In dire need of assitance - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to boushkaa Send a message via Skype™ to boushkaa
Confused In dire need of assitance

Here is what happened. This might be a little long to read but I would greatly appreciate any help or advice given to me. I recently decided to undertake a fairly big project that I have wanted to start for years. I bought a 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1. I had to get it shipped and it got delivered on wednesday the 12th. We tried to start the car and drive it off the truck. (See video)
This doesn't sound good - YouTube

We had no success. We then tried to use a jump box to see if that would work. No luck. So we then tried to push the car out of the truck. We did it and got it into the road. But then we had to get it up our driveway which had an incline to it. We hooked the car to rear axle of my friends lincoln town car. He helped pull it up the driveway while we pushed/steered. Once we got it in the driveway we looked at the engine a bit more. We decided to try the jump box and jump the solenoid. A few sparks flew when we connected the jump box. Then we tried to start it. This time nothing happened. No noise, no movement, nothing at all. What could have happened? What should I do? I already ordered a new solenoid and am going to replace it on saturday.

(Also I know very little about fixing cars. I am learning but I will most likely need the dumbed down version of what your going to tell me) Any and all feedback is appreciated. Even if It's calling me an idiot for choosing a Mach 1 for my first serious car project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0041.jpg (96.6 KB, 103 views)

http://i.imgur.com/tc4vIRF.jpg
boushkaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 PM   #2 (permalink)

buy a shop manual, the FORD one, not Haynes or Clymer. That will give you a good idea how to troubleshoot your issues with the car. Also join your local vintage Mustang club, the experience the other members have will be your best ally.

Z.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

It can be too many things. At least it was turning over in the truck, so battery and starter were working. Next thing is to make sure its getting gas. pump the pedal a few times before you go to start it. It sounded like it wanted to start, so if its getting gas and no start, it could be the timing(spark plugs, wires in correct order). These are some of the simple things. If these don't get you there, find a mechanic.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ok I will for sure pick up a manual.
Also It no longer is turning over. It seems completely dead now. No matter what I do the car wont make a sound when I turn the key ever since I tried to jump the solenoid. I might end up taking it to a mechanic. Should I take it to a specialized mechanic for mustangs or would a normal auto repair shop be fine? The closest specialized mechanic would take a while to get to.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

I think you might have blown a fuse.
McRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

From your video, while it can be many things......it was turning over, sounds like a timing issue with your distributor. If it is not starting now, I am sure you probably killed the battery. Without knowing the age and strength of the battery, it my be toast and jumping with another car, may be little to no help.

If you can get your hands on another battery from a friend, swap them out, if t turns over, now we are looking at spark and ignition. Check to see if your getting spark to all 8 plugs, if so......I gotta say timing. A standard mechanic/garage will work fine for this issue.

Yes....as PDC67Stang said, also check to see that you are getting gas in the carb. Once you have been turning it over a while, can you small gas? Pull the aircleaner and push the throttle and see if gas squirts into your venturis.

Welcome to the forum, best of luck to you and post what fixes it.

Last edited by Fly2xs; 12-14-2012 at 12:42 AM. Reason: add info
Fly2xs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Do the lights work? Does the dash lights come on when you turn on the lights? Start with the battery. Make sure it has a charge? When you first tried to start it did you smell gas? The car needs air,fuel, and spark to run. If the car was shipped they may have drained the tank. Does it have gas in it? Start with those things. When you know you have a good battery, remove one of the spark plug wires from the plug and hold the end near a screw driver or a bolt head on the car. When you crank it over do you see it sparking? If so good. Next check that you are getting gas into the carb. Take off the air cleaner and move the accelerator linkage while looking in the carb. See gas? Good. No? Not good. Oh by the way make sure you have oil in the engine FIRST! Start with this stuff and we will go from there.
14CHARLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

If nothing is happening now recharge the battery if the doesn't work get a new battery.. sounds like it wanted to start what I would do is go to o-Riley's and get a can of starting fluid and the correct oil and filter change the oil.. depending on how old the gas is if it's anything more than 1 year old drain it... use the starting fluid and if it starts rev it a little and try and blow out some gunk if it has any if it still will not start I would replace the spark plugs and clean the carb... theres also a little hotfix for gunked up vacuum lines and such..

i think the idea is that by blocking the air supply to the carb, the more fuel is sucked through the jets and the increase in vacuum sucks the blockage through the jet when trying to start and clears it... at least that's what I heard.. you can take the carb off and clean it correctly but this is a simple thing that takes 30 seconds
if it still doesn't start it may just need a decent tune-up
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

What do you mean by jumping the solenoid? Sounds like it got fried. Will your battery take a charge? I've tested by using a jumper cable from the battery to the starter to take cables and solenoid out of the circuit, BUT, you must be very careful, have the trans in neutral, ignition off, e-brake on, and wheels chocked. I attach one end to the lug on the starter and just touch the other end to the (+) battery lug to see if the starter will spin the engine.
victor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 01:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Fly2xs There was gas going to the carb. I will pick up a new battery tomorrow and try that out. I will try a few things out and see if any of that fixes it or makes an improvement. I might just take it in to my local mechanic and let him take a look at it and give me some advice and if I feel its out of my skill level then I might have him do it or teach me to do it.

14CHARLI I didn't test the headlights but the brake lights worked still as well as dash lights. It seems to just be the engine which is not responding. I will try a new battery.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #11 (permalink)

the starting circuit is doing what it's supposed to. Jumpers or pushing will not help, they just do the same thing the starter is.
Noticed that when it hit during starting that it was clean, not the flooded struggle. Just guessing is lack of fuel related. since it doesn't seem flooded I'm guessing it's not the run side of the starting circuit.
If you pull a plug and it smells strong like gas, you are flooded. Install new plugs and more carefully start the car. On a unknown carburetor vehicle it's best to do any gas pumping while turning it over, and not before. Also you can hold the gas pedal to the floor and turn it over to unflood a car.
sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #12 (permalink)

Bad battery connections will let you see lights as reported but still not have enough kick to turn the starter.
sixseven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Default starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor View Post
What do you mean by jumping the solenoid? Sounds like it got fried. Will your battery take a charge? I've tested by using a jumper cable from the battery to the starter to take cables and solenoid out of the circuit, BUT, you must be very careful, have the trans in neutral, ignition off, e-brake on, and wheels chocked. I attach one end to the lug on the starter and just touch the other end to the (+) battery lug to see if the starter will spin the engine.
Going by video and what you said I would say you lunched your solenoid. Also all that cranking make a starter get hot, you may have a problem there too. It has been my experience from the sound of the car hitting that your not getting fuel. Check any aged rubber fuel lines you can pull your fuel line at the carb and crank a bit, fuel should squirt out if all this is happening and your not smelling fuel from pipes. Take off air cleaner and hand choke by placing hand over butterfly on carb, when it hits pull your hand off. If it coughs back, your timing is off. Good luck
restorationightmare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 09:14 AM   #14 (permalink)

Whereabouts are you located in New York? I'm in Northern Westchester county, have a ton of spare parts,alot of experience with old stangs and a fairly large network of vintage ford/Mustang guys. If you're local I could definitely lend a hand
66HPGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #15 (permalink)

Sounds to me like it's not getting enough gas. Pump may be tired, or leaky diaphram, could be gummed up carb.

68 coupe with a 351W
Mods: a lot... just ask if you're interested
07 gt
99 Gixxer 750 (When four wheels are too many)
Franks68coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.