Stock gear ratio - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Stock gear ratio

Wasn't the stock ratio for the 66 V8 a 2.79?

Am I correct in assuming this is a pretty slow gear off the line, like almost to the point where you feel like you have to ride the clutch from a stop or it will feel almost like it wants to stall?
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
md02geist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
I won a special award

V8 cars usually had gears somewhere between 2.79 to 3.25 from the factory. Special performance cars (i.e. Boss 302, Boss 429, Shelby's, Cobrajet 428 powered cars) often had lower gear ratios like 3.50, 3.91, 4.11, etc. 2.79 gears are what are commonly known as "highway gears". This is because they were used to keep the engine rpm's low during highway speeds. This gears are not optimal for off the line performance and hence the reason you have to "ride the clutch" from a stop. With a modern overdrive transmission (AOD, T-5, TKO, etc) in your vintage Mustang, you can run lower gears (3.50, 3.91, 4.11, etc) out on the highway and still turn fairly low engine rpm's. I have 4.11 gears in my car with a TKO 5 speed transmission and my engine rpm is around 2,100 at 60mph.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks that was a great answer. That explains it then. My mustang has what I'm pretty sure is still 2.79 in it and you really do feel like you have to ride the clutch, it's mighty slow on the takeoff. 2nd and 3rd do okay though.
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (In progress) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
Old 12-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Definitely they start off slow as hell but when you're moving already, it'll accelerate. I swapped mine out to 3.40 and I get it great for take off and while I'm driving.
Edelbrock RPM Performer Heads; bored .30 over
Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 600 CFM Carb.
Comp Cam 268H 9.5:1 Speed Pro Pistons
Patriot Tri-Y Headers w/ 2.5" H Pipe, Flowmaster 40S
Ride tech air ride with 4 link
Global West Tubular Arms and Adjustable Struts
CSRP Front Disk Brakes.
Ford 8 3.40 trac-loc rear end

GO RAIDERS!
sdmustangrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

3.40's in mine with a four speed----Not to change the subject but did you fix your engine problem or figure out what it was blowing out your exhaust??
.................................................. ................Mildly built 302, 4 speed, Mallory 6AL, narrowed rear w/3.40 gears. 15X7'' & 15X10'' Pro-Stars, Lowered 1'' all around. Pic. taken at Horsehead overlook on Skyline Drive, not far from home...
horsehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsehead View Post
3.40's in mine with a four speed----Not to change the subject but did you fix your engine problem or figure out what it was blowing out your exhaust??

My buddy comes by to look at it tomorrow.

I started it up yesterday when it was about 60 degrees and there was almost no smoke...the TINIEST little bit that you could only see if you got your viewing angle JUST right, but not nearly what it was before.

I'm honest to goodness wondering if it wasn't just a s-ton of condensation built up. I've just never seen condensation that heavy.
Next On the Agenda:
Old 12-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

'68 J code fastback (now w/ 351W) 4 spd toploader and 8" 3.5 open rear. As built from factory.
No clutch slipping required.
1-18-68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by md02geist View Post
Wasn't the stock ratio for the 66 V8 a 2.79?

Am I correct in assuming this is a pretty slow gear off the line, like almost to the point where you feel like you have to ride the clutch from a stop or it will feel almost like it wants to stall?
I've owned several '66 V8 Mustangs, and looked at a lot more.

Every C code I ever saw came with 2.80 gears.
Every A code I ever saw came with 3.00.
K codes varied from 3.50 on up.

I'll also throw this in: every T code Mustang I've seen had a 2.83 rear axle if it was an automatic car, and a 3.20 if it was a stick.

FYI, the 2.79 ratio didn't appear until '67 or '68 (I forget which).

You would probably enjoy your car a lot more with 3.25 or 3.50 gears.

Regards,
MrFreeze

- Raymond Chandler

'66 GT Fastback show car, nightmist blue, warmed up original 289 & T-5Z, 3.80 trac-loc, AC, PS, pony interior, Retrosound, rally pac

'66 Coupe driver, Bullitt green, 302HO w/ 351W heads, roller rockers, Holley 600, T-5Z, 3.55 trac-loc, collapsible column, tank armor, disk brakes, shoulder belts

'11 BMW 335i X-drive, 6 speed manual, all the bells and whistles
MrFreeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'm running 2.79's with a wide ratio Toploader 4 speed. Mine starts of ok. One important think you have to remember is the over all final drive ratio. Close ratio 4 speeds have a taller 1st gear then a wide ratio 4 speed. As such, it'll need lower rear gears to take off from a stop easier. A wide ratio 4 speed with 3.25 rear gear is going to have a lower over all final drive in 1st then a close ratio 4 speed with 3.89 gears. You'd really ride the clutch with a close ratio 4 speed with 3.25 gears! Big block cars with lots of torque can do this though. It's really important to match your rear axle ratio to your transmission ratios to have an effective combo.

Rehab is for quiters!

Huskinhano is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.