Power Steering Issues??? - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Power Steering Issues???

1966 FB 289 2V C4 Auto Trans with Power Steering, Classic Air and Rally Pak. Approx. 134000 on motor/trans.

A newbie to Mustangs and still learning as I go.

Power Steering went out last night driving home? Have not had any issues with car operation since I purchased last April other than a leaking radiator which I replaced in August with a 1966 used stock radiator with no problems since being replaced.

Background situation when problem occurred...Outside temp was approx. 50 degrees. Driving home after car sat for about 4 hours from about 20 minutes away in mostly 30 MPH street traffic. Got about 6 blocks from home and manually shifted to 1st gear while stopped at a red light. Drove in 1st for approximately 3 blocks to get some higher rpm's into motor up to about 35 MPH, left off the gas and then manually shifted into 2nd gear at around 2000 rpm and then into "drive". All shifting was smooth and had nor heard any issues from motor or transmission or power steering. Did not have the heater running at this time and had the drivers window down. Oil and temp gauges (stock) were showing at their normal operating levels.

Went to turn left and had no power steering. Although the car was still running the steering felt like the car was turned off. Next block turned right to house and still no power steering. Reversed car into driveway/garage still no power steering. Checked all hoses for leaks etc. and noticed none. With what little daylight was left was able to check P/S fluid level and it was right at the full line. Checked belt tension by thumb pressure and has not changed. (I check all fluids and all three belt's tension on a regular basis meaning every time I drive the car which is almost daily).

Just got back home this afternoon and crawled under car and checked for leaks more thoroughly - none. Current temp is 48*. Car started up fine and let idle in driveway for about 10 minutes to warm up. Drove car around neighborhood in "Drive" only (did not shift into 1st or 2nd manually) for about 10 minutes making both left hand and right hand turns and everything was fine INCLUDING WORKING POWER STEERING No noises from P/S, motor or transmission.

I am at a total loss as to what could have happened to temporarily lose the power steering?? ANYONE with ANY ideas or some other things to check??

And thanks in advance for all replies and suggestions

John
(Sorry for the long post but wanted to describe as thoroughly as possible)

My First Mustang
66 FB C Code C4
Code U Tahoe Turquoise Metallic
White/Aqua Pony Interior
subpar63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 05:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Piece of trash got in the Pump internal valve, or the reaction valve in the control--Flushing/actuating when you restarted removed the trash, system resumed to work.

Only other factor that can do this is Wrong Fluid, I doubt that?

Dan @ Chockostang
CHOCK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Are you using Type F tranny fluid? I destroyed a PS pump by using regular tranny fluid. They get REAL HOT!
Old 12-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOCK View Post
Piece of trash got in the Pump internal valve, or the reaction valve in the control--Flushing/actuating when you restarted removed the trash, system resumed to work.

Only other factor that can do this is Wrong Fluid, I doubt that?

Dan @ Chockostang

Dan...thanks for the quick reply... I am using/have used Type F trans fluid. When I first bought the car in April, in checking all fluids etc. the p/s level was a little low so fluid was added. Haven't added any additional fluid since then. Fluid appears clean, nice and pink and has no "burnt" smell to it.

Should I just keep an eye on things to see if it acts up again or would you suggest a complete "flush" of the power steering pump/lines and a replacement of fluid? I guess I am concerned that a flush of system might cause more issues than just leaving as is and seeing if problem reoccurs?

Thanks

John

My First Mustang
66 FB C Code C4
White/Aqua Pony Interior
Old 12-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Excellent point in introducing the new high detergent fluid in the system with a "Flush".

It is dice throw. The New Fluid will dislodge a good bit of trash out of the pump corners, the rams edges, the control areas.

Will this totally disable the unit??

I'd leave it alone if working, and SAFE!

Dan @ Chockostang
CHOCK is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHOCK View Post
Excellent point in introducing the new high detergent fluid in the system with a "Flush".

It is dice throw. The New Fluid will dislodge a good bit of trash out of the pump corners, the rams edges, the control areas.

Will this totally disable the unit??

I'd leave it alone if working, and SAFE!

Dan @ Chockostang
Dan, thanks again...that was/is my initial thought...Will see how it runs and also insure that it is operating safely.

Thanks
John

My First Mustang
66 FB C Code C4
White/Aqua Pony Interior
Old 12-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by subpar63 View Post
Drove in 1st for approximately 3 blocks to get some higher rpm's into motor up to about 35 MPH, left off the gas and then manually shifted into 2nd gear at around 2000 rpm and then into "drive".
Just as a side note, unless your car is modified, this is not possible with the 64-66 shift pattern.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Flush it with Type F, Flush it with Type F...... P.S have you check your steering box lately?
tycooley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.