the swap I have timed it by ear. This is something I need to address soon.
Good luck and tell us what you learn during the swap.
Your original D code was a 5 bolt bell, the 66 was a 6 bolt. My 64 1/2 had a cast iron bell that allowed the use of the original D code 4 speed with a 66 block/bell combo. My engine had been rebuilt using a 66 block. As far as I know the d code 4 speed used a different bolt pattern than later 4 speeds and the 6 bolt 289-302 block. It won't bolt to 'most' 6 bolt bells or the bell used from T5 equiped small blocks.
I have a 91 5.0 ho in my 67. I used all the old stuff but Had to buy a flywheel to fit my c4 trans since it has a 50oz balance. I got some junk yard 4 bolt crank pully to kinda work with the vbelt set up. I plan on getting the correct pully soon when I add a/c
thanks for the help guys. I did buy the motor, it came out of a 1988 Lincoln Town car. I got all the goodies with it as far as pullies, a/c compressor, power steering pump, alternator and injectors with wiring. Which leads to another adventure, don't think I should attach my 4 speed so will be doing research to find a T5 tranny to bolt up to
The AutoGuide.com network consists of the largest network of enthusiast-owned enthusiast-operated automotive communities.
AutoGuide.com provides the latest car reviews, auto show coverage, new car prices, and automotive news. The AutoGuide network operates more than 100 automotive forums where our users consult peers for shopping information and advice, and share opinions as a community.