Autozone engine - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:01 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzride View Post
Keep an eye on Craigslist. You can find some poor sap whose wife is making him dump his project. I've seen blocks with all the machine work done for $200. I think I spent $500 on machine work just for the block.
For the fun of it I had to see what they had on Craigslist in Germany. If you're going to go the Craigslist route get a family or friend stateside to help. Too expensive overseas. Looks like parts are hard to come by there anyway.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

Ford parts are going to be real hard to come by overseas as they never sold these cars in Europe IIRC, so only parts that somebody had shipped over themselves would be for sale.
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #18 (permalink)

Also, there is only ONE way to get experience, and that is to DO IT!

I guess every single professional out there at one time was inexperienced as I don't think anyone was born with the knowledge on how to build an engine.

Read everything you can on building an engine. Get a photobucket account, and post pics with your questions that you might need to ask on the forums.

I built my first engine by only reading a Chilton book on my car, and a Ford Performance book. There wasn't an internet back then so all I had to go on was info from other engine builders in the area.

I would still recommend building an engine from one that is posted on the net or a magazine article as being inexperienced its easy to over do things like cams, CR, etc, and end up with an expensive PIG, that won't out run a stock engine.

Also, buy a 351w, as when you have the need for more HP you will have a better platform vs a 302/5.0l until you have the $$ to go to an aftermarket block.

With the internet, and I would be there is some good video on Youtube, you will be set.

Last edited by Mtrain; 12-10-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #19 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to graywolf_14

Yea i dont think ill buy it, it says 306hp but dodsnt say what they did to get that. When i worked their a friend bought a 400 than tore it down to check it and add somethings. Im wanting to get 300hp to wheels can i do that for 2600? It has a edelbrock intake and a holley 650 carb already.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #20 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to graywolf_14

Oh and I'm currently in germany but car is in states so won't be doin anything til get their. Oh and they did sell them in germany it was called the T5.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Start looking for a set of AFR 185 heads used, on Craigslist, and maybe the Corral.

I just picked up a set for 1k, that came with a set of Harland Sharpe roller rockers. Like I said, find an engine combo that has already been dyno'd, and start buying the EXACT same parts as they used.

Buy the parts a bit at a time as you find the good deals until you have everything that you need.

When you have built enough engines, and learn enough things about how parts work together, then you can pick your own parts, and know about how much hp to expect.
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 05:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Here you go, this is right down your alley! He said he'll deliver too! Ha...330hp+ Ford 302, shop rebuilt engine, motor
Mustmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2012, 05:21 PM   #23 (permalink)

Be careful. I have heard they bore the cylinders as needed. 20,30,40 over. May not be matched. May never idle correctly.

68 Fastback.
351Windsor-4V, 4sp
Harleydave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.