What's causing this? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What's causing this? (video)

Hey all, was out fiddling with the 66 today and fired her up..no issues starting up.

There was some smoke, lighter color, coming from the exhaust pipe on the driver's side. I also heard...I don't know what to call it, kind of like a bumping noise coming from the exhaust? A definite deep note that was off and on, that didn't sound native to the exhaust.

Once the car was no longer in "fast idle" (it's been coldish around here, probably 40s when I was doing this) it sputtered off and died. Seemed like if I'd kept my foot on the throttle it probably would not have stopped.

Any idea? There's no bang, I don't seem to be burning oil or coolant by looking at the levels.... FWIW, there also seemed to be a pretty high level of condensation coming out of the exhaust pipes. And those streaks behind the tailpipes...what's up with that?

Maybe need to adjust the carb?

Here is a (crappy) video. Sorry it's awful, I'm not sure why my cell camera was so badly out of focus normally it's better.
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)

Last edited by md02geist; 11-28-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added video.
md02geist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

Probably not much to get alarmed about---just condensation. Keep a closer eye on your fluids for a while and if it clears up after the car gets to operating temperature your more than likely good to go..
Old 11-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

The streaks near the exhaust pipes are likely from running rich. I had the same from my i6 while I was chasing carb problems. Once I finally got a good rebuilt carb, no more streak(once I cleaned the floor). Not saying you need a carb, that worked for me, you may just need to adjust the mixture.

George
1966 Sprint 200
It's a dog eat dog world, and I'm wearing Milk Bone Underwear. Norm Peterson
George.Galo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Member

WHITE smoke is burning coolant, do a compression test on your left bank,might have
a blown head gasket, or worst case scenario, cracked block. Hope I am wrong!
Leon Narozny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsehead View Post
Probably not much to get alarmed about---just condensation. Keep a closer eye on your fluids for a while and if it clears up after the car gets to operating temperature your more than likely good to go..

Doesn't that look a bit thick for condensation?
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Narozny View Post
WHITE smoke is burning coolant, do a compression test on your left bank,might have
a blown head gasket, or worst case scenario, cracked block. Hope I am wrong!

I hope you're wrong too.

I'm having my buddy who is a Stang pro come by and look at it tomorrow.
Next On the Agenda:
Old 11-28-2012, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Might not be too much if it is humid outside and not not too cold or warm, you can have condensation from air. Also, could be running a little rich. If leaking coolant, you will find out soon because level will go down or pressure will build up and pop the radiator cap. But does not look good. But try to keep positive outlook.
69DroptopGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by md02geist View Post
Doesn't that look a bit thick for condensation?
Haft to agree it looks a little heavy for condensation. And only on one side is not a good sign But you said it cleared up when the car warmed up I believe.. I'm maybe hoping for the best. Like said it could be a head gasket slowly leaking over in a cylinder after you cut it off. Then after sitting until the next day it's burning it off when you start it. I would pull the plugs on that side and look at each one good. Keep a eye on the fluids---water in the oil, etc. Start it up tomorrow or maybe if you get a warmer day and see if it does the same thing.. Let us know what you find out. PS--but i'm still thinking condensation.

Last edited by horsehead; 11-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.
horsehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

If you do decide you need to pull the plugs on that side pull them just after you first start it when its cold. Then you may be able to tell if there's any antifreeze in any of the cylinders. Look at the plugs real good. And good luck--
Old 11-28-2012, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

For one, if it was a a carb issue, it would be black smoke. Secondly, since it's coming out of only your drive side bank, you can assure the issue is over there.

It looks like water/coolant by the way it fades off. Oil burning kind of lingers in the air (and has a blue tint, hard to distinguish in the video though). What is more common than a head gasket (and much easier to fix), is a leaking intake gasket. Coolant will leak into the number 1 or 5 cylinders if the gasket fails. What intake do you have?

Checking your plugs will give you a better idea. If a plug looks like they're brand new, you can bet it's water in your cylinders, as it essentially steam cleans the plug. Also, look at your dipstick. If it's burning water, your oil will have this 'milkshake' color to it, as the blow-by has water vapor in it mixes with your oil.

My guess on the 'bump' your hearing is pretty common to a misfire (probably due to high water vapor in the cylinder mixture).
Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Head gasket
I6 to 302 conversion (suspension, 8" rearend etc.), T5 Trans, Hydraulic clutch, power brakes, Front granada disc brakes, Aluminum Radiator, Electric Fan, HEI distributor, Headlight Relays, EZwire harness, New fuel tank, fuel lines, brake lines, Restored gauges, Shelby drop to many to list.
To do: Bodywork (done), install new interior
buy many more parts & pieces
More pics of work http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/cr...vehicles/34385
crzyamerican is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:12 AM   #12 (permalink)

Since it goes away as it warms up, my guess is condensation. A misfire will also amplify this effect. Check for a fouled/bad spark plug. Could also be a high amount of water in the fuel or some dirt in the carb.

FYI - one thing I always do is find the low end of my mufflers, then I take an awl and punch a small hole on the end cap as close to the bottom as possible, about 1/8" in diameter as a weep hole to let the condensate that has collected drain out, instead of being "boiled" out as steam.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #13 (permalink)

Fired it up this morning and she is doing the same thing albeit less volume and now from both pipes.

Definitely some liquid in the exhaust, held my hand in it and could feel the drops. Couldn't tell what it was though.
Next On the Agenda:
Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Sidenote I checked the oil and it seemed okay..how long would I have to run it to see the milky color? I only let it run a minute or two
Next On the Agenda:
Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by md02geist View Post
Fired it up this morning and she is doing the same thing albeit less volume and now from both pipes.

Definitely some liquid in the exhaust, held my hand in it and could feel the drops. Couldn't tell what it was though.
I'll stick with Condensation----Where are you located? It was 19 degrees here this morning---friggin cold. Also probably wouldn't take long for the oil to get milky if you had a head/intake or cracked block. Just keep an eye on your oil and your antifreeze level.

Last edited by horsehead; 11-29-2012 at 11:42 AM.
horsehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.