Autozone engine - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to graywolf_14
Default Autozone engine

ok so autozone sells a reman 302 that supposidly has 306hp for 2600 which doesn't sound bad. Or do you think would be better to get the edelbrock topend kit and just get my 302 rebuilt?
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I vote for build it yourself.

Here is what I usually do. I search for an engine build that has already been dyno'd, and use the exact same parts as they did.

Here is a good list.
http://www.airflowresearch.com/ford_dyno.php
Mtrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to graywolf_14

I thought about that so i could get satisfaction of doing it myself and the emulating others is smart.
graywolf_14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf_14 View Post
I thought about that so i could get satisfaction of doing it myself and the emulating others is smart.
Tw 170 heads with a RPM or Stealth intake and a decent roller cam will make great power without over spending.
cmefly is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sure, do it yourself. I did'nt know AZ sold Chinese rebuilt engines. John--Las Vegas
juan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

You mean THIS ONE?

When they say "$2600" is that just a basic long block or a complete engine? I'd think this would be a MUCH better deal... Blueprint Engines SB-Ford 331ci Stroker/ 330HP/ 360TQ - JEGS

My experience with "factory" rebuilt engines marketed through big-box auto parts stores is that you can end up with a mongrel if you can't control the rebuilding process. You could get a C5AE head on one side and a C8OE on the other, "consumer grade" components, and a build that was done by an assembler being paid on quickness rather than quality.

I'd also give little credence to published dyno numbers for engines that never see a dyno and test run before being shipped.

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd by oil and non-Fram filters from Auto Zone. And I like their batteries. I won't buy parts there. A whole engine? NFW. (No foreseeable way.)

Such low-buck, mass produced engines are typically a hodge podge. A few cylinders might be bored. Others not. They typically have a very high threshold for wear and take action only when outside that threshold. Thus, they won't bore cylinders or machine crankshafts unless they're very worn out.

Do you think the people who build those crate engines are smarter than you? I doubt it. If you can find a good, local machinist, take your block, crank and piston/rod assemblies there. Have them bore the block, turn the crank and put new pistons on the rods. (You can assemble pistons to the rods yourself, but without a large press, it's kinda dicey. And it's not that expensive to have a machinist do it.) Also have the shop install cam bearings. Those are a pain.

Then buy a copy of "How to Rebuild Your Small Block Ford". Read the book from cover to cover, then follow it step by step.

If you boost the compression to 10:1, install a decent cam with headers and an aluminum intake, it will be a very strong street engine. If it's in your budget, buy some good aluminum heads for much better performance. Oh, and have the distributor curved while you're at it.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yep, I was going to do the autozone route, but when I called the builders they couldn't tell me anything about the bore size, CR, or brand name of parts used. Wouldn't custom anything for me either....like the camshaft. After a few "im not sures" I built mine to my specs. It took me a while and came across a few hurdles, but its running. I just hope it holds up. Bored 351w .060, haha.

Mike
mikek69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
They typically have a very high threshold for wear and take action only when outside that threshold. Thus, they won't bore cylinders or machine crankshafts unless they're very worn out.

Where are you buying your engines? Never heard such stuff. I have never sold an engine that was not bored or the crank not turned. Many engines are either marked or come with a sheet showing the bore and crank turn specs. Many engines also come with a sheet showing the oil pressure when they are on the test stand .The link above is from VEGE engine in Arizona . I believe many/most of their engines are rebuilt across the border in Mexico . I've sold a couple of their performance engines over the years and the customer was very happy with the performance and the name brand materials . Yes, there are sometimes issues on mass built engines . Not everyone has the budget to have a QUALITY local machinist build their motor or the time/experience to do it themselves . Always do some research before spending a large amount of money on an engine or what ever else you are buying .

Michael S.

http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/34...600x600Q85.jpg
c6fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

The rebuilder for AutoZone - Surefire Engines Available From AutoZone | Remanufactured Engines | Crate Engines

6F09A 63A 8 26 09D 71 1 5
bartl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to c6fastback

Looks like it is Vege but with a different name and website when used by Autozone or O'Reilly .

Michael S.

http://inlinethumb38.webshots.com/34...600x600Q85.jpg
c6fastback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6fastback View Post
Where are you buying your engines? Never heard such stuff. I have never sold an engine that was not bored or the crank not turned. Many engines are either marked or come with a sheet showing the bore and crank turn specs. Many engines also come with a sheet showing the oil pressure when they are on the test stand .The link above is from VEGE engine in Arizona . I believe many/most of their engines are rebuilt across the border in Mexico . I've sold a couple of their performance engines over the years and the customer was very happy with the performance and the name brand materials . Yes, there are sometimes issues on mass built engines . Not everyone has the budget to have a QUALITY local machinist build their motor or the time/experience to do it themselves . Always do some research before spending a large amount of money on an engine or what ever else you are buying .
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Do you work at or manage an Auto Zone which sells these engines? If so, and you can vouch for them, fine.

But I have seen "remanufactured" engines with a few cylinders that were bored, and the rest were not. I've seen a "remanufactured" engine that had a completely worn out camshaft in it. I have also seen remanufactured engines that were built very well. I put one into my pickup truck about 15 years ago. Thus, I would be leary of ordering an engine from some place far away unless I had some very good assurances that it was a quality product.

So, if you can provide those assurances, that's great. But based on what mikek69 reports, I don't get a good feeling about that builder. They likely use whatever parts they can get cheap. It's an understandable business decision, but someone looking for a performance engine would probably want to know what's inside.

Last edited by Klutch; 12-09-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Klutch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 11:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

Keep an eye on Craigslist. You can find some poor sap whose wife is making him dump his project. I've seen blocks with all the machine work done for $200. I think I spent $500 on machine work just for the block.
ajzride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:36 AM   #14 (permalink)

I agree with AJZRIDE about craigslist. I've seen a lot of engines there. I would search a couple hundred miles radius from you. There's a lot of started projects that are looking to sell. Try using searchtempest.com
Mustmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 01:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Member

a friend had an ozone(autozone) 302 engine. it was junk. no power and it ran hot and when he tore it down the cam was flat and it was bored .040 over. the crank snout was beat up. he thode it in a dumpster.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.