power door lock install. - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default power door lock install.

wanting to convert to power door locks, and an alarm system. what are some decent brands that anyone here has used? and any advice/pics or anything that can help me would be awesome. the alarm is going to come later, I atleast want to add power locks to it and have no idea where to start? any info would be great. thanks guys! its a 68 coupe.
ArmyOfEchoes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

I just installed a set made by Spal. It has its own relay controller box and is a central locking system. It locks and unlocks both doors together. They have great US support if you have questions. I added an Autoloc wireless control so I can lock/unlock remotely. Same kit has provisions to remotely unlock trunk, operate power windows, etc. Am pretty pleased so far.
miketyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have a kit made by Electric Life. It's not installed right now since I am getting ready to paint my car, but I have mocked everything up inside the doors and tested it. It's a universal kit, so you have to come up with a way to mount the actuators and connect them to the door lock rod. I don't know what the inside of a '68 door looks like, but I would imagine it is similar to a '66. I am mounting the actuators in the bottom rear of the door between the rear glass run and the door shell. I had to make up some brackets to hold the actuators, so what I did was take some thick sheet metal and make up a bracket the is held in place by the rear glass run - the bracket gets sandwiched between the glass run and door shell. You might also have to drill an additional hole in each a-pillar and door for the actuator wiring. The kit includes a central locking module so that if you use a key to unlock or lock the doors it will lock/unlock the other door with it.

You can get the kit with or without keyless entry. I got the keyless entry kit that also has an output for a trunk release. I got the trunk release kit as well - that acuator is a lot easier to mount that the ones in the door.

I'll take some pictures this evening and post them.
TwEECer EFI tuning
T56 6-speed
Rod & Custom Motorsports IFS
TCP subframe connectors
Vintage Air Heat & AC

'99 Black Cobra - Daily driver
http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/a...psdd2caa40.jpg
Greg'66 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

I bought some fox body Mustang power lock actuators from the local parts store. Was able to hook it to the existing lock mechanism, seemed to work pretty well. I don't have any pics though, sorry. I was just testing it before I disassembled the car, never hooked up switches, so I'm not sure how I'm going to handle that.
Ford.P51 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to frontshadow

Electric Life rules! Built to last and looks great. If you like, there is a guy on Ebay that makes a switch (substitute the one that comes with the Electric Life kit), that works with your existing roll up handles.....to the look, nothing has changed. You just bump the handle up or down to move the window. Also, Electric Life has a great alarm kit that will also, roll windows down with remote. Locks both or one door at a time.
frontshadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2013, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

gunna do what this guy did here Power Door locks install - Ford Mustang Forums does anyone have any pics i can go off of? especially on how to wire it up
Old 01-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

2 Door MES Central lock Kit: A1 Electric Online Store

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

good link, but i already have the actuators and relays, just need clarity on how to hook it all up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.