Silver Springs sellout - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Silver Springs sellout

Thought I would try and make the Silver Springs Mustang show this year and still hope to. I was surprised today to call and find out that they already have over 1500 entrants. Its not soldout but the first 1000 free entry is already surpassed. I found a room at a Holiday Inn where the Yellow Mustang group are staying and it just so happens I'm taking my 64.5 yellow vert. Looking forward to having a good time. Who else is going.

Last edited by tooponies; 12-18-2012 at 07:07 PM.
tooponies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

i'm going this year, my first time.

fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 02:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Smile

I'll be going as it'll be my first Mustang show. But I won't enter my car. (nowhere near car show standards...yet)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joes371 (6).jpg (62.0 KB, 20 views)
1970 Mustang Coupe 302 C4 A/T 3:00 axle Autolite 2100D 2V with Fctory Saddle vinyl roof Factory AC w/ CAA update Deluxe Marti Report

2013 GT Premium Coupe Equip. Group 400A MT82 Axle Promo Pkg. All Stock ( Some Apperance Mods )
Harleyjoe43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Harley, I better fill you in on the ins and outs of this show. If you show up without a car to enter, you're going to be really disappointed (and poorer).

This show isn't judged, it's just people's choice... And we only give out ONE award per-class, and given the size of the classes, 90+% of the cars sharing your class with you will wind up empty-handed as well..

This show isn't about awards, or judging teams picking your car apart... It's just a relaxing large gathering of Mustangs and most every Ford product under the sun you can imagine, tossed into a beautiful park setting, to visit and mingle and check out everyone else's stuff. Viewing your thumbnail, you will most certainly NOT be feeling conspicuous in any way. Your car is very typical of what shows up, this show was MADE for your car, a big event that you don't need a big-dollar car to be part of.

That said, the more-primary reason you need to bring your car with you is that ONLY PARTICIPANTS gain access to the park at our low $21/car (which gets the driver and one passenger in) weekend rate. This show is held inside a theme park. If you just "show up to see the show", you'll find yourself standing in line at the Silver Springs ticket booth, and shelling-out the going-rate for an adult-Florida-resident-day-pass. If you bring a guest with you, you could be out more than 3-times the cost of the show package that includes two weekend passes.

So this goes for EVERYBODY who wants to see the show, but doesn't wish to participate. It just doesn't work that way here. You have to get into the park to see the show, just as if there was a show in front of Cinderella's castle at Disney. The cheapest way to gain access is to enter your car, even if it's a high-mile Aerostar minivan. We don't care what it is, just as long as it's powered by Ford.

Everybody pray for good weather!!

Rick
NPD
69bossnine is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Show sounds awesome!
I do a small show every year 100-125 cars and would like to get away from judging.

"This show isn't judged, it's just people's choice... And we only give out ONE award per-class"

How do the cars get voted for?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

For future reference, the first 1,000 free entries literally go in the first week the flyer/show is posted on the NPD site. Got to know the show dates and keep tabs on their site if you want to be in the first 1,000. But even at $21 it is worth it. Great event and for those that like ALL year Mustangs as well as Ford powered you WILL find something cool there to look at/take pics/talk to the owner.
StrokerDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwk66 View Post
Show sounds awesome!
I do a small show every year 100-125 cars and would like to get away from judging.

"This show isn't judged, it's just people's choice... And we only give out ONE award per-class"

How do the cars get voted for?
We include a ballot in each show entry package. So it's participant's choice. You choose one car per-class, a total of 21 classes if my memory is right. Ballots are turned-in by end-of-day Saturday, tallied overnight, and awards given Sunday afternoon.

In recent years, I've really had to follow-behind the class results because certain groups (friends/clubs) have been guilty of "colluding" to get a car or cars within their group pushed to the top... And usually the car(s) they're stuffing the box for is far from what could/would fairly be considered the best of the class. I really frown on such behavior, people should go out and look at everything and make their OWN PERSONAL choices based on what they personally like. Best of class awards should not be engineered by a group, they should reflect individual thought.

So we have methods/programming in place now that identifies groups of ballots that vote in unison, and if I see a group that's engineering themselves to unfairly "snake" a bunch of awards, I become judge and jury, plain as that, and those ballots get tossed.. No patience for cheaters/exploiters.

Any-hoo, I always hated going to shows where there were 100 cars, and 120 trophies distributed. What's the point? All this money that could have gone to the show's charity or cause, instead BLOWN on redundant pieces of feel-good press-board plaques handed to every single participant for no other reason than "they showed up".

I don't believe in that, it's an adult version of the recent youth sports league policies where "everyone's a winner"... C'mon, are we not all adults now?

I figure, that when you spread out only 30-some trophies amongst 1,000+ cars, you accomplish two things... Everybody forgets about "obsessing" over the competition and nit-picking, and just goes about enjoying their day in a more relaxed mood. And for those who ARE fortunate enough to win, you actually WON SOMETHING SPECIAL... It's not just an obligatory "thanks for showing up" award to add to your stack, it's a real accomplishment to be proud of.

Any-hoo, that's been my operating theory, and it seems to have been pretty popular. Keep the amount of awards low, so that they actually mean something if you win one. Then, lower the registration-fee of your show according to the money you've saved by not having to buy so many damn trophies, OR, give your extra cash-surplus to a worthy charity. Then do participants-choice, but don't be afraid to audit the ballots to cull-out potential cheating-clubs in your midst. And last, make sure everyone knows the whole thing is just for fun, no harm or foul if you don't win. And that's how Silver Springs is run...

Last edited by 69bossnine; 12-19-2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

can you enter a project car and bring it in on a trailer? lol. mine looks about the same as it is in my sig right now. actually next year i should be driving the car. can you bring a non painted ( primer/paint combo
) into the show? i'll be going anyway, always heard it was a great show. can't wait.

fordguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Administrator

After winning my division in a couple of MCA shows in my division (I'm not bragging, really!), I can tell you that talking with other owners and participants is WAY more fulfilling. I'm always getting ideas for my car and sharing my experiences putting it together.
So, take your car and have a great time.
Stan
President BAMA 2012-
'65 Fastback Mustang Monthly March 2013 http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featur...tang_fastback/
NorCal Forum

If you can read this, thank a teacher. Since it's in English, thank a soldier
aslan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

My car is entered but it also under construction and doesn't run can I bring it in on the trailer and unload than go back out and park the trailer??

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Lakeland1.jpg
rusty428cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

You're talking about over 1,000 cars trying to get into the park through a single 1-lane entrance, and get parked within 3 hours time. There is no such thing as "getting back out with the trailer", it's a 1-way trip. And our parking staff is in a frenzy, they need to average a car-placed and powered-down every 10 seconds... A trailer rolling in and doing an unload directly onto the showfield would be like trying to tie your shoes smack in the middle of "The Running of the Bulls"... You'd be gored for sure. Lastly, there's no room in the show to accommodate leaving the trailers inside the show, or a truck & trailer with a car on it. We have to economize every blade of grass just to fit the registrants.

And at the end of the show, you wouldn't be able to get in with your trailer until most of the park had emptied.

So it's a good idea to bring a running car. We do get some non-running projects accommodated for certain supplier/magazine displays, or charities, but those are arranged for and placed the day prior. See me if you've got something special.

Regarding whether your car is in paint, or primer, or various shades thereof, WE DON'T CARE!! There's no selection committee here, if it runs and it's Ford powered, it's in the show, even if the car is covered in astro-turf...

Last edited by 69bossnine; 12-19-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

How about my Factory 428 boat--it's Ford powered. LOL Sounds like fun.

Last edited by horsehead; 12-19-2012 at 02:01 PM.
horsehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

A Car Show in January? What the heck are you guys smoking
I would love to attend but man i would have to drive through a lot of snow (and salt) to get there. I dont think my tires are rated for snow travel. Well i guess i will be thinking about you guys at your show ... hope it is fun! Damn in need to get out of Wisconsin!
fast65ford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bossnine View Post
You're talking about over 1,000 cars trying to get into the park through a single 1-lane entrance, and get parked within 3 hours time. There is no such thing as "getting back out with the trailer", it's a 1-way trip. And our parking staff is in a frenzy, they need to average a car-placed and powered-down every 10 seconds... A trailer rolling in and doing an unload directly onto the showfield would be like trying to tie your shoes smack in the middle of "The Running of the Bulls"... You'd be gored for sure. Lastly, there's no room in the show to accommodate leaving the trailers inside the show, or a truck & trailer with a car on it. We have to economize every blade of grass just to fit the registrants.

And at the end of the show, you wouldn't be able to get in with your trailer until most of the park had emptied.

So it's a good idea to bring a running car. We do get some non-running projects accommodated for certain supplier/magazine displays, or charities, but those are arranged for and placed the day prior. See me if you've got something special.

Regarding whether your car is in paint, or primer, or various shades thereof, WE DON'T CARE!! There's no selection committee here, if it runs and it's Ford powered, it's in the show, even if the car is covered in astro-turf...
I was afraid of that. I had my race car there a couple of times and I know about the one way traffic and it was a long way to drive in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3.../Lakeland1.jpg
rusty428cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Yep, every show that's in a "special" setting or venue has a handful of trade-offs, such as Mustangs & Mustangs where you're cut-off from entering late once the show begins due to the active airstrip...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.