Scott Drake Brushed Dash - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scott Drake Brushed Dash

I've got a black 68 coupe with the black camera case plastic dash and gauge panel, and I'm considering changing over to the Scott Drake Brushed Aluminium Deluxe Panels

1) Thoughts on the brushed aluminum dash? Or do you think the black is nicer?
2) Whats the quality like on the Scott Drake? Is there anything better?
LukeMustangMalta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

I like the way the aluminum dash looks but I can't swallow the price for all the pieces that are aluminum.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

JME Enterprises has a billet gauge panel but you have to call for price (buckle in first) and availability (don't hold your breath). As for SD quality, I returned a dash button because the horse emblem was tweaked around the edge and was clearly visible in the packaging. I then went for the full package from B&B where they applied their own aluminum inserts but used SD plastic and badges. This time, the horse is cockeyed at about the :05 mark. You know it is the button insert because the trim panel and base for the emblem have holes and nubs that are meant to properly align the pieces.

The gauge panel lacked one or two of the nipples that align the backing plate that the gauges are set in. One is actually suppose to be flat and rectangular in shape, according to the backing plate, but is round on the SD instrument bezel. My repop from the mid 90's is actually closer to the original.

Also, I recently ordered the SD package of fender/trunk/hood badges and am in the process of returning them. There are several pits and welding style boogers/nipples under the plating that I cannot tell if they are manufacturing damage to the cast pieces, bad Q&A or contamination in the plating process that are likely to cause failure of the chrome and, eventually, rust cancers.

My understanding is Burton does the extra step of painting/silk screening the letters on the aluminum appliques whereas others use lettering on a clear tape to label the wipers and brakes. I'm not sure what SD does for their product as I've never purchased on of their complete instrument bezel and the images in their catalog and site is too small to tell. Actually, the image on the site seems to be barren of any script. The image you posted from CJPony should be accompanied by the disclaimer: only a representation of the actual item as that looks like a Burton piece and CJ's does sell some deluxe pieces from B&B.

I like the contrast of the deluxe panels in my basic black interior but I could see a different person with a different interior color preferring the black pieces for contrast. In the end, this is just my opinion.

Is there anything better...? NOS or re-plated originals.
BiffStroganoffsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeMustangMalta View Post
I've got a black 68 coupe with the black camera case plastic dash and gauge panel, and I'm considering changing over to the Scott Drake Brushed Aluminium Deluxe Panels

1) Thoughts on the brushed aluminum dash? Or do you think the black is nicer?
2) Whats the quality like on the Scott Drake? Is there anything better?

1) I like the black camera case finish...looks classy to ME. You should do what YOU like!
2) Research it and if you want the best be prepared to pay.

Slim

'68 vert. driver. Owned since '77. C code AT, AC, PS, P disc B, PT lime gold, standard black interior and top. NOS RF fender and left quarter.New top and folding glass.
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

The aluminum dash looks great but the price it too much in my opinion.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you choose to to go with the brushed aluminum, make sure you get all the dash pieces from the same manufacturer because different manufacturers use different rolls of brushed aluminum and they may not match if you mix and match. Your salesman should be able to tell who they get it from. I know Mustangs Unlimited sells both Burton Reproductions and Scott Drake. I personally used the Burton Reproductions because the quality of the pieces seemed to be superior. (As a side note, the Scott Drake has a more concourse design).

Past - 1969 Ford Torino
Past - 1971 Dodge Challenger
Past - 1971 Triumph TR-6
Current - 1967 Mustang Fastback (Early GT-350 Tribute) - In Progress
Current - 1968 Mustang Fastback (GT-350 Replica)

red67fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 06:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

I used the kit from Burton. Costly but definitely high quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.2 KB, 24 views)

68 Lime Gold Coupe
69 Gulfstream Aqua Coupe
89 25th Anniversary Red GT Convertible

Agreen68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.