No heater shut off - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Confused No heater shut off

While I was refurbing my heater it occured to me that there is no shut off valve on the water inlet so the heater core stays hot all the time making the car a less comfortable in the summer. When I had a Triumph TR4 it had a manual valve much like a faucet that you turned off in the summer and back on in the winter. Anybody fit one to a Mustang?
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxd View Post
While I was refurbing my heater it occured to me that there is no shut off valve on the water inlet so the heater core stays hot all the time making the car a less comfortable in the summer. When I had a Triumph TR4 it had a manual valve much like a faucet that you turned off in the summer and back on in the winter. Anybody fit one to a Mustang?
Many people have successfully done this. On the other hand, if your heater box and all its seals are working as designed, the excess heat is negligible. Later models with A/C have a vacuum-driven heater control valve.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Make sure all the heater control cables ar adjusted properly. If they are not they will allow heat in the car as well.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Not sure how your Triumph valve worked but the mustang heater hoses are part of the engine coolant circulation, you would need two valves with a connection between them so when you shut off water to both inlet/outlet to the heater core the coolant would still circulate. Or you could disconnect the hoses from the engine/water pump and put a single hose from engine outlet to wp inlet to bypass the heater.

I believe '68 was when they started installing vacuum operated bypass valves.
Jon
1967 Coupe 333ci CandyApple Red w/red int., AOD, 9" 3.50:1, Front PDB
'09 Warriors In Pink V6 w/glass roof - wife's Stang
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Yea, I would say half the project cars I go look at bypass the heater core, not because they don't want the hot air, but rather they don't want to spend the $ on repacing the shot heater core.
GT350R Klone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Just some guy

I've seen what appeared to be water faucets plumbed in as shutoffs. Pretty unattractive but they work. The factory AC setup already mentioned just cuts off one heater hose which is actually sufficient, the Ford engineers seemed to think so. Just to be different I got one from a Chrysler that allows the water to bypass and recirculate. If it makes the sligthest difference over the OEM version I can't tell it.
One of my daily drivers has a single hose cutoff which works fine too but the cable is screwed up. At some point I'll fix it but in the meantime I just open the hood and work the valve by hand. Open for cold weather and when it gets consistently warm enough in the spring I'll shut it back off again. I can change vents enough to vary the heat so I only have to go under the hood twice a year. SWMBO orn the other hand couldn't abide such a setup.
A cable controlled can be worked by hand if you can come up with one. A vaccum operated one will stay in the default position by itself or the other position if you run a vacuum line to it directly from the intake.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT350R Klone View Post
Yea, I would say half the project cars I go look at bypass the heater core, not because they don't want the hot air, but rather they don't want to spend the $ on repacing the shot heater core.
New seals and a new core combined with properly adjusted the cables will prevent any hot air from entering the cabin. It's a little bit of work to pull the heater from under the dash. I assume that's why some don't do it. As an aside, having done all that, I find that my heater works quite well these last few weeks in frosty CT weather and can be shut off entirely at will. No need for heater hose cut offs.

Steve

64 1/2 D code 5 speed Coupe
07 GT 5 speed Vert

Plus 9 more that I no longer own!
Smitten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.