Top loader 4sp - Page 2 - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65mustang View Post
I have a top loader 4sp in my 65. For some reason it does not like to down shift from 2nd to 1st. Some times I cant get it into first until I make a complete stop. Down shifting in other gears it works just fine.
Any ideas?
Syncro rings are tired.
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

What transmission oil are you running?

If your using a fully synthetic I can see that causing problems with the synchro rings or adding to an existing problem with them.

The toploader was designed for GL-4 spec and its hard to find in your regular auto parts store. A Ford service desk should be able to get the Motorcraft 75W-90 GL-4 spec gear oil. It is part # XT-4-QGL which is 1 quart, I believe you need 2 quarts. As a heads up if the person at the service counter tells you that part # is listed as "ADDITIVE - OIL - FRICTION MODI" you can tell them Motorcraft needs to fix the description in their system

Transmission fluid chart showing XT-4-QGL is listed as "SAE 75W-90 API GL-4 GEAR OIL (QUARTS)":
https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubrican...f/mantrans.pdf

Fast68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast68 View Post
What transmission oil are you running?

If your using a fully synthetic I can see that causing problems with the synchro rings or adding to an existing problem with them..........."
I can appreciate that people want to use the oil Ford specified back in the day. But I can testify that all the issues one hears about as a result of using a GL-5 synthetic, or a synthetic engine oil, are greatly overblown. And the benefit of greatly reduced friction when going synthetic is a huge plus, that cannot be overstated. I drive my classic cars in the real world, not in a laboratory. In a lab there is always an issue with a stray electron that left it's orbit and went astray. The sky is falling the sky is falling and our synchro rings have lost their way, or some such BS.

In my little corner of the real world I drive the pi** out of my machines because thats what makes me grin. I use all synthetic oil products, the engine oil, transmission & rear end lubes, etc. They work just fine, if they didn't, or if I had ANY measurable wear in the engine of transmission, I'd drop them in a flash.

Z.

Last edited by zray; 12-24-2012 at 05:48 PM.
zray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 08:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Supporting Member

do not use synthetic. the Shell rotella 80-140 gl5 works great. castrol 80-140 gl4 is seems to be the ultimate if you can find nos somewhere. yes 80-140 works better then 75-90.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

I was under the impression 75-90 for most climates and 80-140 for hot climates...?
Old 12-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I was under the impression 75-90 for most climates and 80-140 for hot climates...?
I've zero issues using Mobil 1 75w-90 or Mobil 1 75w-140 in Texas, driving in temperatures from 25 degrees to 110 degrees.

Maybe I'm just lucky

Z.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #22 (permalink)
Supporting Member

Quote:
75-90 was the norm for all climates until Dan Williams and a few others started trying different oil to see if it any made the trans shift easier. the 80-140 is easier to shift for some wild reason. even if you use 75-90 in cold weather and park the car outside its best to leave it in neutral. i lived in Clinton Iowa for a year and had to park my 66 outside. the trans had 75-90. when i came out to go to work at 5 a.m. with it snowing and the temp 30 or lower the trans was hard to shift. i started leaving it in neutral and after about a minute(iirc) after starting the engine the oil was warm enough to shift it.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

I took a poke online on Toploader transmission oil and this page is summarizing everything we are all saying, just in different contexts:

Oiling Specifications

It seems to point out though if your having trouble with your transmission you can't go wrong with standard 75W-90 gear oil on the syncro's.

Last edited by Fast68; 12-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.