In dire need of assitance - Page 6 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #76 (permalink)
I won a special award

You have the spark plug laying against a painted surface. It's possible you're not getting any electrical contact thru the paint to complete the circuit. When I want to test for spark I'll insert a philips head screwdriver that's approximately the same diameter of the spark plug contact. Then I'll hold that screwdriver where the shaft is about 1/4" from a piece of bare metal that is grounded. That will tell you for sure if you're getting spark.
Link to my Hub Garage and blog about my car http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/maxum96

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #77 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to boushkaa Send a message via Skype™ to boushkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxum96 View Post
You have the spark plug laying against a painted surface. It's possible you're not getting any electrical contact thru the paint to complete the circuit. When I want to test for spark I'll insert a philips head screwdriver that's approximately the same diameter of the spark plug contact. Then I'll hold that screwdriver where the shaft is about 1/4" from a piece of bare metal that is grounded. That will tell you for sure if you're getting spark.
Ok I will try that now. I also took the distributor cap off to see if it was turning and sure enough it was turning fine. So if im not getting a spark couldnt the only other thing that could be causing this be the spark plug wires?

http://i.imgur.com/tc4vIRF.jpg
boushkaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #78 (permalink)

Grab hold of the spark plug wire boot and hold the spark plug electrode against that bolt.

If You're not getting spark, then take it a step further. Disconnect the coil wire from from the distributor and ground it to see if you are getting spark from the coil. Make sure its not just a bad plug wire.

If you are getting no spark from the coil, you will have to narrow it down.

From there, there are a number of possibilities. A FORD shop manual will guide you step by step but you will need a multimeter or at least a good test light.

Do you have a timing light and a dwell meter / tachometer? They, along with the multimeter, will become your best friends.
`

1965 Mustang Coupe

www.not2fst.com
09Frank65 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushkaa View Post
Ok I will try that now. I also took the distributor cap off to see if it was turning and sure enough it was turning fine. So if im not getting a spark couldnt the only other thing that could be causing this be the spark plug wires?
No - it could be anything in the primary circuit wiring, ignition switch, coil, points, etc.

Like I said, if you have no spark from the plug wire, check to see if you get spark from the coil. If so, then you are probably looking at points, cap, rotor, condenser, etc.

If not then it is either a faulty coil or a problem in the coil primary circuit.

1965 Mustang Coupe

www.not2fst.com
Old 12-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #80 (permalink)

Sorry I got the voice mail too late for me to come by before you had to leave. If you in fact do not have spark after grounding the plug to a GOOD bare metal ground try this:

Hook a jumper wire from battery positive post to the + side of the coil. you will get a small spark. That's OK. Now start the car. You have just "hot wired" the engine. If it starts your problem is ignition switch, or wiring going from the switch to the starter solenoid. If it doesn't start I would suspect the coil, condenser or you may have fryed the points because you hooked up the battery backwards in your previous tests. After you're done with this test you are going to have to disconnect the jumper to stop the engine. Don't run it with the jumper too long or you will burn up the points.

I'll be back home on 12/29 so if you like you can give me a call on my home phone, the 540 number I gave you when we spoke and maybe we can walk through some other tests. You've eliminated a bunch of things that it's NOT. Believe me when it finally starts it'll feel good because you'll know YOU fixed it. Good luck.
MACH73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #81 (permalink)

One other thing I noticed (am I'm not saying that this is the problem) but it looks as though your negative battery cable is connected to the firewall. I'm not certain about 1970, but I know that on my 65 it is connected to the block and a grounding strap from the block grounds the rest of the chassis.

You are making a very circuitous route for those electrons to flow.

1965 Mustang Coupe

www.not2fst.com
Old 12-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #82 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to boushkaa Send a message via Skype™ to boushkaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09Frank65 View Post
Grab hold of the spark plug wire boot and hold the spark plug electrode against that bolt.

If You're not getting spark, then take it a step further. Disconnect the coil wire from from the distributor and ground it to see if you are getting spark from the coil. Make sure its not just a bad plug wire.

If you are getting no spark from the coil, you will have to narrow it down.

From there, there are a number of possibilities. A FORD shop manual will guide you step by step but you will need a multimeter or at least a good test light.

Do you have a timing light and a dwell meter / tachometer? They, along with the multimeter, will become your best friends.
`
I checked the coil and there was a small orange spark that wasn't very strong or continuous. Is that whats wrong? Is it the wire itself?

http://i.imgur.com/tc4vIRF.jpg
boushkaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.