Body cart - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Body cart

Hi everyone!

I am making a body cart for my 69, metal welded.
I have seen a lot of picture in the forum, but nothing is shown where it's attached.
I was thinking to bolted it where the leaf spring is fixed, *just in front of the rear axle, and then for the fwd mounted, at the transmission crossmember? what do you think? is it safe to put the car on the trailer later on?

anybody has pictures where it is fixed to the car?

Thanks to give me some ideas
SR69GT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

For rotisserie mounting, the normal place for the front is on the outer edge of the frame rails where the bumper support arms normally attach. For the rear, there are 2 normal places - either the leaf spring mounting points or the mounting points for the rear bumper brackets. It would work for a body cart as well, but if you are wanting to keep those areas open for painting, then mounting to the transmission crossmember and the leaf spring mounts would work fine. Those points are strong enough to take the weight.

As far as putting it on a trailer, I would ensure that the body cart wheels can't roll by screwing some wood to the trailer deck around the wheels tos erve as chocks that won't go anywhere. Then I would strap everything down really well using heavy duty ratchet straps (not the little bitty ones, but ones that are strong enough to hold a car). I would probably add some temporary wood cribbing under the frame rails to support the body so that it is more firmly fixed to the trailer than just the 4 mounting points to the cart. The ride on a trailer can be pretty rough, depending on the condition of the road.

No worries with moving it on a trailer as long as it is properly tied down.

There was a thread here not too long ago dicussing transportation of a body on a trailer while on a rotisserie - a body cart would be basically the same thing without the ability to rotate the body.
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdd2caa40.jpg
Greg'66 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Lakeland1.jpg
rusty428cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg'66 5.0 View Post
For rotisserie mounting, the normal place for the front is on the outer edge of the frame rails where the bumper support arms normally attach. For the rear, there are 2 normal places - either the leaf spring mounting points or the mounting points for the rear bumper brackets. It would work for a body cart as well, but if you are wanting to keep those areas open for painting, then mounting to the transmission crossmember and the leaf spring mounts would work fine. Those points are strong enough to take the weight.

As far as putting it on a trailer, I would ensure that the body cart wheels can't roll by screwing some wood to the trailer deck around the wheels tos erve as chocks that won't go anywhere. Then I would strap everything down really well using heavy duty ratchet straps (not the little bitty ones, but ones that are strong enough to hold a car). I would probably add some temporary wood cribbing under the frame rails to support the body so that it is more firmly fixed to the trailer than just the 4 mounting points to the cart. The ride on a trailer can be pretty rough, depending on the condition of the road.

No worries with moving it on a trailer as long as it is properly tied down.

There was a thread here not too long ago dicussing transportation of a body on a trailer while on a rotisserie - a body cart would be basically the same thing without the ability to rotate the body.

Thanks for the explanation!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty428cj View Post

AWESOME! that's what exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks mate!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

I use a dolly that has pin's that fit into the sub frame hole's used to move the Mustang down the assembly line.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

That dolly is nice, but on the trailer...don't know if it will work...
But thanks for the pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.