2.79 to 3.55 swap - Page 3 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsehead View Post
As long as you got lots of cold beer to go along with that steak.

Hey i'll give you a steak and beer to rebuild mind. And I'm in VA too

As far as my driving it will see short jaunts on the highway, probably 20-30 minute drives from one end of town to the other. But for the most part it will be spending its time on back roads, city roads, etc.

I don't really like highways at ALL in a modern car, I certainly do not like them in my old car.
3.55 with Posi, Zoom Clutch
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (enroute) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
md02geist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
As long as you got lots of cold beer to go along with that steak.

How about some ice cold PBR?
2007 Premium MustangCoupe (V6).. Please don't shun me

Done
Replace Full floor pan
Replace Firewall
Replace Full cowl
Replace Radiator support
Shelby Drop done
Front disc brakes on

Up next:

4 wheel drum to disc conversion, rebuild front suspension/steering, taillight panel, trunk floor,302 and AOD upgrade, wiring harnesses back in, and hopefully only patch panels on the quarters

E=MChuck Norris
wareagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:56 AM   #33 (permalink)

Hey Horsehead, where are you in VA?

Done
Replace Full floor pan
Replace Firewall
Replace Full cowl
Replace Radiator support
Shelby Drop done
Front disc brakes on

Up next:

4 wheel drum to disc conversion, rebuild front suspension/steering, taillight panel, trunk floor,302 and AOD upgrade, wiring harnesses back in, and hopefully only patch panels on the quarters

E=MChuck Norris
Old 12-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #34 (permalink)

Im in the process of going from 2.7 to 3.25 (literally just got delivered the new gears + swap kit and all). Running on a rebuilt C4 w/ shift kit via mild cammed 289. I like running on the highway and cruising around town - so Im hoping that this isnt gonna shoot me on the foot - stealing from Peter to pay Paul and all...

1968 Mustang Convertible: Rest/Mod Start Feb 2012 - Ended Sept 2012 with first car show
1964 MGB Restored and supercharged
277 Photos of this restoration (photobucket)
/ 2013 Walk around video
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...h_IMG_6367.jpg
http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/...ps254e2155.jpg
ToneMT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #35 (permalink)

Actually I need someone to go thru the 3.50 TL pumpkin (9 in). I have war eagles rear (8in) here at my house- So if it is possible you might wanna run down for a Sat rebuild session- I would be interested- I have tools/shop, and can get a kit- and have both pumpkins ready for you. We are about 70 miles from the NC/VA line (right off 77) So let me know if this is a serious prop. OP may have the ability to get his rear to this area (still coming this way?) So maybe 3 to rebuild? Since you'd likely be full (of steak) I will pay cash
dzahm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzahm View Post
Actually I need someone to go thru the 3.50 TL pumpkin (9 in). I have war eagles rear (8in) here at my house- So if it is possible you might wanna run down for a Sat rebuild session- I would be interested- I have tools/shop, and can get a kit- and have both pumpkins ready for you. We are about 70 miles from the NC/VA line (right off 77) So let me know if this is a serious prop. OP may have the ability to get his rear to this area (still coming this way?) So maybe 3 to rebuild? Since you'd likely be full (of steak) I will pay cash
+++++++++++1

Done
Replace Full floor pan
Replace Firewall
Replace Full cowl
Replace Radiator support
Shelby Drop done
Front disc brakes on

Up next:

E=MChuck Norris
Old 12-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle View Post
Hey Horsehead, where are you in VA?
I'm located about 30 Minutes west of Charlottesville, Virginia. Over across the mountain in the valley....
horsehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 11:52 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm located about 30 Minutes west of Charlottesville, Virginia. Over across the mountain in the valley....
Looks like about a 4 hour trip to Statesville (where my and dzahm's rears are).

You up for it if we get the stuff needed?

Done
Replace Full floor pan
Replace Firewall
Replace Full cowl
Replace Radiator support
Shelby Drop done
Front disc brakes on

Up next:

E=MChuck Norris
Old 12-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by md02geist View Post
What would be fun around town without being insanely high on the interstate, coupled with a 4-speed toploader then?
Well...my take on it is that step 1 is to replace the transmission and then step 2 is to get a rear axle ratio that works well with the new tranny.

Here's was "logic" on it.

A C4 has a 1st gear ratio of 2.46:1
A 4R70W has a 1st gear ratio of 2.84:1

So...if you did not change your rear axle ratio, but just changed your transmission, you'd have an "effective" change of 1.154 X additional torque, in 1st gear, at the rear wheels. This, by itself, would be equal to you changing from your 2.79 to a 3.25 R&P (well...almost anyway).

And the overdriven gear is .7 on a 4R70W, which means a 30% reduction in highway RPM (it's actually more than that, because it has a lockup torque convertor unlike a C4 that doesn't).

So...you don't want that 30%, so you can back that down by changing your rear axle ratio.

Going to a 3.55 set at that point means 27% increase in RPM in all gears compared to the 2.79....giving back most of the 30%....but the lock up TC means 200 to 300 rpm less by itself.

MPG soars on the highway and the car now has 1.154 transmission increase X 1.27 rear axle increase = 1.468.

So....you now have 47% more effective gear off the line and BETTER (not worse) highway gear ratio.

That's how i looked at it anyway. I did my transmission conversion first and the 3.55's next. Then again, my c4 was pretty much toast...so that helped make the decision.

Phil

"Two barks means faster!" Enzo
HoosierBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #40 (permalink)

Damn Phil, you come up with all those numbers off the top of your head

Done
Replace Full floor pan
Replace Firewall
Replace Full cowl
Replace Radiator support
Shelby Drop done
Front disc brakes on

Up next:

E=MChuck Norris
Old 12-20-2012, 05:12 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:

I'm in Richmond, you ain't far from me
Next On the Agenda:
Interior - Soundproof, new carpet, tilt column (in progress), new steering wheel, seat extenders, Motolita MK3 (in progress)
Exterior/Body/Performance:T5 (enroute) weatherstripping, power steering (in progress)
Old 12-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierBuddy View Post
Well...my take on it is that step 1 is to replace the transmission and then step 2 is to get a rear axle ratio that works well with the new tranny.

Here's was "logic" on it.

A C4 has a 1st gear ratio of 2.46:1
A 4R70W has a 1st gear ratio of 2.84:1

So...if you did not change your rear axle ratio, but just changed your transmission, you'd have an "effective" change of 1.154 X additional torque, in 1st gear, at the rear wheels. This, by itself, would be equal to you changing from your 2.79 to a 3.25 R&P (well...almost anyway).

And the overdriven gear is .7 on a 4R70W, which means a 30% reduction in highway RPM (it's actually more than that, because it has a lockup torque convertor unlike a C4 that doesn't).

So...you don't want that 30%, so you can back that down by changing your rear axle ratio.

Going to a 3.55 set at that point means 27% increase in RPM in all gears compared to the 2.79....giving back most of the 30%....but the lock up TC means 200 to 300 rpm less by itself.

MPG soars on the highway and the car now has 1.154 transmission increase X 1.27 rear axle increase = 1.468.

So....you now have 47% more effective gear off the line and BETTER (not worse) highway gear ratio.

That's how i looked at it anyway. I did my transmission conversion first and the 3.55's next. Then again, my c4 was pretty much toast...so that helped make the decision.

Phil

That's pretty solid thinking, but I really have no desire to go to an automatic.
Next On the Agenda:
Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #43 (permalink)

I've just done exactly this swap. I used Yukon gears with a TruTrac and it has turned out a little noisy but seems to be settling down with time. I would recommend getting any gears you buy (including new) lapped before fitting just to be extra sure they are quiet.

Last edited by lukep6470; 12-20-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: spelling
lukep6470 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #44 (permalink)

I have a 3:50 with mild modified 289 and C4. Strong off the line, no problem around town. Often go to car shows, longest 200 mi round trip. No problems but I seldom go over 70 mph; mpg is 16-17 same as new 2:79 (but not over 70 lol!)

Ordered a new Acapulco Blue Coupe in 67. Long gone to midwest rust. Now have a 67 white coupe. 289 4V C4 headers Comp Cam. Black interior & top. Runs strong!

Dave DeAre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #45 (permalink)

Try Joes High Performance. I've bought several center sections from him with no issues whatsoever. 1-724-459-5050 or 1-724-459-8562. I shopped around and he has pretty decent prices too.
66DavesGT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.