67 fastback Radiator - Vintage Mustang Forums
Vintage Mustang Forum
HomeForumGalleryClassifiedsAbout UsAdvertiseContact Us
» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Go Back   Vintage Mustang Forums > General Discussion > Vintage Mustang Forum
Vintage-Mustang.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 67 fastback Radiator

hello,
I have a non stock 351W in my 67 fastback...the radiator has a pinhole leak that I was going to repair...now I thought Id replace it instead of repairing. Is there any way to determine what type/size radiator one has in this car? So any way to quickly determine a good performance replacement? thanks guys...
fastbackfritz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbackfritz View Post
hello,
I have a non stock 351W in my 67 fastback...the radiator has a pinhole leak that I was going to repair...now I thought Id replace it instead of repairing. Is there any way to determine what type/size radiator one has in this car? So any way to quickly determine a good performance replacement? thanks guys...
When dealing with a modified engine, if your existing radiator is working fine, take it to a local shop & have it repaired...although it may cost 50-70% of a new one, you know exactly what you have, it is 100% new and what the performance level is for your car. If you are looking for a replacement unit I highly recommend avoiding any if not all mail order options....for a variety of reasons...many are chinese components assembled here (marked mfg USA) or outright chinese....what I do recommend is speaking directly with a US based mfg, tell them exactly what you have, how you use it & any concerns you have, they will make all the recommendations and then you can order it either directly from the mfg or online from a supplier.

It is also very important not to fall into the Aluminum is better sales pitch......there are too many design/engineering considerations and impossible to do a side by side comparision of aluminum vs copper core......whether Al or copper is the best choice should be fully dependent on what the mfg determines the need for your vehicle is. I can recommend........

Link: U.S. Radiator | The Difference Is In The Tooling

US Radiator Corporation
4423 District Boulevard
Vernon, California
323-826-0965
They have been around for 50+ years....................
beechkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am a "big fan" of my Wizard Cooling Unit. Don't know what your budget is, but you can at least check them out. They offer just a radiator or a full blown custom build. And Scott mentioned there is a Mustang guy.

Check out a fellow member's here in post No. 20. Mine was built similar to this, but with just two "built in" 9 Spal fans. The fan housing is actually removed from the factory fans and the aluminum shroud is used, reducing the overall thickness of the unit about 1/2 an inch.

May not be the look or the budget you are looking for, just thought I would throw it out there.

Good luck with the search.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I don't know, but I will follow this post as I am building a similar setup and do not have any radiator yet.

68 Fastback.
Was a 289-2V, w/C4.
Now a 351Windsor-4V, w/Toploader
Harleydave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

My '67 had the original 20" wide radiator, I'm adding AC and doubling the hp of the motor so I wanted more cooling capacity. I went with the '67/'68 24" radiator. You can either use the upper/lower straps that the '68 used or make your own. I made my own alum. straps down the sides, you can see 2 of the silver nuts in the right side of the pic. I liked the clean look w/o the straps and it was >$50 to get the straps. Your rad. opening is big enough for the 24" if you take the spacer plates out.
You could have your pinhole repaired and the rad. cored out but you will not have a 100% new radiator or greater capacity.

Jon
1967 Coupe 333ci CandyApple Red w/red int., AOD, 9" 3.50:1, Front PDB
'09 Warriors In Pink V6 w/glass roof - wife's Stang
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Vintage Mustang Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.